Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ~7300 miles on my 2012 and was wondering: when do I need to start thinking about brake pads? I'm not an especially aggressive rider (except for 2 track days), and never ride 2-up. If it's any indication of riding style, I have not quite half the tread left on the rear tire.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
My '08 with 16300 miles, is in the shop as we speak, and I need new rear brake pads. I'm a moderately aggressive driver and ride 2-up with my petite wife at least 50 percent of the time. Don't know how big your are, but I'd guess you've got a lot of mileage remaining on the brakes.

Whatever your riding style is, you are getting more mileage out of your rear tire than most of us.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
On the Burgman 400's that I service and that are used in London, they need rear brake pads on average at the 10k miles mark. Front's go longer maybe to 14k depending on the riders style and aggressiveness in the huge amounts of city traffic. Mine go longer, much longer due to my forward thinking and non agressive riding style. The message is, there is no specific mileage that anyone can say to you where you may need to replace your brake pads. It all depends on you and how you use your bike. Therefore, always check your brake pads for wear on a regular basis as the mileage goes on the clock.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just FYI on brakes. As OM stated above it's how you ride and brake. My wife is a apply the brakes hard and as close to when you need to stop as possible. She uses the brakes going into and thru turns. I on the other hand leave off the gas and apply only brakes when necessary. Her lightweight car has had FOUR complete brake jobs. My 5400lb 4X4 pickup is over 100,000 miles and still has 3/4 of the brake pads remaining. Both are automatic trannys. My scooter the same. I don't grab a handful of brake lever all the time. I slow for stops before I need to apply the brakes. Some guys I ride with fly up to a light or stopped traffic and brake hard. I hate doing brake jobs or spending money unnecessarily. If you brake hard, a lot, or "ride" the brake lever thru turns or coming up to a light you will need brakes 5-8,000miles average. My scooter will probably need brakes between 12-20,000 miles.....maybe....................Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm an average rider. I get average mileage on my tires. I get average mpg. If this extends to my brakes then you can expect about 20Kmiles on the rear and about 30K on the front. I'm at 61K and getting ready for my third replacement on the back and 2nd on the front. I also tend to use both brakes all the time when stopping.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use both brakes all the time but I use them very hard. I am aggressive at stopping. I am at 8000 miles and will soon need to change both. I am figuring on changing the rear tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts