Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Suzuki Burgman 650
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have enjoyed scooters for several years. When I was younger I had a 1978 Suzuki GS750E. I quit riding when we started a family. When the youngest kids hit high school I decided it was time to enjoy two wheels again. I bought a pair of Honda Elite 125 's for my wife and me. We enjoyed them but it didn't take long before we realized 125 was not the size for us. I sold the pair and bought a Honda Reflex locally. I liked it at first but at 6' tall it soon proved uncomfortable on long rides. My wife loves it, so it is hers. I found a Honda Helix in pieces in a guy's yard for $100. A few days later I was riding it. About $150 later everything was fixed and I had it painted. I rode that for a few years. I then bought a very nice garage kept low mileage helix and sold old faithful. I really like the Helix overall, but just wished there was a little more power. I ended up getting a great deal on an Intruder 1400 so I sold the Helix and was riding a big v-twin. I loved the sound and feel of that Intruder, and really enjoyed riding it in town, but at highway speed I was pretty miserable. The Helix had me used to nice quiet 65 mph riding. I put a windshield on the Intruder. It helped, but too much air was still coming under the windshield and up my torso into my face. I was planning to buy a batwing fairing. Then I injured my back and had 2 major surgeries. I decided that a scooter would be better overall for me than the Intruder.
I had to search two whole days to find a 05 Burgman 650 fully functional with 16k miles for what I considered a very fair price. It has a Corbin seat with driver backrest and a removeable luggage container. There are scratches several places. The front right plastic is broken under the footrest area, but it is all there to repair. The windshield is broken. The side stand is broken off. It is missing half of the handlebar cover. The battery was junk. Luckily I had a new battery on hand. I ordered "Amazon's Choice" battery for the Reflex and was shipped a battery with the terminal polarity backwards. The cables would not reach, Amazon sent a replacement that worked fine and said I could keep the mistake battery. The battery is probably not the exact battery called for, but it fits, terminal polarity is correct, and it starts and runs fine with this battery. I hit eBay and ordered a used full side stand with switch and wiring ($26), used missing half of handlebar cover ($30), and found a used factory windshield for $40 on marketplace. I think I might have to pass on the factory windshield and pay the price for a taller windshield.

A few questions:
What size windshield would you suggest for a 6' rider instead of the 25" factory unit?
I have taken a car for salvage inspection here in Ohio, but never a bike. I would think this would pass inspection today. Please tell me if I am wrong.
All lights and signals work, horn works, brakes are great. If I remove the broken windshield there will be nothing there (legal on motorcycle right?) Center stand is fine, side stand is not a requirement is it?
I don't have to repair scratches or even cracked plastic as long as it isn't loose and in danger of coming off....or do I.

I think this might be the bike I ride for a long time.

MrArcade

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
Welcome, I ride a 2006 and luv it...you will love this site and this site:

I think it will pass inspection...You will want a taller wind screen if your 6ft.

·
Premium Member
17,437 Posts
google x-creen and see if it may solve your problem at a much cheaper price, the angle you set it deflects wind higher or lower, Welcome and enjoy the bike and the forum!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Mr Arcade and welcome. The std screen is approx 63cm, the Givi D263ST is 78cm so would probably suit you better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts