Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I called myself doing a search for my specific question but did'nt find it. Therefore, I will just explain and ask?

Has anyone else with a K5 noticed the Brake Fluid levels? I now have about 940 miles on IceBlue and I've been noting that the level in the glass has steadily been going down on my Rear Brake reservoir. Until today, I had not noticed the air bubble in the Front Brake reservoir. The rear brake side is definitely much lower now, and I will need to refill it.

I'm would not be worried about the level of Brake Fluid, but I've only had the bike since mid-April, and it is concerning me that both reservoirs are showing a fluid loss. Brake fluid is not terribly expensive (Is it?), but if I need to refill every 7 weeks it will be a bit of hassle.

Is this indicative of a problem that requires a trip to the shop, or is this normal for the Burgman to do this, or am I being to anal about it and should not have wasted the bits to write this? :lol:

Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Inspect for any leakage as best you can.

I have a slight bit of "downage" - and a bubble here or there thru the master cylinder sightglasses.

If it seems to take a lotta "squeeze" to stop, (at a regular "clip",) it, imo, should be double checked by a pro.

But I have a 3k+ mile 04 with about 10 haul ass stops.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm... After reading the posts for the "Burgman 400 Stops on a dime", I have to admit that IceBlue has not really performed greatly on the stopping... As a matter of fact, I would have complained about it at the 600 mile service if it wasn't for the engine braking. It stops, but I haven't needed to slam on the brakes but once or twice and it didn't "stop on a dime" either time (and the brakes have never locked either).

Naturally, I work tomorrow (unlike most folks) but since it's a holiday the shop is probably closed, anyway (U.S. Memorial Day for our Non-US Friends - although it's a bank holiday in the UK, too). So, I'll call them first thing Tuesday and see when they would like to see it.

And, see it they shall... Sounds like a Warranty Issue to me. :lol:

Joe

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The 650 is a really heavy bike for it's class, and I don't think even in the best of times it could be said to stop on a dime (MCN's pro testers were only able to get 60 - 0 MPH in 120.8 feet), but I do consider my stopping distance to be reasonable, and in almost a year of ownership and almost 10,100 miles I have never had to add fluids.

I agree that a trip to your shop is in order.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Bought my 2005 Burgman in April as well. My brake fluid has not changed in almost 1000 miles. Brake fluid should not change much at all. If M/Cs brake systems are anything like autos, then fluid is not needed for thousands of miles. The only time I look at my fluid is after fluid change of brake pad changes.

I think your bike needs to go to shop ASAP.

·
Registered
605 Posts
OK lets not panic just yet. Maybe some explaination is in order. If your 650 had lots of miles, then a lower level of brake fluid would be proportional to the amount of brake pad wear. The more wear, the lower the level of the brake fluid. Its because the fluid would be displacing the plunger volume at the caliber end and hence less fluid in the reservoir. Hence a lower level equates to an observable bubble in the reservior.

Since you seem to think the brake fluid is lower by judgment of an air bubble in the reservoir, then I have to ask some very obvious questions.

Have you noticed any performance difference in your brakes? Have you looked closely at the brake pad thickness at the front and at the rear? Are they within specification? There are wear markers for the brake pads that is described in the owner's manual. The final question...did you check for brake fluid in the obvious places such as around the calibers and the reserviors??

I noticed this on my 400 but attributed it to brake pad wear. Which BTW is quite normal and nothing for me to panic about. For your comfort, if there are no obvious leaks or abnormal brake pad wear or poor performance then it should be OK. Go riding!!!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Timothy,

He stated that the scooter had 940 miles on it. There is no way the brake pads are worn much, particularly with all the engine braking that the 650 has. I have almost 15,000 miles on my original pads and they are still in fine shape.

I suspect that the brakes were improperly bled or that there is a leak in the system.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You also should not be getting any air bubbles in a closed system. Anyone that is noticing bubbles in their system should be getting it checked out ASAP. If you performed any brake work that caused you to open up the lines on the caliper, a system bleed is in order. If you just opened up the resevoir, you should not need to bleed the system, unless your seal is pinched and air is when you activate the brake lever. I would not wait to get this looked at as an eventual brake loss could occur.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I find the front brakes on my 650 to be excellent. I'd had to do several serious "panic stops" and I was pretty amazed with how well they performed. They appeared to be the same size as the front disks on the 1000cc V-Strom. The tradeoff in feel between a 15" front wheel and a 19" front wheel is that the 15 incher is spinning faster at any given speed - so the brakes have more work to do. Plus the Burgman weighs 70 lbs more than the V-Strom did. The offsetting advantage when max braking with the Burgman 650 is the wider front tire. The Burgman is also very well balanced & has a low center of gravity. Even though I think I broke traction with the rear, the scooter stayed perfectly straight. With the high CG of the V-Strom, breaking traction with either tire could get dicey quick.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I agree Paul.

I had to do a panic stop after a fully-loaded logging truck decided to pull out in front of me. Dang near scared the pants off of me. I laid on my little tweeter of a horm and waved a free hand as best I could after coming under control.

But, I still sorta miss that ol' foot stompin brake on the old Helix. I could push down with my legs and enforce that brake at the same time. Hmm, do you think they could put an accelerator on the floorboard along with the twisty grip???? hehehee,, I know, I am a lazy bum. But would solve the sore wrist problem. hmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
605 Posts
OK I just road home from work and also notice some small bubbles in both the front and rear brake reserviors. Nothing I think to worry about and I just have over 1,000 kms. I can't remember if they were there before but I will certainly continue to look at their size as time passes. Brake performance is fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
dero said:
While we are on the subject of brakes, what are peoples opinion of the front stoppers?
I'm not overwhelmed by them. However, they're more than sufficient to lock up the front, so outside of response, I'm not sure what one would need.

Locking up the front as easily I did was more concerting; fortunately, it was only a couple of times while I was doing parking lot braking practice. Could've been the surface, which appears to be very old chip-seal, or it could be the stock Bridgestones.

As for the power, I'm coming off a BMW K12RS with the power-assisted braking. Everything feels wimpy, even if the top braking systems can still brake about as well. (The power-assist is really about time to first grab, not absolute braking power.)

Where is the power lacking? Well, in most riding, I leave two fingers on the brake lever. I don't think I can lock the brakes with two fingers, because the lever will smash into my remaining fingers before it gets far enough. With my BMW brakes, I could trigger the front ABS with one finger. I'm still adjusting. I have to remember to get those other fingers up in the event of an emergency.

Overall, though, I still figure, if I can lock 'em up, they're powerful enough.

Greg

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
mwolf451 said:
You also should not be getting any air bubbles in a closed system. Anyone that is noticing bubbles in their system should be getting it checked out ASAP. ...
I don't think it was a reference to bubbles in the brake lines, but a reference to seeing a bubble in the sight glass for the reservoir; that's a normal indication of low fluid volume.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts