Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At just under 1800 miles on my 05 650, I had a very strange body part failure. On the rear of the bike, the plastic that is just above the license plate and below the tail lights failed. This piece hooks into the left and right side panels with 2 L shaped hooks per side. It is held in place with 2 plastic push rivits. I noticed on the right side the top edge of the part, where it meets the side panel, was sticking out about an 1/8 of an inch. After looking closer, I found that it was unattached and flapping around a little. I went to the dealer. We pulled the two rivits underneath and found the plastic L that slips into the side panel had broken clean off. A close look showed that the other 3 L hooks were about to go!

The dealer told me he would have to get permission from Suzuki to replace the part (the start of a whole other problem). He explained that Suzuki generally did not honor warranty on body parts after the first 90 days. Actually, he said it as "appearance items".

He went on to say he would have to figure out what to tell Suzuki to get them to replace it! ^%$&^$&%(*^)&^& was about what I said. My suggestion to him was to tell Suzuki that they are going to replace it or they would be eating a 650 for dinner!

Any similar experiences out there?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I doubt that it's a warranty issue. Someone else had that problem, and the dealer admitted that it was his ham-handed mechanic.

It doesn't take much to break those ABS tabs. Don't ask me how I know this. But ABS cement works well, as does a good epoxy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The first time I took the same piece off mine in order to add the GIVI top box I, too, broke all 4 hooks 99% off. They were each hanging by a thread. I used some JB Weld epoxy to put them back in place but even that didnt hold and I later had to resort to some good quality crazy glue from a trade show. I've never had another problem. Of course, the secret is to know to pull the whole piece straight down towards the ground and THEN backwards to remove it. It sounds like the "ham-handed" mechanic was learning as he went (as did I). I'll bet someone did the same to yours before you got it.

Bob
Mason, Oh

Bama Brian said:
I doubt that it's a warranty issue. Someone else had that problem, and the dealer admitted that it was his ham-handed mechanic.

It doesn't take much to break those ABS tabs. Don't ask me how I know this. But ABS cement works well, as does a good epoxy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts