Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just bought a new Burg 400 and I know that I need to take it a little easy while I break it in. (Under 6 rpm for the first 500 miles or so).

I'm wondering if there is a minimum distance/run time I should keep it under during this time as well. Since I already have 200 miles on it I guess it won't matter much longer anyway.

However, my bigger question moving forward is... Does it hurt the bike to be ridden for long distances? Is it bad to jump on the highway at say, 70mph and ride for hours on end? I just wasn't sure if this would be bad for the bike...new or otherwise.

Thanks for any help or advice,
David

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Remember, break-in doesn't end at 600 miles. Would recommend going on highway only after that mark. Take it easy first couple of hundred, try to keep her around 5000-5500 rpm and vary the speed. Allow engine to cool off for 30 min every hour or so. With miles accrued, the intervals may be increased.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Do a search for "break in" and you should find plenty of suggestions.

Personally, I'd keep it under 65 for the first 600 miles, also vary your speeds a bit, get your first service, then increase the limit 5 mph every 200 miles or so over 600 miles. You should be good to go full tilt after 1200 miles.

So far as riding all day, once broken in, ride it like you stole it. It's a tough little engine and will gladly purr along at 80-85 all day should you desire. I've had many, many 350+ mile days and long weekends on mine and is running like a top with 45k on the clock. It will run accross country if you want.

Relax and enjoy. Congratulations and Welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Liamjs,

Thanks so much for your reply and suggestions. I will definitely take your advice on all that and continue to baby her during those miles. Its so hard to I just want to let her rip!! Haha. But thanks again for taking the time to write back and welcome me. She is my first of any bike, but I think I got a good one and I am absolutely loving it so far!

David
No name yet - '14 black Burgman 400 (204 miles) - original owner

Oh and one last question if you have time...I have caught myself accidentally running it up to 7 rpm's for a few seconds and then realize and back down to 5. Have I messed anything up by doing that?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've never 'broke in' anything according to the book. I change oil early and often, and don't whale the heck out of it for a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Oh and one last question if you have time...I have caught myself accidentally running it up to 7 rpm's for a few seconds and then realize and back down to 5. Have I messed anything up by doing that?
I'm certainly no expert in this field. Quantum Mechanic can speak to this better than I can. But I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

The 400 is the only bike I've ever purchased new also, and I was less than fastidious during the break-in period. Mine works great and improves with age. Seriously, the engine will continue to break-in for several thousands of miles and they get a touch looser and spin a little more freely. It will get a bit faster later on, say 10K miles or so.

Congratulations.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I would ride it like your normally would. Break In occurs as a result of heating and cooling of the engine and loosening up to a 1000 miles. Surface street riding with blips of highway riding is perfect. I owned a 07 400 for 40000 miles before I sold it to my friend. The key is to perform regular maintenance, it's cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Also, after the breakin period...

This is my standard recommendation for riding the 400...

Depending on riding style, terrain and load, the clutch pads have a tendency to heat up and glaze after a while, 5k-20k miles. It's not a big deal and happens on most CVTs. The glaze just needs to be sanded off. The shops I've had it done at charge $40-90. If you're at all good with your own maintenance, its not too difficult to do yourself.

To help prevent glazing, try to blip the throttle on take-off to 4500 rpm, then adjust your speed accordingly. This maneuver will engage the clutch quickly and limit heat buildup. You can't avoid heating the clutch altogether, but this technique will lessen the severity and extend the time between deglazings.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Read your included owners manual completely. There is a paragraph regarding Break-in.

Riding along at 6,000 rpm's (Not 6 rpm's) means that for EVERY mile you travel, that PISTON and RINGS have honed the cylinder 6,000 times-up and 6,000 down: 10 miles--60,000 times x two. 100 miles--600,000 times x two. 1,000 miles--6,000,000 times x 2. Do the math and project how many times those parts in the entire engine and drivetrain interact to hopefully perfection.

Everything that moves and turns on the bike has to break-in also.

I like to do the same break-in all the time: Get on a small, road less traveled, like the country roads where I live and then just stay around 45-50 mph for the duration of the ride, stop somewhere and have breakfast or lunch, allowing the scoot/ bike to cool down somewhat and then just enjoy the scoot in a non-insane way and follow the MFG's recommendations for the rest of the break-n and let the dealer change all of the fluids etc or do it yourself like I always have done.

Suzuki knows what to recommend to take care of their product, especially when within the warranty period where they may be responsible for problems.

Enjoy and be super careful to the point of paranoia.

Sam:D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm certainly no expert in this field. Quantum Mechanic can speak to this better than I can. But I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

The 400 is the only bike I've ever purchased new also, and I was less than fastidious during the break-in period. Mine works great and improves with age. Seriously, the engine will continue to break-in for several thousands of miles and they get a touch looser and spin a little more freely. It will get a bit faster later on, say 10K miles or so.

Congratulations.
You're right Liamjs. I wouldn't worry either dave. You won't have done any harm as you're not riding it like that all the time. As Liamjs is saying, the 400 engine is very robust.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
I purchased a 2009 400 used and the first thing I asked the guy - if he broke it in by the book. He said no and I was delighted it. The scooter runs great, gets good gas mileage and uses no oil.

The directions in the users manual are useless.
Chet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts