Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I instaled a third brake only light on my 650. The light is wired to one side of the bikes brake light. Yesterday I blew a fuse that shut the bike down. I am woundering if I created an unbalanced condition. Is there a way to wire the light to the brakes only? Please answer.

·
Registered
793 Posts
davebobby,

Why not leave the Burgmans' lighting system stock?
Our Burgy's are more visible than some cars because of the
rear/side viewable tail lights.

Too bright of a tail light and others could mistake it for brake lights.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
ajwood said:
...Too bright of a tail light and others could mistake it for brake lights.
On the other hand, having a light that is dark except during braking, a "brake only light," can prevent just such confusion.

The blown fuse was likely the result of running too much current through a fuse designed to handle only two brake lights.

You need to compute the combined draw of all three lights, and size the fuse accordingly; making sure that you don't overload the wiring itself in the process.

Another, though more complicated, method would be to have the brake switch trigger a relay, and have the new light wired directly (through a new in-line fuse) to the battery through the relay.

Where, exactly, did you mount the third light?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brian,
I maounte a plate to the license and attached the light to the plate. then routed the wires up behind to the original brake light. It looks good and there ia no holes in the scooter

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
One idea I'm toying with is to buy the Givi top box with lights, and make them my tail lights, and have the current tail/brake lights become brake lights only. I'd have to see what it actually looks like once I've got the box in place, but I think it would look good and be a real "Hey, stupid! I'm stopping in front of you" type signal.

Or maybe do it the other way, and have the box lights be high brake lights. I dunno...I'm just planning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts