Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used both style of boots ? & which one is the better ? or is it just a matter of prefrence ?
I'm kinda leaning towards Europeon style because of ankle, & shin protection, in addition to being waterproof.
What are the best brands out there & your experence with them ?

Butch :?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I wear an American boot simply because I've never found a European boot that fit. I wear an American size 14. One accessories place ordered me a set of European boots once. Size 42 or something like that. They were too small. It's pretty hard to find American riding boots in size 14 too though.

I've also found that a boot that is comfortable when riding, isn't necessarily very comfortable for walking. It is important to me that a boot is acceptably comfortable for walking around when I'm off the bike. I have a set of Corbin boots that is very comfortable on the motorcycle, the scooter, and when walking. Unfortunately, Corbin got out of the boot business, so I hope these last forever...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Butch said:
Has anyone used both style of boots ? & which one is the better ? or is it just a matter of prefrence ?
I'm kinda leaning towards Europeon style because of ankle, & shin protection, in addition to being waterproof.
What are the best brands out there & your experence with them ?

Butch :?
Butch,

Wife and I bought each other boots for Christmas. I believe they are made out of the country even though they say Harley Davidson on the side. They are lace up with zippers on the side so you can get in and out of them quicker. We have not ridden with them yet but they sure seem comfortable to walk in. We will see?

Helix

·
Registered
822 Posts
pauljo said:
I've also found that a boot that is comfortable when riding, isn't necessarily very comfortable for walking. It is important to me that a boot is acceptably comfortable for walking around when I'm off the bike. I have a set of Corbin boots that is very comfortable on the motorcycle, the scooter, and when walking. Unfortunately, Corbin got out of the boot business, so I hope these last forever...
I've worn boots my whole life... mostly because my instep is so high that regular shoes dig into it and hurt. So riding on any kind of motorcycle or scooter is no change from my daily boots. My advice would be to buy boots that are comfortable for walking. If they're comfortable for walking then riding should be no problem. I would think that boots that are made for motorcycle riding probably wouldn't be very comfortable for walking.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
chuck807 said:
I would think that boots that are made for motorcycle riding probably wouldn't be very comfortable for walking.
Sadly, that is often the case, but there are exceptions.

Another point about motorcycle boots is that some of their features are superfluous for scooter riding. The reinforced toe shifter pad is one such item. Also, if you crash on a motorcycle it is much more likely that some part of the bike will slam down on your ankle, than with a scooter. But I do ride both, so the motorcycle boot makes sense for me.

I also like the side zippers on my motorcycle boots for ease of getting in and out of them. I would not by a lace up boot after getting used to that. Few, if any, non-motorcycle boots have that feature.

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I have a pair of Red Wing western-style boots (low heel) that are comfortable riding and walking. They also have a similar pair of "motorcycle" boots but they have all of the metal crap on them for Harley riders.
Don

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Untill Bleeder increases my Social Security payment I'll have to stick to Walmart boots.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Good motorcycle boots can be pricey - that's for sure. I lucked out on my Corbin's. They were having a closeout sale when they discontinued the line. Given reasonable care, a set of boots should last a long time though. I rub mine down with a leather conditioner several times each season.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boots, American or European

I was at my Suzuki dealer yesterday & I was asking my salesman about boots & he pointed out one big difference between American & European styles. He said suppose a car comes at you from the side, you will have a lot more protection with shin guards, & ankle protection,& even if they cost several hundred dollars, they will last you at least 20 years, because your only going to be using them for riding, & occasional walking. So the more that I think about it the more I like the European style. Road Runner did a nice review on the Oxtar Infinity boot in it's December issue & I was really impressed with preview & the Big picture of them on the First Gear web site. A little pricey at $300.00, but if they last 20 years I would be real pleased

Butch :D

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have a pair of Sear boots I wear on longer trips but most times I use over the ankle sneakers (basketball).
Most of the time the boots only stop you from "branding" your calf on the muffler..--not a problem with scooters-- In an accident if your foot and ankle are held tight as in a good boot (or sneaker) that's about all you can do to protect yourself.
Of course that's just my opinion . :roll:

·
Registered
794 Posts
On my second pair

vfdcaptain said:
Has anyone tried the Cruiserworks Boots, in particular the "men's touring boots"?

http://www.cruiserworks.com/products.html

Living here on the Westcoast, I would like something that is both comfortable to walk in, and yet totally waterproof.

Thanks 8)
I'm on my second pair. Ruined the right boot on a low speed spill on my HD Electraglide. (Saved my toes and ankle) Replaced them immediately as I've been very satisfied with them after trying many others. I commuted to my job at Boeing in Seattle for several years in all kinds of nasty weather and never had a problem with leaking. they're relatively comfortable to walk in but I certainly wouldn't go hiking in them.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
794 Posts

vfdcaptain said:
Thanks Dan. Did you order through the Internet, and if so, how did you get the right size for your feet?

I have quite wide feet and find it hard :( to find work boots to fit properly.
Reg,

I ordered the first pair over the internet and the second over the phone. I wear a pretty standard if slightly wide 9 1/2 and my boots fit me quite well. Give them a call. They're nice people to deal with.

I wear the Men's Tour (there were only 2 styles when I ordered my first pair). I also use their insoles and riding socks.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
794 Posts
vfdcaptain said:
Thanks Dan! I think I'll order a pair in the New Year. 8)

What are you using for rain gear?
Hi Reg,

I've recently switched to Frogg Toggs and I wish I'd had them years ago. They're waterproof, breathable, comfortable, and reasonably priced. You can order them on line at http://www.froggtoggs.com/ but my wife and I got ours at a show discount at a motorcycle rally.

Regards,

Dan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts