Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: I just purchased a new Burgman 400. The manual calls for a break-in of no more than 4000 RPM, for the first 500 miles. I'm a pretty big guy and find that 4000 RPM, doesn't get me anywhere. (35-40 mph). Is it advisable to move it up to 4800 or even 5000 RPMs. Will this adversely affect future performance? Anyone out there with a similar experience?

·
Registered
308 Posts
lavallee said:
Hi: I just purchased a new Burgman 400. The manual calls for a break-in of no more than 4000 RPM, for the first 500 miles. I'm a pretty big guy and find that 4000 RPM, doesn't get me anywhere. (35-40 mph). Is it advisable to move it up to 4800 or even 5000 RPMs. Will this adversely affect future performance? Anyone out there with a similar experience?
Hey Burlington ! I used to live there. great city, it has it all. I plan to ride up soon.

Those break in specs are bogus; anyone who builds and re-builds engines always runs them to full power right on the stand.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Don't worry too much about going over the suggested rpms. Just make sure you don't go near redline and make sure you don't ride at sustained rpms for any period of time. The best thing you can do is to take the rpms up and let them come back down. Avoid the prolonged highway runs with constant rpms.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the into on the break-in RPMS. This will sound like a silly question but you mentioned not going near the red line. What is the redline RPM's on a 400? I don't think it is displayed on the tach, is it?

John

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just took at 300km highway trip on my new 650 and keeping it under 4000rpm was a pain. I kept varying my speeds between 80 and 105 (km/hr) and drove all the cagers behind me nuts!. Everybody seemed to be passing me. All I kept muttering under my breath was 'just you wait, just you wait'. But did get 60mpg on the trip with two up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
bogus but good advice about varying

My salesperson is an old friend and he told me, confidentially, that nobody adheres to the break-in limits. He said the same as many of you - stay off the redline and vary the engine speed. He even recommended run-ups to 5 and 6k RPM.

Varying the engine speed in fully automatic mode means varying the bike speed but if you switch to manual mode, you can run different RPM ranges at about the same speeds. That was his recommendation and it's very helpful for me because I'm sticking to residential streets while I'm learning the bike so I can't exceed about 40mph in most places.

Traning wheels are still on! :wink:

Al

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: bogus but good advice about varying

Al Davison said:
Varying the engine speed in fully automatic mode means varying the bike speed but if you switch to manual mode, you can run different RPM ranges at about the same speeds.
That's a good tip, Al.

I'm doing something similar by switching back and forth between "Normal" and "Power" mode any time I have a long stretch at steady speed. That'll vary the RPM by around 1000 at any given speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts