Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a scare yesterday. When leaving work yesterday I must have passed through some gravel in the parking lot. I could hear what sounded like a lot of pebbles hitting inside the front wheel cover. I didn't think much of it until I stopped at exit of parking lot. That's when I noticed my right brake lever had no resistance like a brake line had broken. I stopped immediately and did a full examination of the entire brake system. I found no issues but did notice some white rock residue on the front brake disc which I assume meant a rock had been crushed. So with only half braking power I decided to take a slower/safer route home. But when I got back on the Burg 650 and pumped the right lever 3 times the braking power returned. Brakes were fine all the way home. Not 100% sure what happened. Anyone have this problem before? I've been riding bikes since 17 and I'm 62 now...and never had this happen before...

• Wow
Reactions: Bluebottle

·
Super Moderator
6,055 Posts
Could it be that something (rock/gravel) got between your pad and disc and levered them apart?
It would take a few pumps to get the pad back to kissing distance.

It would be a bit of a freak thing but I’ve seen stuff get caught in the ventilation holesbin the disc and held there a few rotations. Once the pad moves out enough the grit rolls out and vanishes.
Might leave a diagnostic scar on the pad?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could it be that something (rock/gravel) got between your pad and disc and levered them apart?
It would take a few pumps to get the pad back to kissing distance.

It would be a bit of a freak thing but I’ve seen stuff get caught in the ventilation holesbin the disc and held there a few rotations. Once the pad moves out enough the grit rolls out and vanishes.
Might leave a diagnostic scar on the pad?
That's what I'm guessing...that crushed rock debris forced the pads back out and away from the disc. Since then I'm being very careful to avoid anything that's not a smooth paved surface 🧐

·
Premium Member
19,107 Posts
happened once to me, i thought the abs malfunctioned, but, never again, rear brake lever just went flat, worked fine after a couple pumps, road was normal, It was months ago, i still think about it when braking

·
Registered
2008 AN400
215 Posts
There might have been gypsum in the aggregate, and that's a bit like chalk, leaving a "white rock residue" as well as being relatively soft and crushable if caught right in the depth indicator of the brake pad - quite a freak incident, and glad it turned out all right in the end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts