Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,
Picked up my new AN400 Sat. and had a very cold 20 mile ride home. I noticed in the manual that the rpm should not exceed 4000 for the first 600 miles. Does anyone else find this almost impossible? On my second ride Sun. I tried to do this and I still had times when I had to go to 4400-4600 to stay with the flow of back road traffic. I know enough not to race it or lug it up hills though. Other than that, I love this thing!
Hank

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I doubt if you could find a new owner that has not exceeded the book break in limit, in fact a few short runs at higher speeds should do no harm and may even be good for the engine
-just don't over do it. :)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Hank,

It's very difficult to keep it under 4000 RPMs. The suggestions vary by rider. Some follow the manual to the letter while others ride it hard from the first. Either way, I suggest varying the RPMs rather than just holding it at a set speed for long distances during the break in period. One thread on the 400 break in :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=834

·
Registered
146 Posts
I also am in my break in period, and I've found that I don't have much control over the RPM's, with it being a CVT and all. I go with the "ride it like you stole it" method of break in. :headbang:

Simon

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Simon, you've nailed it! Just run with local traffic...whatever that speed is...but not wide open for long.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Break in RPMs

I just finished breaking in my 400 and followed the advice of the more experienced owners on this site. After all, the scooter does not start moving until the engine gets to about 3000 RPM, so the recommendations in the owner's manual appear to be overly conservative. Also you need to consider your safety and ride with the traffic on the roads you are traveling -- don't put yourself at risk. Your engine will survive just fine -- make sure you do too.

Good luck on your new bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts