Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Burg 400. It's been running great, no problems. This morning on the way to work both headlamps quit working. Taillight ok, turn signals ok, just the head lamps. The high beam flash inop, high beam select inop. Checked the fuses - none are burnt out. Could anyone offer some trouble shooting advice. Looking at going to a dealer, but that really hurts the pocket book. I have not done any electrical work on the bike which could have caused this condition (in terms of a short). Awaiting your wisdom.

Yokota

Tacoma WA

·
Premium Member
14,231 Posts
First thing I would do is pull the socket from one of the bulbs and see if you are getting power to it by hooking a test light or a volt meter to it. If so you may just have both bulbs burn out. If not then you have a problem somewhere upstream in the wiring and you will have to start the real trouble shooting.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read a post on this forum and I found one that came close to the condition I was having. Low and behold - starter switch is sticking. I sprayed some WD- 40 into it but I don't know if this will long term solve the issue. I can order the RH switch assy for 95 bucks however I don't know what I would be doing in changing it, the throttle cable and such. I'm kinda stuck at the moment between attempting or to the dealer and paying.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Yokota said:
I read a post on this forum and I found one that came close to the condition I was having. Low and behold - starter switch is sticking. I sprayed some WD- 40 into it but I don't know if this will long term solve the issue. I can order the RH switch assy for 95 bucks however I don't know what I would be doing in changing it, the throttle cable and such. I'm kinda stuck at the moment between attempting or to the dealer and paying.
Yokota..I was going to suggest just what you did.....! As I had read some topics on this before.. I hope that worked for you.???? It seems that when starting the scoot.....pressing the starter button also cuts out the headlights!!! AND maybe it is just stuck.?? What did we do before WD-40..???????????? :?: :?:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Save yourself the trouble of messing with the bulbs and fuses and go straight to the source. It's the starter switch.

It's a stupid design, poorly executed and it sticks far too often, as you will discover if you search here. Take it apart carefully so as not to have tiny parts fly away. Clean it of all the dielectric grease that cruds it up and work it to ensure everything works smoothly, then reassemble it. You may want to use a much reduced amount of good-quality lithium grease.

HTH
Scott Fraser

·
Premium Member
8,151 Posts
sqirt some cleaner like wd 40 in there every once in a while and when it quits again squirt it again and cuss at it , it's a common flaw in the 400 Suzuki thinks we wash these things :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I replaced my starter switch to solve the problem

I just worked through this same issue. For sure it's the dreaded sticking starter switch that is troubling your headlights.

Here's the thread I started on the topic: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=57630
Mitch Bergsma has a video tutorial showing how to dismantle the switch and get the throttle cable disengaged. It's not hard to do once you see his video. My switch was not dirty when I took it apart. It was not a problem with the contacts. It was a problem bad design of the plastic housing and the plastic of the switch, which I could not get to move smoothly with each other. I bit the bullet and bought the switch assembly (which includes the wiring harness). The switches function MUCH better than the original ones ever did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts