Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I heard a noise when riding slowly last night and using the brakes, which I didn't like. So rather than waiting for my new pads to show up (supposed to be here by Wednesday), I took them off today to have a look.

Attached are my results. I think they ALL need to be replaced, at 10,665 miles. Any thoughts?

I hope I can get the new pads and put them on before Friday, so I can go Fahrt in the woods, or the hills, or wherever it is I am supposed to Fahrt next weekend :)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I don't know how thick new ones are. For my Burgman 400, I took a small mirror to the dealer to see what new pads look like- they aren't too thick to start with.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The front pads have wear left. You can tell by the wear groove indicator. I can't tell by the picture how much wear is left on the rear. That said, brake pads are cheap. I would replace all of them since you already have them off. Especially if you need to Fahrt and the woods or hills are a ways away.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The front pads have wear left. You can tell by the wear groove indicator. I can't tell by the picture how much wear is left on the rear. That said, brake pads are cheap. I would replace all of them since you already have them off.
This was my thought too. At $20/pair, a set of brake pads is dirt cheap anyway. If I have them off, I may as well put new ones back on.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well it is your bike and you have decided to replace the pads - there is absolutely nothing wrong with that approach.

However, to discuss:

1. The pads do not need to be changed just yet.
2. 10000 miles is quite low mileage to be changing pads ( general statement).
3. 20 dollars seems cheap for brake pads - are you content you are buying quality in the single most important safety critical system on your bike?

I hope the pad change resolves your squeak.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
3. 20 dollars seems cheap for brake pads - are you content you are buying quality in the single most important safety critical system on your bike?
I didn't look for cheap (generally not my style anyway) - but I simply couldn't find anything much more expensive either. Do you have any links?

This is what I ordered (recommended by others):

Amazon.com: EBC Brakes SFA252HH Sintered Scooter Brake Pad: Automotive

Amazon.com: EBC Brakes SFA408HH Sintered Scooter Brake Pad: Automotive

Basically $20/pair - so $60 for the whole job (2 pair front, one pair rear). If there are more expensive, higher-quality recommendations, I'd like to know about them.

I hope the pad change resolves your squeak.
Squeak and grinding noise.

I do think the front ones have plenty of life, based on the wear indicator and the wear pattern (hard to see in photos). But man, the rear one sure does look pretty worn, and it really thins out as you get away from the center.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Those are the same pads I just installed on my 400. I have 600 miles on them so far, and I can still hear a lite grinding noise. Not sure if that is normal for a sintered pad or not. Rotor wear seems to be even, so I'm not concerned.

They stop the bike slightly better than before. They seem to be a high quality highly recommended pad.

Mine old pads were about the same as yours, the front's looked almost new, but pads are cheap enough that I preferred to start the season with new pads all the way around.

As for the cost.. 60.00 is not cheap to me. I can pad my suv for 30.00 total, and not need another set for years... but on 2 wheels, i splurged for the 60.00.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for the cost.. 60.00 is not cheap to me. I can pad my suv for 30.00 total, and not need another set for years... but on 2 wheels, i splurged for the 60.00.
I recently paid several hundred dollars to have brakes put on my wife's car....I think when I had them put on my Jeep, it was even more. So getting them on my bike for $60 seems pretty cheap, esp. when riding the scooter saves me $45/week in parking alone.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Generally, the rear pads wear out at 8k-10k miles and fronts are good up to about 30k miles. I used both brakes when stopping. At least that was my experience with my 07 Burgman 400.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had my brakes, front and rear, replaced at the dealership last summer with over 25,000 miles on them. I don't remember the cost as I had other things done. I use front and rear always and at the same time. The wear was pretty equal. I always thought if you are using your brakes properly, they should wear equally.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always thought if you are using your brakes properly, they should wear equally.
Not to sure about that. On my bike, there are 4 brake pads on the front, and two brake pads on the rear. I think it's pretty unlikely that the 2 on the rear will wear the same as the 4 on the front.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Not to sure about that. On my bike, there are 4 brake pads on the front, and two brake pads on the rear. I think it's pretty unlikely that the 2 on the rear will wear the same as the 4 on the front.
The front brakes should do about 90% of the braking. 4 wheelers are the same way with the majority of the braking done by the front wheels. The master cylinder and proportioning valves do it on the car and the rider does it on a bike. If the brakes are used properly, the rears will outlast the front. My cars will normally wear out 2 or 3 sets of fronts before the rears wear out (if they ever do). I seldom have to replace the brakes on my bikes other than the rear brake pads when I buy a used bike that has not been ridden properly. The best rider I know is 79 years old. He has been riding all of his adult life and has never replaced the brakes on his bikes. He almost never uses his brakes. When people follow him, they ask him if his brake light is working.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The front brakes should do about 90% of the braking.
Not if you're mostly using the rear brake :)

My brakes are waiting for me at the post office - should have gotten there earlier on Saturday, they would be installed by now. Anyway, I will compare new pads to the used ones I took off and see for sure how worn they are. I MIGHT put the front pads on, but no way am I putting the rear ones on, they're almost gone.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, it was a challenge for me, but I think I got the job done correctly. I took it for a test drive, it seemed to work OK. So I am ready to go fahrt in the woods this weekend! :)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, you needed rear pads :)
Preliminary results indicate the noise I was getting is gone.

Yeah, I know I could have gotten more life out of the front pads, but they were half gone. I didn't see any point in re-installing them just to "save" $20, esp. when I already had the new pads sitting right here. At least now I know I shouldn't have to mess with it again for a while. This was my first time doing brakes on anything - I don't care to repeat it any time soon :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts