Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Book or PDF?

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  ErikDK 
#1 ·
Admittedly computer "slow" here. I need to get manual for my 2008 400 .
Going through Ebay, I notice you can get the PDF a lot cheaper than the manual.
Is there a benefit to having the manual over the PDF?

Can I download the PDF to a single flash drive ?

I have always bought manuals for my vehicles and it's great being able to flip through the pages (and get them all dirty). But Suzuki sure is proud of their manual - in price, anyway.

A benefit I can see to having a flash drive is you can save a lot of space when traveling and still have the manual with you.

Another reason I would put it on a flash drive is in case my computer crashes.

Thanks for any thoughts on this! - Mike

#3 ·
I am computer literate although I still prefer manuals to be in paper format (hopefully with electronic editions). The convenience of the paper manual is greater to me than using a tablet or laptop computer in the shop where I can promise that things will have greasy fingerprints on them.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

#4 ·
Sure, the pdf size is approx. 40 MB, the min size of modern flash drive being prob 1 GB.

However for me it's always easier to work on bike with printed stuff at hand, so i suspect some part of the pdf if not all will end up on paper anyways :)

#7 ·
PDF lets you search for phrases or words, and you can zoom in and print out to get a better view of things.

If the pages you print out for a certain task get stained or ruined, you just print them out again.

My wiring diagram is printed out on a 2½' by 1½' sheet, so I don't have to use a magnifying glass to follow the wires.
I have even assigned the different circuits to different layers, which I can turn on and off individually, so only the interesting ones are visible - try that with a paper version.

#11 ·
PDF lets you search for phrases or words, and you can zoom in and print out to get a better view of things.
A scanned PDF won't let you do a search since its all pictures. You can search text format. If its a scanned copy you can print out a single page at a time or even blow it up for clarity - but many of those scans are kinda crappy.

#8 ·
I agree PDF if a true PDF and not a scanned patchwork job is an awesome tool to have. Being able to enlarge and print out diagrams is worth it's weight in gold for me. You don't have to be that computer literate either. I even keep a copy on my phone so I always have it with me. ;)

#9 ·
I tried one of those from eBay and it was a lousy scan. I have a paper manual, but have found the online manual from cyclepedia.com is useful and high quality, better pictures than even the manual from Suzuki. It costs $35 for lifetime online access, but I highly recommend it. Often, I need to search for something and this is good for that. I'll often take my iPad to the garage and use that instead of the paper copy. I can print just a few pages to keep in front of me vs. ripping pages from the manual. IMHO, this is cheaper and could substitute for a paper manual. That, plus LeDude's stuff and you're pretty much good to go.

#14 ·
http://www.tradebit.com/G/manuals

Buy the $8 download from this site. If you don't like it, pay the dough for the book.

What will you lose? $8 and a few minutes download time. It's worth it if for no other reason than the .pdf is portable. You can keep it with you at all times.

I have mine on a iPad and its a great reference source to have with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.