Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

With all the infinate wisdom out there.

What is the best breakin procedure for a new burg.

I am pickin up our new 400 tomarrow and I want to bring it up right.

I have to say our because this one will be my wifes, as soon as she takes her basic class in March or April depending on weather and gets her license, she will be takeing this one. She is allowing me to ride it until that time yep pee. Then I will have to get my own. She has spoken.

I have noticed that several people are getting new burgs.

so please old wiseones of the forum enlighten with your wisdom.

Thanks Dan

·
Registered
728 Posts
There was a great article floating around about this. I can never find anything using the search feater here, so you'll have to do the searching.
basically this pro says to ride it pretty hard, right from the start, so that the rings are set in correctly. He said that within the first 100 miles or so, thats when the rings are set and if not done right, you'll never get good performance thereafter.
I hope somebody here will know of this article and pass the info along to you.
I've also been told something simular to this many times by old timers. ride the bike hard after the first 100 miles, If there is a Potential problem, weak area, you want it to come out before the warrentee runs out. I've only owned two brand new bikes in my life, but both were broken in this way, and I've never had any problems with either of them. I did notice that on my intruder 1400, it took about 35K miles before I felt the engine really relax. After that, my milliage went way up, and the bike handled alot differently. Its my most favorite bike I've ever owned.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
I just went to the search and typed in, - breakin 400 - check the Search for all terms, just below where you typed in. I found 33 threads that should help.

When I picked up my 400, I drove it 35 miles home, going through 2 small towns, and hitting highway speeds of 60 mph for a mile or 2 then slowing down. I changed the oil @ 250 and 600.

The main thing is, varying the rpm, Don't hold it steady too long, AND Change the oil

I broke in my 650 the same way.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I too use this method. Note! I never get any where near redline but I'm not afraid to get the revs up there for short bursts. You DO NOT HOLD HIGH REVS FOR EXTENDED PERIODS This is very important .LIke Wilder/Jim say as well , make sure you don't push that furst oil change. Better to change it sooner or even a couple times in the first 600 miles.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Court Jester
The couple of posts sbove should save you a lot of post reading :)
it's all been sumed up in a nut shell
All I can add is to tell your wife it takes a lot of riding to break in the new 400 :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Break-In Procedure

CJ (Dan,)

I hated the break-in time when my 400 was new! I did the best I could, to stay within the manufacturer's guidelines but it wasn't easy. Once I was comfortable I wanted to go faster! Also, I ride with a group so needed to stay at a steady speed and I found it difficult to "vary" my speed as (wisely) recommended here. I'm over 7600 miles now so it all worked out.
Keep riding and you'll be thru the break-in before you know it. Have fun!

Burgwoman400 USA

·
Registered
969 Posts
Although I've always broken-in my bikes strictly to the letter of the Owner's Manual, I suspect this 'race it straight out of the box' is probably the way to go. The factories are more afraid of litigation (They told me to break it in that way. How would I know that it would: a.) wheelie over backward? b.) get me a speeding ticket? c.) run into that crowd of children?)

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Court Jester said:
What is the best breakin procedure for a new burg.
I am pickin up our new 400 tomarrow and I want to bring it up right
Why not just follow Suzuki's recommendations? I've had 10- 12 new bikes over the last 30 years and always tried to follow the manufacturers instructions. I never had a problem and the bikes ran fine and were just as fast as the rest.
I figure that Suzuki knows how the bike was assembled and their engineers know a hell of a lot more than I do (and most other riders) about proper break-in proceedures. Be patient - the miles will go quickly - and it will give you greater peace-of-mind.
Don

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I build cars for a living, and from time to time have gotten to know the engineers who designed them. If I've learned one thing from this experience, it's that _they know exactly what they are doing and have years to decades of experience doing it_. I trust their opinions far more than anything I might happen to read on the Internet. Stuff written in the owner's manual is there for a **** good reason, I believe, and I pay heed accordingly.

(What do you mean the 200 MPG carburetor I just bought doesn't work? This web page right here _says_ it does, damnit! I must have installed it wrong, is all!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts