Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 04 400 with 1800 miles. I've noticed constant improvement in both acceleration and smoothness. How long before break-in is accomplished? I also checked my mileage. 57mpg. This is probably being a little generous since my speedometer runs exactly 5 mph fast (according to gps) and my odometer is a tenth or so fast over a measured mile. The exact figures were 72.6 miles and 1.26 gallons 91 octane.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Really break in is over after the internal parts have worn in, but I have heard a lot of people say the scooters seem to run better after a few thousand miles .
I think this also has to do with us getting use to the scooter. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
I owned a 400 before I traded for a 650. The power and performance kept improving, at 3,000 miles, I could still feel it getting stronger. I almost didn't trade up.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Tim, mine was in the upper 50's, low 60's for a good while. I didn't keep regular records, but it seems that somewhere in the 3k or so range it started reaching up towards, and often getting, 70mpg. Thats about what the 3 of us that ride togather get on a regular basis. On yesterday's 156 mile fill-up I got 69+mpg. Of course I run Amsoil which probably helps. :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It amazes me when folks considering Vespa's cite fuel mileage as a Vespa advantage. From the reports I've seen posted, the AN400 gets better mileage than the Vespa 200s - with an engine twice the size!

·
Registered
806 Posts
In town, I am not sure, but on the highway I can definately tell you that the smaller scooters do not realize the high mileage you would think they would.

My wife's Aprilia Scarabeo 150 gets around 60-65MPG in town, which is better than the B400. However, it gets about the same mileage out in the country as it has a flat front AND a very high, upright touring shield.

I don't know what the Burgie gets for mileage at 60mph for an extended period of time as all I have been doing is commuting in town and on interstate. But judging from what I have read on this site, I am betting it is better than 62MPG

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
The sweet spot for the 400 seems to be in the 50 - 55 MPH area. Looking back at my average MPG figures, I'd estimate 64 MPG for that speed range.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mpg today

I took a casual ride today that totaled 140 miles. At fillup the gallons was 2.0 exactly. Is that 70 mpg or what? :D The ride was 100 miles country cruising at about 55 to 60 mph. The other 40 was mostly city. I think I'm going to like this "scooter!"

·
Registered
806 Posts
The wife and I went on a 100 Mile run this weekend with mostly 60MPH speed. She ended up putting "a half a tenth" more gas in her tank than I did mine. She has a 150 and I have a 400.

Taking into account that this is not an exact science, we got between 64 and 67 MPG. The next day I took the Burgie out on about 120 miles, but did some Interstate and ran between 62 and 70MPH. That tank figured up around 61MPG.

Of course, since filling up isn't an exact science, I figure I got between 58 and 65 MPG.

I do think I lost 3-5MPG when I added the Laminer Lip to the windshield., but we'll never know 'cause I am not taking it back off. I love it!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts