Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all from "The Cave" somewhere deep in the Mojave Desert, USA. I just joined your group as I have 99% decided that I will be using the drive system from a 650 (and other borrowed parts) to power my next adventure. I am in the process of building a single seat enclosed reverse three wheeler (with A/C) . The vehicle is to be 39 inches tall, 42 inches wide, and 15 - 16 feet long. It has a frontal area of 11.375 sq feet and a predicted CD of around .20. Depending on the fuel mileage it gets during testing, and based on what I have read fellow members are getting, the fuel load will be between 50+ and 70+ gallons. By now you are probably thinking " how did this guy escape from the sanitarium?". Easy, they released me due to the pandemic... I know, bad joke. If any one here has suggestions, comments, critiques etc..... please, let them fly. Stay safe all.
021 Alfa 198 presentation 09-07-2020.jpg

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
Welcome, you gonna fit in good here .... will your torpedo have a/c ?

Reactions: bristowest

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Hi Paul. Welcome to the forums.

I may move this to another part of the forum after a while. I will let you know.

You will find the members willing to share info freely. A few members will share too much too.
We have a few members that really load up their scooters and go on thousand mile camping trips, before Covid19 hit.

The general size on the Burgman 650 engine module has not changed from 2002 through 2018 so if you find a cheap 2003 for 'mock-up' but then want a 2015 for its better gas mileage you can always sell the 2003's parts. If you were closer I'd loan you a 2003 650 engine module.

Reactions: bristowest

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yes... A/C is definitely a must as the trip will be done in late spring. Hi Dave J.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
I did a 2500 mile trip over 5 days in 2007 on my Burgman 650. I had about 175 pounds of gear, my 200 pounds body and the 650's 625 pounds. I went from sea level near Seattle to Billings Montana at 70 - 80 MPH and got 47 MPG for that part. Yes that is over the Cascade's and the Rocky's Continental Divide so not a walk in the park. I did a full tank run at 95- 105 MPH going down to Wyoming and got 35 MPG for that tank. But the tank fillup before that I may not have gotten as full as normal, it was dark, I was tired and in a hurry to get to camp.

These 650's run on the lowest grade regular gas 'World Wide' and do not care if you are at sea level or at 11,000 high mountain pass in Colorado.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a 2500 mile trip over 5 days in 2007 on my Burgman 650. I had about 175 pounds of gear, my 200 pounds body and the 650's 625 pounds. I went from sea level near Seattle to Billings Montana at 70 - 80 MPH and got 47 MPG for that part. Yes that is over the Cascade's and the Rocky's Continental Divide so not a walk in the park. I did a full tank run at 95- 105 MPH going down to Wyoming and got 35 MPG for that tank. But the tank fillup before that I may not have gotten as full as normal, it was dark, I was tired and in a hurry to get to camp.

These 650's run on the lowest grade regular gas 'World Wide' and do not care if you are at sea level or at 11,000 high mountain pass in Colorado.
Excellent information. I plan to maintain posted speed (don't want to get pulled over as it will stand out) but in places like Texas that is 80 mph.. so I plan on the trip taking between 34 - 36 hours..... but it is great to hear about how it did climbing the Rocky's and the high speed with the weight. Thanks.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
bristowest ,

Have you ridden a B650 yet ? If not get a road worthy one now and spend sometime on it. It will prove to be a great parts chaser for your new build and you will know what you have when it’s time to move all the parts over.

This here is a treasure chest of info for the 1st gen B650.

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
One thing to touch on during the configuring phase is tires.
You will be going for low rolling resistance to maximize the gas mileage so no FAT tires.

On front I'd go with a tall wheel and a skinny tire rated for the load.

But most rear Motorcycle tires that fit the rear may not last for a San Diego to Jacksonville and back to San Diego. We get between 5,000 miles on one, some make it to 6,500 miles but this is pushing a wet weight of around 825 pounds with rider. You will be pushing more weight and the tire may wear faster. Could just change rear tire in Jacksonville.

The factory Bridgestone is a 160/60 HR 14 Radial. There are a few other brands.

Some run a 150/70 SR 14 that is taller (0.71") and not as wide so it may boost the gas mileage but they are Bias ply but that does not seem to effect the ride or the gas mileage.

I am on a 155/65 HR 14 Car Tire. It is also taller (0.37") and will last 25,000 miles. It gives a smoother ride and knocks the RPM down a few, almost 16 less rev's per mile so for your trip it will be 37,600 less revs in the 2350 miles, saving 40 miles.

