Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are new tires slippery?
Do you have to scuff them up a little before you can trust them on a leaned over corner?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yeah, you should take it easy for the first 100 miles or so. The tires need tp be scrubbed in as there is a waxy substance on them prior to being mounted. Your dealer will tell you this, at least all the dealers I've ever bought tires from do. You don't need to do anything special. Just don't break suddenly, corner aggressively (especially in the rain) or do any sudden movements that you break the adhesion of the tire and the road. It only takes about 100 miles.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
For the 1st 100 miles or so, take it easy. If your bike is new, you will anyway, so it shouldn't a problem. All you really need to worry about with new tires is, leaning agressivily early. Gradually increase your lean in curves, at slower speeds. Just drive like it's raining,

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Most manufacturers suggest breaking in tires before riding them hard.

Pirelli said:
In order for your new tyres to provide optimum performance, all new tyres should be ridden very cautiously for the first 100-200 kms. Immediately after new tyres are mounted, sudden acceleration, heavy braking, and hard cornering must be avoided until the 100-200 Kms run-in period is completed.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
There is another important reason to take it easy with new tires.
It takes about 100 miles for a tire to "seat" itself on the rim so no hard twisty's after leaving the dealer :)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Randy said:
There is another important reason to take it easy with new tires.
It takes about 100 miles for a tire to "seat" itself on the rim so no hard twisty's after leaving the dealer :)
Not much danger of that :wink:

I am picking up my new burg this April.
No twisties for me for a while :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
New Tires

Yes you do need to let the new tires settle in but you can clean the slipery mold relese from the surface of the tire with a product called Goo Gone. Works great and makes the first few miles less dangerous.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Ray,

Anytime I start grinding the sidestand it's just a reminder that I'm 'having too much fun'. :) I haven't reached the point of grinding the sidestand.... yet.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Ray,

Most of the roads I ride in day to day use are pretty dull straight streches of road. When I get into a set of twisties, I often become more agressive in my riding. I've not ground the centerstand more than a few times and it still startles me when I do. I usually back off a little to keep it happening again. When I go over to ride the 'Tail of the Dragon' I'm either going to have to take it easy :roll: , remove the centerstand for the ride, or budget for a replacement centerstand. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts