Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found on the webBikeWorld BMW C 650 GT Scooter Blog. http://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-c-650-gt/blog.htm

From "J.W.T." (December 28, 2012): "Just ran a C 650 GT on a Dynojet dyno, the power maxes out at 47hp (blue graph). The Burgman is at 41, and 44 (red graph) dyno tuned with SS exhaust."
[attachment=0:1faxjqa0]bmw-scooter-dyno-run.jpg[/attachment:1faxjqa0]

Chris

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,375 Posts
Well if this is a 100% unmodified C650 then that hp graph shows a wide power band well past 8500 RPM, where as a Burgman kind of spikes up to 44 hp and then the rev limiter kicks in at 8200ish RPM. So looks like the KING is dead.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave_J said:
...So looks like the KING is dead.
Dave, the 400 is alive and well... :lol:

Chris

·
Administrator
18,375 Posts
In the puny 400 cc class You are right. :D

The thing about Horsepower is that it is what will hold the C650 at a given speed, say 4000 RPM before it HAS to ether increase RPM or downshift to hold that speed. The true graph I would like to see it the torque spread. Torque is what make it quick.

The C650 has almost as much HP at 4000 RPM as the BurgerKing at 7400 RPM. But the C650 HOLDS 45 HP, +/- 2 HP, from 5000 to almost 9000 RPM.

I would have to say that yes the C650 will out run a Burgman, 400 cc or 638 cc, matters not. Check and Mate!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dave_J said:
So looks like the KING is dead.

Nope, mine runs just as good as it ever did which is good enough for me. Getting from 0 to 60 mph in 5.6 seconds compared to 6.2 means absolutely nothing to me. Seat height, and storage area mean lots more to me and mine does exactly what I want it to except too often it gets lost and a 6 mile round trip ends up 25 -30 miles but I enjoy every mile of it so I don't care.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I like my Burgman 650.... Not gonna go chase something new down.... Go Burgman..... YEAHHHHHHH!!!
:wav:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well can those who have the ability conjure up the $/HP table? :D

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I wonder how they did the dyno run on the Burgman.
On the BMW, with mechanical CVT, they could do nothing, but on the Burgman they could have used auto, power or manual mode.

It would be interesting to know what Suzuki did wrong on the Burgman. Isuspect optimizing for low-grade fuel, and to small volume of the air intake plenum.

It can't be focusing on low-end grunt, because the CVT controller never lets you use below 3k rpm, except at start.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I would say from riding the 650GT will outrun a Burgman but won't get to 60 mph faster.
Top end for sure but the CVT in Power mode puts the advantage to the Burgman.

That said I did not miss the Power mode on the GT when riding but surely would have in hard twisties.
The top would be nice tho. 650 Burgman runs out a bit too soon and gulps gas over 75 mph.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It's an interesting comparison, but it is just that, a comparison of the two bikes power delivery. It's likely it's inacurate with the actual figures it quotes, they often are so I wouldn't read too much into it as we don't know what type of dyno was used, and how the testing was carried out, as Erik says. I'll bet the Burgman was in 'D' for the map we are seeing, but they probably used the other power settings for the tranny too for putting down a marker. Some dyno machines will factor those results in if you want to any other runs you do with altered transmission settings to get an average output. But not a good idea really as it's all a bit false IMHO. From experience of testing on inertia dyno's, mechanical CVT does a brilliant job of keeping the engine power and revs very stable under full load and has the effect of flattening the torque curve some. That's a good thing for road use and is one reason why our Burgman 400's go so well. I don't have any experience of dyno testing a Burgman 650, but it is usually done in 'D' mode I understand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts