Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if the answer is posted somewhere on the boards (I did a search but didn't come up with anything), but I have a quick question regarding brake pad replacements.

I'm not the handiest of guys, but the service manual shows the relatively simple process of front brake pad replacement so I thought I'd give it a go (this is for a 400). I removed the front -unlinked- pads without a problem, however, when I attempt to slide the new pads in, the space is too tight. Is there an easy way to move the pistons back to make space for the new pads?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes there is...a big screw driver! All you have to do is wedge something between the brake pistons and force them back into their cylinders. It can take a fair amount of force but take your time and watch as the brake plunger re-seats back into the cylinders.

Do this when the brake assembly is off the brake disk. Enough to allow you to then install the brakes with the new brake pads and fit them over the disk. Watch out for the speedometer pickup. I heard it is easy to mess up.

I would leave the old pads in and then open up the gap with them still there. This way you don't have to worry about marking your new pads up. Its easy to do and if you have patience and take your time, it will be a cinch. Remember to "pump" the front brake before you ride. This will force the new pads into the disk and not surprise you on your first application of the brakes. Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Timothy,

Thanks for the great tip. I was afraid to apply too much pressure, but your explanation worked perfectly for me! It took a lot more elbow grease than I was expecting (probably because my pads were worn so low that the plunger was extended pretty far).

Anyway, got the pads in, pumped the breaks like crazy and I'm back in business...

Thanks again,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts