Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Burgman 650 with 26,000 miles on it. It has run flawlessly since new. I was all geared up to go on a ride today and the bike all of a sudden is very hard to push forward or backward with the engine on or off. If I cracked the throttle on a bit it moved forward then stopped when I closed the throttle as if the brakes were applied. All motorcycle shops are closed on Sunday and Monday in my area. Very depressed. Any suggestions what could be the matter?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Not to state the obvious, but is the parking brake on?

I also had a situation once when a mechanic forgot to replace a bolt on the rear brake caliper. When it rolled backward, the caliper would flip up and engage the parking brake.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Another thing to check is the air in the rear tire if you have not done that. A flat rear tire will make the bike hard to push.

Past that you will need to determine if it is the front wheel or back wheel that is causing the problem. Put it on the centerstand and see if you can turn the rear wheel by hand.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
That might be a challenge with either a flat rear ( tried it - brutal by the edge of the road ) or a jammed brake.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to state the obvious, but is the parking brake on?

That's the first thing I checked. I put the bike on the center stand and spun the front and rear wheel. Both seemed normal. Rather then try to ride it to my mechanic and possible break something (including me) I'll have him pick it up Tuesday with his trailer. I suspect it might be an ABS problem.Thanks guys for trying to help.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
put the scoot on the center stand, and see if you can spin the rear wheel with your hands...

elevate the front wheel and do the same thing to see if the front wheel spins freely.

on the rear wheel, make sure the rear brake lock is not engaged, there should be a light on the days that should indicate its use. If the wheel doesn't spin freely, you could have some debris between the pads and the rotor or a stuck caliper with sticky cylinders.

You can easily take the caliper(s) off the wheels and clean them.
You can also change the brake fluid to rule out any mechanical issues.

if the wheel(s) still won't spin freely after the caliper cleaning and brake fluid change, it may be necessary to take the caliper(s) apart and inspect the internal parts.

Hopefully it is something very simple.

good luck....

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thing to check is the air in the rear tire if you have not done that. A flat rear tire will make the bike hard to push.

That was the problem. I had a slow leak and could not see it and neglected to check with an air gauge. The tire had 10 PSI and was still hard to the touch. It was also time to replace it,Thanks, Buffalo for the tip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts