Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I purchased a new (unsold) 2009 Kymco People S 250 with zero miles on it. It came with the full Kymco 2 year warranty.

It is the beautiful, bright red color that I find very appealing. I plan on adding a Givi mount to the existing rack so that I can use my Givi top case that I currently use on my Burg 400.

The S 250 is very different than my Burg as I learned during the 57 miles home today. I am dreading the break in period and the first service at 600 miles or whatever it is on this bike. To me, that is the worse part of buying a new motorcycle or scooter.

I hope that I will be able to do my own oil and gear oil changes on this bike because they occur much more frequently than on my Burg. But I will need help from friends and fellow members on the Kymco forum.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Congrats and Good luck with your new ride. :thumbup:

I had the Yager GT 200i and loved everything about it except for the seat which gave me numb butt syndrome in short order.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far I've only had time to log about 250 miles on my S 250.

But I've learned that the seat causes numb butt after only 40 miles or so. I'm working on a solution for that problem And in the process of making the seat more comfortable, I also want to lower it so that I don't have to stand on my tip toes while sitting on the bike.

The wind screen is quite short but I've decided to live with it for a while. I do not like the Givi screen for the S 250. And the one sold by a scooter store in Oregon requires removing two plastic "grabbers" from the scooter's plastic. I'm concerned that without the "grabbers" or hooks, the aftermarket taller screen will not be stable or secure enough.

Also, I was able to install the flat Givi mount on the scooter's rear rack. I can now use my Givi Flow top case on both my Burg 400 and my S 250. I'm sure glad that I hung on to the mount all of these years when I bought the Givi mount kit which had this extra flat mount plate. The top case fits nice and low because of the flat mount plate.

I am disappointed that the S 250 requires a substantial 200 mile Service and then a minor 600 mile service. I've owned about 20 motorcycles and scooters over the years and this is the first time that I've needed to take a bike in for service at only 200 miles. I plan to take it to the dealer within the next couple of weeks for that service.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheapO, sorry my friend but I do not know how to download pics from my camera to my computer. I have no computer skills and need my wife to come and rescue me when something makes my computer act up. Hopefully, she will have time in the near future to post photos for me. Patience, please.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
TeeMon, need a ride report, it's been a month now.
I am looking at the same S250 - 2009 model.
thanks
Sean

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
InfernoST said:

I had the Yager GT 200i and loved everything about it except for the seat which gave me numb butt syndrome in short order.
InfernoST
tell us about the Yager GT 200i.

thanks
Sean

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sean,

It's probably too soon still to do a decent review of my S 250. I only have 284 miles on it and I've tried to keep the speed down with so few miles on the scooter and haven't done the first service yet. I plan on taking it to the dealer (41 miles away) in the next week or so for the service.

It is nice and light and easy to manuever, especially in town and city streets. It's fun to ride to & from town and in town. On the road, It is stable and handles quite well. It has immediate zip and the CVT works great - no slack or noise like my Burg 400.

Unfortunately, the seat and suspension are quite firm. And it doesn't help that my favorite local roads have been ruined by large trucks & heavy equipment used in contructing hundreds of the large wind turbines in the area. They've ruined our roads and the view of the hills is gone and the roads are incredibly rough to ride or drive on.

I put my gel pad on it before this morning's ride and it really helped so that my butt wasn't sore when I got back after a 40 mile ride. The down side to using the pad is that I can barely reach the ground now on my tip toes from the tall seat (I'm a short guy). I have to be extra careful when paddling it around.

Haven't had a chance to call upholstery shops in larger cities yet about removing seat foam and installing a gel insert but still keeping it about an inch lower than stock seat height. And I will probably also buy a "Universal" type Laminar Lip to add some wind screen height to the stock screen which is way too low. It's okay in town but not on the road.

Oh, and finally. The weather turned "cool" in our area and I have to remember to let the engine warm up a little before taking off. It stumbled a bit for a couple of blocks when I first started out this morning. After it warmed up a bit, it ran beautifully.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
TeeMon-thank you.

How is it doing on gas milage?

How about any twisty roads outside the city?

thanks
Sean

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
GeeGusKahn said:
InfernoST said:

InfernoST
tell us about the Yager GT 200i.

thanks
Sean
I loved the Yager but found myself running it near its limits, that is the only reason I upgraded.

1. Great gas mileage.
2. An engine that can even though it was actually a 175cc, topped out at 76mph with my 210lb butt on it.
3. Front and rear disk brakes (Not a common feature at this price) that did the job well.
4. Dead accurate speedometer.
5. Nice size under seat storage.
6. The ability to pop the seat while bike is running.
7. Well built, reliable and a good bang for the buck.
8. Handles very well.

DISLIKES

1. Horrible seat (numb butt syndrome).
2. No up front storage.
3. Wind screen rather small.
4. Getting parts was rather difficult

Overall I found it to be well worth the price of admission but one must realize it has its limits when it comes to highway riding, 55MPH speed limit it's fine the real problem comes when the limit is 65mph.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not yet figured tha gas mileage (MPG) because it's so new and nowhere near being broken in.

And I am disappointed that the tank is on the small side. But it is very easy to gas up with the gas tank filler is on the floorboard.

It is very stable and agile and fun to ride on twisty roads and the brakes are very good and have a good feel & work well. There are small hills just outside of town and it's fun to zip up the road and lean it thru the turns.

I don't notice the taller seat height once I'm moving or even when making tight turns. And it's very peppy when I "power out" of turns (fun too!).

The underseat storage is not real great but I am very pleased that I was able to use the extra mount plate that came extra with my Givi Flow topcase mounting system for my Burg. I can now use the Givi case on both scooters and did not have to buy anything extra. And the plate fits nice and low on the rear rack so the top case can sit low and gives me plenty of storage.

I have also added a small bag from REI that hangs on the hook in front of my knees - sadly, no glove box on the scoooter.

I have not figured out yet how to mount a GPS mount on it but I'm in no hurry for that. At this time I do not need a GPS for it.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Hay TeeMon
different forum, but yes, get a torque wrench for tightening the drain plugs and bolts going into aluminum case.
Very easy to use and not necessarily expensive.
Check out Harbor Freight, they have them on sale fairly often.
3/8 drive should do fine for most things.
Get the click kind versus the beam type, much easier to use.
Some people will tell you they don't need one which is fine,
but it is so much easier to use torque wrench than to have drill out a sheared bolt or drain plug, or stripped threads in aluminum case.
Going to look at a S250 on Wednesday - good price with almost no miles.
Sean

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
InfernoST & TeeMon
Oh, this is going to be a hard call, one of each within 75 miles.
Both in same price range, and either would suit my needs.
So, I have to see if I can get demo ride on each.
Probably this Wednesday and Thursday if nothing else comes up.
decisions-decisions :D
Sean

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sean,

Thanks for the info on the torque wrench. I will keep that in mind but I am reluctant to do my own work (terrible & expensive past experiences).

I have an appointment with the dealer for the "200 mile service" although I now have slightly over 300 miles on my S 250. I will probably re-schedule the appointment because I took the seat up to the upholstery shop in Sacramento a couple of days ago and they told me that it will probably take a week to modify. Can't ride it to the dealer for the service without a seat!

The dealer that I bought my S 250 from also had a new 2009 Grand Vista - zero miles. I was very tempted to buy that bike due to its lower seat height and it had much more underseat storage. But the reviews all said that the S 250 is much faster and that was very important to me.

Good luck on deciding which one to buy this coming week. Are they the same color?

Mine is the beautiful red - it has sort of subtle metalflake effect thru the red paint when you look at it in the sun. And it's a nice contrast to my Burg 400 which is black.

Tony

1 - 14 of 14 Posts