Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Hi Alburg

Thanks very much for that link.

I had read it some while ago and lost it!

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's a touchy subject with some who have strong opinions one way or t'other. My 400 had one mile on it when I rode it out of the dealers showroom and 2 miles on it when I merged onto the interstate for a 30 mile ride home, some of that at 85 mph :shock:

Peace.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was reading the service manual for my AN650 and came across this statement regarding the breakin process for the CVT belt:-

Page 5-27

"It is necessary to allow the CVT belt to 'BRAKE IN' before subjecting
the CVT to maximum stresses.
Brake -in engine speed
Initial 800km (500miles): Below 4,000 rpm.
NOTE:
When the CVT belt is new, the engine rpm may jump briefly
under hard accerlation due to the smoothness of the belt."

Just thought you might be interested.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bleeder.....but now with the LV exhaust and Malossi installed I bet it really goes fast! :roll:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Stormsteed said:
Interesting article. I wonder what kind of run test the Burgmans go through as part of the manufacturing process.
It also depends on the setup person at your dealership. Sam, the setup man at my dealership, is very thorough. I haven't experienced a lot of the common loose bolts, etc. with either the Burgman or the V-Strom because he goes through them thoroughly at setup. Then he rides them - vigorously. I've seen him test ride some of the machines he has setup. Trust me - they are 80% to 90% broken in by the time he parks them. And he usually walks away with this huge smile on his face...

·
Registered
30,277 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I agree with braking in an engine hard. But to take out a new car -motorcycle-scooter and run it at top speed is something you may want to think twice about.. There are hundreds of parts in vehicle that need to mesh besides the engine. Just like you would not put new tire on your bike and head out for some high speed back road riding till they were "seated in", the whole vehicle needs a few hundred miles to "settle in".
If a part is going to fail (as new parts sometimes do)
no speed is good but slower is better :)
Just my 2 1/2 cents worth :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts