Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please give me an idea of how warm a brake rotor should get just from riding, say, ten miles without using the brakes. The front rotors stay cold, while the rear that had the caliper replaced is fairly warm to the touch. I would expect some heat, but I never checked earlier. Is paranoia creeping up on me?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Well if your not using the brakes then I wouldnt expect there to be any temperature in the rotors. The rear pad must be dragging abit. Put the scoot up on the center stand and start the engine. The rear wheel should freewheel at about 10kms per hour. If it doesnt do this than I would say the rear brake pads are rubbing to much and need adjustment.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Maybe its picking up heat from the exhaust :dontknow:

·
Registered
367 Posts
It could be picking uo heat from the transmission as well, remember that there are a whole set of gears that are heating up the wheel assembly and oil to retain the heat as well. None of that is going on in the front.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Also seems that the CVT exhaust port is just in front of the rear rotor area as well. Could be blowing warm air over this area.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
dero said:
If the parking brake is not adjusted correctly at the rear disc end - would that cause the rear disc to drag slightly?
Most definetely. Again put it up on the center stand and see what the readout on the speedo is as the rear wheel free wheels. Should be an indicator if there is anything wrong.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier if someone just went out and duplicated his 10 mile ride without using the rear brakes and see if their rotors are warm? I would do it for him but my bike is now in storage for the winter.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bear in mind that all motorcycle disk brakes tend to drag slightly. There are no return springs to move the pads back from the rotors when you release the brake lever. This is normal. Ocassionally though, if things get gummed up, a pad will maintain some pressure against the disk even when released. This caused one of the brake pads on my Kawasaki Concours to wear out prematurely. If your brakes pads are wearing evenly, all is fine. If one pad is wearing faster than the others, then it is time for dissasembly and cleaning. But in all the miles I've ridden on various bikes, this has not been a frequent problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brake Rotars

It seems that my hot rear rotor may have had several causes. First, the emergenct brake was correctly adjusted, and speed on the centerstand was 7-8 mph. I think heat from the several sources suggested was a factor, because in the 15 degree cooler weather the last two rides, there was no excessive heat. Also, the original problem of the faulty cocked caliper piston may have caused uneven wear on the pad which has now evened out- but there is no evidence of excessive wear. Thanks to you all for your input. BTW, since my original warrenty expires next week, I bought the first extended warrenty in my life, a SEP for the next 36 months through the local dealer for $349. Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks Dero, can't say as I'm the author of my sign off - I just thought it was a great attitude. Since I just turned 50 and had been feeling a bit low my friend thought it would cheer me up (it did!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts