Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I know I want ceramic front and rear breaks. Where can I get them the cheapest. Can't find any online, or on eBay. I can get them at the dealer, but 60 for front, 35 for rear. Is that best? Help please

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
You don't want breaks...you want BRAKES....
look under Burgman parts on Ebay...but ya gotta spell it correctly...
breaks means broken..brakes are for stopping.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Burgman 400 03-06 front brakes ceramic is what I search. Never turns up much. Auto correct changed it on here

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Brake pads should be an easy find...
I got a set for my '05-400 off of Ebay...
about $16...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Speaking of Brakes, A few days ago I took my wife for a ride 2 up and the brakes tended to fade at stop lights, almost as though they were not going to hold if I stopped quickly. Is this normal for 2 up? I had to anticipate the stops and start applying the brake early, and then using my boot as the final stopping power. It seems to work fine for 1 up though.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Mel46 said:
Speaking of Brakes, A few days ago I took my wife for a ride 2 up and the brakes tended to fade at stop lights, almost as though they were not going to hold if I stopped quickly. Is this normal for 2 up? I had to anticipate the stops and start applying the brake early, and then using my boot as the final stopping power. It seems to work fine for 1 up though.

Do you know if the '2-year-service' was done,
& if the brake fluid was replaced ??
Just wondering if there might be some
air in the brake lines.
Of course, 2-up adds more weight, so
stopping distances will increase.

·
Registered
302 Posts
When I bought the bike it had been sitting in a barn for 6 years. It had 2 miles on it. I had it trailered and brought to my bike dealer who supposedly changed all the fluids and checked all the seals and rubber to make sure everything was safe. If the brake fluid was changed then I am sure the brakes were bled.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Your bike is unsafe and most definitely abnormal. I would strongly recommend that you cease riding until they have been checked by someone competent.

You can be that competent person if you are diligent and methodical.

Briefly:

1. get the bike naked.
2. Inspect all rubber hoses for swelling/deformation or signs of perishing.
3. Remove all pads and with an assistant slowly and gently pressurise the brake line and observe that all pistons move (use the old pads as a wedge to stop the pistons coming out completely. if a piston does not move then it needs removal and a thorough cleaning and refitting with a new seal.
4. Do this for each caliper set and carry out scrupulous cleaning.
5. Check each disc for surface defects (cracking) and that it meets minimum thickness in accordance with the handbook specification. If the surface shows sign of rusting or pitting, and or fails this visual inspection - replace them with OEM items.
6. Remount all Calipers and pads.
7. Change all the brake fluid and bleed all air, until you get a firm handle and clear operation.

If all this sounds too much - hire an expert.

A safe bike is one where the engine does not start.
A dangerous bike is one with a perfect engine and defective brakes.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Amazon has the front for $25 a pair - two sets needed and Motorcycle Superstore has the rears for $34. You can probably find them on Amazon as well.
And if you are having issues with the brakes and the bike has set that long, I'd definitely do an inspection as mentioned above. May not have to strip the bike completely, but I'd definitely check everything out really well and change all the fluids "correctly" again. I say correctly because he may not have drawn the old fluid out of the lines when he changed it - it may have just contaminated what he put in. Good Luck!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well, as fortune may have it, we have not ridden since my last post due to the weather. It seems as though the clouds have sprung a leak every afternoon, and sometimes in the mornings. My wife's scooter is due for service first. Then I am going to have the shop recheck their work. So far I have had a low speed shudder, and brake fade. Both of these could be caused by old fluid, which they were supposed to have flushed from the systems. I figured that for almost $500 they would have done everything they were asked to do before I got out on the street with it. They have already had to fix an oil overfill problem since then. Now this. Time for a serious talk with them. Meanwhile at least I know that the scooter does work. It has given me many hours of fun. Hopefully it will be fine after a little more work. Only 700 miles before the 4,000 mile checkup anyway, so it IS going to get fixed. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts