Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a report on the Brake Away cruise control 6CP02 for a 2011 Burgman 650. I just did a web search for it and I am pretty sure I just ordered it from Brake Away for about $200. I can't remember because I bought it a month ago and just now got around to installing it.

It isn't hard to install per se but you spend a fair amount of time trying to figure out what they are talking about. While the instructions are detailed, bigger pictures would have helped out tremendously. I have no mechanical skill and it took me about an hour from start to finish. It really helps to have one of those little screw drivers from those eye glass fixing kits and 5/16" open end wrench, 1/2" open end wrench, and a metric wrench to fit the brake pivot nut on the bike. I didn't have any wrenches available and used a pair of small vise grips. Not recommended but it got the job done.

Once you kind of get along in the instructions you see what they are trying to accomplish and it makes some sense. Dry testing shows it works well. Off to see how it works on the road. If I don't come back call 911.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Is that actually a cruise control, or a throttle lock? There are a lot of throttle locks that are far cheaper.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They call it cruise control but it is a throttle friction lock. This one seemed to get good reviews here and since I new the model number it was the one I went with. I did not do an exhaustive study on the subject.

It works pretty well in my test run today. currently raining so I am back home.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Brake away throttle lock

They call it cruise control but it is a throttle friction lock. This one seemed to get good reviews here and since I new the model number it was the one I went with. I did not do an exhaustive study on the subject.

It works pretty well in my test run today. currently raining so I am back home.
I have had mine for about a year and find it works very well. Installing it is easy. Adjusting it is hard. You will probably have to readjust it twice a year. In the summer it seems to get harder to twist the throttle while it is locked. In the winter it will some time slip out of the lock. However it is a great throttle lock.
I live in south Florida and we have extreme range of temp changes.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I had the adjustment problem until I adjusted mine when the temp was about 70 degrees F. Now it functions in temps down to the 25 F range and up into the 105 F range.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Is that actually a cruise control, or a throttle lock? There are a lot of throttle locks that are far cheaper.
it's actually a throttle lock, however its a high end piece of engineering, worth every penny if you're willing to pay for it, ah and its made in USA.

True thing there are throttle locks for less than 5 bucks out there, anyways I love my BreakAway.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
it's actually a throttle lock, however its a high end piece of engineering, worth every penny if you're willing to pay for it, ah and its made in USA.

True thing there are throttle locks for less than 5 bucks out there, anyways I love my BreakAway.
+ 1 here , I don't use it all that much but it sure comes in handy on a long trip , or when my hand starts to cramp up .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I also have one, but I always have issues with it. There are not that many roads that are flat for miles. There are always hills. The bike decelerate climbing a hill, then it accelerates going down. I found this annoying. I stopped using it after installing CrampBuster.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The one on my 650 was on it when I got it. It works great on the straight level roads where the prior owned rode. However, I don't have straight or level roads where I ride. I don't use cruise much on anything around here. However, the Breakaway is probably the most precision crafted piece I have seen added to a bike. It is the definition of a quality product.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The one on my 650 was on it when I got it. It works great on the straight level roads where the prior owned rode. However, I don't have straight or level roads where I ride. I don't use cruise much on anything around here. However, the Breakaway is probably the most precision crafted piece I have seen added to a bike. It is the definition of a quality product.
It's some what good for flat lands and just to give your right hand a few minutes relief from cramping , but that's about it . If you are going to be taking a lot of freeway type trips , and like cruise control I think you should go with an electronic set up . I'm surprised that Suzuki who advertises these 650's as touring bikes , doesn't offer a good electronic cruise control at least as an option . That said , I think if all manufacturers offered a nice long list of well thought out options , they could get their prices up considerably per bike .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Factory addons for cars are outrageously priced. I just bought a 2014 Honda CRV. The dealer wants almost $500 for window visors (cost is for mounted) while I can buy a really nice set for $100 and spend about a half hour to an hour mounting them myself. So if motorcycle makers did the same, I would expect the prices would be prohibitive. Have any of you here in the USA priced the factory heated seats versus the aftermarket ones. The factory ones cost about 5 times the cost of aftermarket. Thanks, but no thanks. I will leave the extra cost in my pocket and go with aftermarket for most things.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
185 Posts
I live in south Florida and we have extreme range of temp changes.
:laughing3:

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I was researching something and found this.

When you have a temperature swing of 100+ degrees during the year, let me know. At that time, the earth has changed climates and I will expect the seniors will be leaving Florida and coming back to Minnesota.

Sure, we may only change 20-25 degrees during a day, but when we normally go from -20s to over 100 degrees during the year (although this year was much more tame on both ends) I don't think many other locations can say they have 'extreme range of temperature changes' compared to here.
We had frost yesterday, riding season coming to a close for me very soon.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Throttle lock

I had the adjustment problem until I adjusted mine when the temp was about 70 degrees F. Now it functions in temps down to the 25 F range and up into the 105 F range.
When it gets cold here in Florida it slips out of setting. When hot it has LOTS of friction. I'm satisfied with it most of the time. It is well made.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I installed this item on my '07 k400 a year and a half ago. When I purchased my k8 650 I switched it over only because Breakaway no longer make and sells the unit for Burgman Scooters. The tension adjustment is very easy and quick: on the bottom of the unit is a plate with 2 #1 philips screws and a hole. Lightly loosen then screws and insert an allen wrench in the hole and apply light pressure forward pressure and re-tighten the screws. Engage the lock, twist the throttle to test the resistance. If to tight or loose, repeat the adjustment. It only takes about 5 minutes for the whole process. When they were available they were pricey, but also the best on the market, with two means of release. Happy riding!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Well I'm sold lol. Just need that few moments of hand relief.

Do you have to have a certain grip to better fit this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts