Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle
2009 650. I'm very mechanical, bit I'm lost on this. Swapped rear pads out, went rather smooth. Now, no parking brake. It pulls, cable moves but doesn't hold. I pushed one piston and screwed the other one until it was sideways like it's supposed to be. Please help me figure this out. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Doesn’t hold as in the brake lever doesn’t ratchet or as in the brake doesn’t lock the wheel?

The register mark on the lever (little pip near the pivot bolt) should be lined up between the register marks on the carrier underneath it.

Adjust with the hand-brake lever on first ratchet notch (if that bit is OK) that centre bolt can then be loosened and the mechanism adjusted until it makes light contact. Retighten lock nut.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn’t hold as in the brake lever doesn’t ratchet or as in the brake doesn’t lock the wheel?

The register mark on the lever (little pip near the pivot bolt) should be lined up between the register marks on the carrier underneath it.

Adjust with the hand-brake lever on first ratchet notch (if that bit is OK) that centre bolt can then be loosened and the mechanism adjusted until it makes light contact. Retighten lock nut.
That center bolt, it's either too loose or I barely turn it at all and tighten bracket on it, then handle won't move at all

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
It’s a really fast thread pitch on the piston end so it doesn’t take much of a turn - it could just be that that is throwing you off?

Try putting the lever on second or third notch as an experiment, and stop adjusting as soon as you get any resistance.

If that works out do it on the first notch.
Not done it for a while but remember it was fiddly

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
“The register mark on the lever (little pip near the pivot bolt) should be lined up between the register marks on the carrier underneath it.”
This is what Bluebottle is referring to.

The alignment of the "Dots". In my 2003 service manual, page 9-75 it shows the alignment of 2 dots when you put the emergency brake cable assembly on. I missed it when I put a near rear tire on and couldn't get the emergency brakes adjusted.
Font Paper Paper product Parallel Document
Wood Font Art Bag Pattern

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
the brake piston for the parking brake has a tab and a cross, the tab MUST be in the cross when re assembled, if it isn't the parking brake will not self adjust to the correct position when you use the brakes. from reading this I gather you did not work on the handle, you did not adjust the cable, you just changed the pads and repositioned the pistons, welp, ya fixed it , now it's broke, so re do yer fixin cause that's moslikely where the problem is

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One on
“The register mark on the lever (little pip near the pivot bolt) should be lined up between the register marks on the carrier underneath it.”
This is what Bluebottle is referring to.

The alignment of the "Dots". In my 2003 service manual, page 9-75 it shows the alignment of 2 dots when you put the emergency brake cable assembly on. I missed it when I put a near rear tire on and couldn't get the emergency brakes adjusted.
View attachment 95879 View attachment 95880
the brake piston for the parking brake has a tab and a cross, the tab MUST be in the cross when re assembled, if it isn't the parking brake will not self adjust to the correct position when you use the brakes. from reading this I gather you did not work on the handle, you did not adjust the cable, you just changed the pads and repositioned the pistons, welp, ya fixed it , now it's broke, so re do yer fixin cause that's moslikely where the problem is

Well thanks for the sarcasm, didn't help at all but hey....thanks.

What tab are you referring to?

·
Registered
29 Posts
One on

It may have sounded sarcastic... but it's sound advise and you'd be well served to take it to heart. Lot's of us have had problems after completing routine maintenance, only to find something not working like it did before we started. You can either chase proverbial gremlins causing the problem.. or retrace what you just did to see what you may have overlooked. It just saves time and frustration. And no matter how many times we've done the same chore... we all make mistakes on occasion.

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
One on

on the back of the brake pad, there is a little sticky out thing, on the face of the e brake piston there is a cross/plus shaped groove, if the sticky out part does not go into the groove it won't self tighten and will back off every time the regular brake piston backs off,
Pardon my sense of sarcasm/ humor but that's the way my daddy taught me, an he was right about a lotta thangs. He once said, well , ya married her , now yer broke.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pads that were on the rear had a small "pin" or stub on the back. New ones don't. Hmm...also, when I screw the cross piston, I screw it all the way until it stops, correct? With slot going sideways of course.

on the back of the brake pad, there is a little sticky out thing, on the face of the e brake piston there is a cross/plus shaped groove, if the sticky out part does not go into the groove it won't self tighten and will back off every time the regular brake piston backs off,
Pardon my sense of sarcasm/ humor but that's the way my daddy taught me, an he was right about a lotta thangs. He once said, well , ya married her , now yer broke.......

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,296 Posts
Maybe bought aftermarket pads that are defective? You HAVE to have that pin on the back of the pad that is against the piston with the cross groves. The parking brake just won't work without it.
Are you certain you didn't put the outer brake pad on the inner side?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm positive there's no pin. I noticed thei mssing pin from the ones I took off. New ones didn't have it.
Maybe bought aftermarket pads that are defective? You HAVE to have that pin on the back of the pad that is against the piston with the cross groves. The parking brake just won't work without it.
Are you certain you didn't put the outer brake pad on the inner side?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Well, if you want a parking brake then the pads will have to be replaced again with the right pads that have the pin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just called dealer, they have a set on hold for me. That's what I get for using Amazon. Thanks. That + piston that I screw in, I know it has to be screwed all the way in and horizontal. Once it's all the way in, do I back it out a turn or something? I turned it all the way in and it was tight, but horizontal. Wondering if it's too far in??? Thanks

Well, if you want a parking brake then the pads will have to be replaced again with the right pads that have the pin.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Amazon is not bad. I bought my brake pads there but made sure the rear pads had that pin. The rear pads I bought were just right. The front pads were just a bit thick so I had to leave out the insulator. I saved that for the next pad swap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alla way in but you may hafta back it out a tiny bit to line up pin, I also had no trouble with amazon gettin the right part

Did it all again with EBC pads, idk. Same **** issue. Pisses me off too, I can rebuild motors, transmissions. You name it I've done it, but this has me stumped. Guess I'll have to pay a shop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
before you pay a shop stop several times with normal brakes, this will rotate the e brake piston out to the proper position. if it don't you ain't wasted nothin but time

Holy hell it worked!!! A Rio around the block, using rear brakes every 50' or so, came back and adjusted that bolt on the wheel. Works perfect now!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!👍👍👍👍👍

1 - 20 of 21 Posts