A 165/65 SR 14 is even taller (0.89") so 36.9 less rev's per mile saving 93 miles for the trip. May not add up enough to pay back.

·
Premium Member
8,330 Posts
don't forget the trailer hitch and tow behind cart so swmbo will have a (separated ) place to sit

·
Registered
367 Posts
Welcome. Love your design, with the exception of the open front wheels, we get rain, dust, dirt and mud up here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
500 miles a day on a 650 or any kind of bike... I hope you had a really comfortable seat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome. Love your design, with the exception of the open front wheels, we get rain, dust, dirt and mud up here.
Where abouts are you? I toyed with the idea of bringing the wheels in and enclosing them (similar to VW's ARVW) but I would give up too much needed space if I wanted to maintain my basic size. So, I look at the outrigger tires as an homage to the trike that originally got me thinking about this odyssey...

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
don't forget the trailer hitch and tow behind cart so swmbo will have a (separated ) place to sit
OK, I looked at the FAQs and the commonly used terms, I tried filling in the blanks but all I could come up with were creative cuss words.... what does swmbo mean?

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
Indycycle by Jamieson G DuRette

Most members on here did not read your Facebook back story so they may think this will be a daily ride.

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
OK, I looked at the FAQs and the commonly used terms, I tried filling in the blanks but all I could come up with were creative cuss words.... what does swmbo mean?
She Who Must Be Obeyed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Never mind... look it up in wiki.... Bwahahahaha! She will be in the motor-home cussing me out the whole trip about my "idiotic idea" and "waste of money".....hmmm. maybe I won't put in blue tooth after all? LOL

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One thing to touch on during the configuring phase is tires.
You will be going for low rolling resistance to maximize the gas mileage so no FAT tires.

On front I'd go with a tall wheel and a skinny tire rated for the load.

But most rear Motorcycle tires that fit the rear may not last for a San Diego to Jacksonville and back to San Diego. We get between 5,000 miles on one, some make it to 6,500 miles but this is pushing a wet weight of around 825 pounds with rider. You will be pushing more weight and the tire may wear faster. Could just change rear tire in Jacksonville.

The factory Bridgestone is a 160/60 HR 14 Radial. There are a few other brands.

Some run a 150/70 SR 14 that is taller (0.71") and not as wide so it may boost the gas mileage but they are Bias ply but that does not seem to effect the ride or the gas mileage.

I am on a 155/65 HR 14 Car Tire. It is also taller (0.37") and will last 25,000 miles. It gives a smoother ride and knocks the RPM down a few, almost 16 less rev's per mile so for your trip it will be 37,600 less revs in the 2350 miles, saving 40 miles.

A 165/65 SR 14 is even taller (0.89") so 36.9 less rev's per mile saving 93 miles for the trip. May not add up enough to pay back.
Agreed.... low-friction tires are a must. Keeping the rev's down would be an added plus... not to mention the smooth ride. I'm looking at Michilin's Premier A/S and Energy Saver A/S (175/65R15), Bridgestone's Ecopia EP422 plus(175/65R15), and Dunlop's Enasave 01 A/S (145/65R15 or 165/65 R14).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Indycycle by Jamieson G DuRette

Most members on here did not read your Facebook back story so they may think this will be a daily ride.
Eventually I will make a stronger model to be a daily ride.
Welcome, you gonna fit in good here .... will your torpedo have a/c ?
Definitely have A/C!!!!!!
Ironically I never thought of it as a torpedo but the more I look at....

·
Administrator
18,708 Posts
On the rear, it is a 14 inch rim but Motorcycle 14" is really 14.25" so a Car tire is a tight fit and needs special care to fit.

That said, a 165/65 14 is about as wide as you will need. I can not see needing a wider foot print.

This is not a recommendation to anyone to try this but you can fit a 185/60 14 if you grind down the sides of the swing arm. You don't need to grind much, just the factory foundry casting flash at the molds two seams. This tire is 1.18 inches TALLER. But it will drop the RPM about 260 per minuet. I ran that size tire until my 2015 crash that almost killed me. But THAT tire was not the crash cause, I got hit at 70 MPH by a flying tire off another car.

The swing arm pocket is the limiting factor on how big you can go.

Reactions: Blacktruck
1 - 20 of 83 Posts