Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been posted on here before (cant find it in a search) but there's a UK based online motorcycle magazine with another review of the BMW scoots. Not bad for a free magazine either. http://www.theridersdigest.co.uk/

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
yep a good read by someone who actually had ridden scooters , and is clearly a Tmax fan
- skip to pdf page 51 (if you do the pdf version)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The reviewer is a journo and long time FF (feet forward) enthusiast called Paul Blezard (or Blez) was a member here (2004). He has a collection of bikes - including a Lardy, a Genisis (covered and streamlined Lardy) a Tmax and last and time I looked in his garage a BMW GS. He has raced both Lardys and TMax on the track.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
He confirm BMW scoot made by Kymco.

He confirm plastic quality poor on BMW and scoot delivery delay to market because taht problem.

Me prefer 650 burgie to BMW scoot.

Here BMW GT will sell $2000.00 -$3000.00 more than 650 Exec with standard heat seat and heat grip.

Will wait for 650 replacement by Suzuki.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
There was a "review" of sorts on the Honda NC700X. It was titled, "Duller Than A Deauville?" I guess that should give you a clue for the content.

He goes outside to look at the NC700X and...
Well, what can I say? It was so dull I couldn’t be bothered to take the lens cap off my camera. Nothing about it appealed to me. I looked at it from every angle, walked around it several times, stepped way back, stepped up close… Nope, nothing to see here - move along, please!
So the pictures in the "review" are obviously not his... :roll:

It then of course dawns on me. It’s a scooter! That’s why I can’t get excited about it. A sheep in wolves clothing… It’s dull but now I understand why. It’s not for motorcyclists, it’s for people that would usually buy a large scooter and just want daily transport. I don’t have a problem with that. They are not looking for passion or integrity, a lifestyle or sense of adventure from their ride - they just want value
for money and the reliability of a Honda badge.
I kinda thought we all liked value for our money. And it probably isn't noticeable to anyone else, but I feel a passion for the Burgman 400...and I'm not sure what integrity has to do with what you ride. As for a lifestyle and sense of adventure...if he could get here in time, he could go with me to Artist Point at Mt. Baker. Probably tighter corners than he's ever ridden on before though. (Maybe he'd like to borrow a Burgman so he could handle them? :lol: )

‘Simon’ asks me about doing the test ride and I actually decline. This is a first for me and I tell him it’s really ‘not my thing’, and thank him for his time anyway. Yes, I was surprised too. I could now be telling you that it had an average ride and a quiet engine with average brakes, and not a lot of engine revs. Maybe it has no power-band, just steady torque that is fine for most urban commuting – who knows? Not me…
He didn't even bother putting his name on the "review". Maybe the editors looked at the "review" and decided it wasn't worth any thing?

Chris

·
Registered
677 Posts
Daboo said:
There was a "review" of sorts on the Honda NC700X. It was titled, "Duller Than A Deauville?" I guess that should give you a clue for the content.

He goes outside to look at the NC700X and...
Well, what can I say? It was so dull I couldn’t be bothered to take the lens cap off my camera. Nothing about it appealed to me. I looked at it from every angle, walked around it several times, stepped way back, stepped up close… Nope, nothing to see here - move along, please!
So the pictures in the "review" are obviously not his... :roll:

[quote:7xzbw3dr]It then of course dawns on me. It’s a scooter! That’s why I can’t get excited about it. A sheep in wolves clothing… It’s dull but now I understand why. It’s not for motorcyclists, it’s for people that would usually buy a large scooter and just want daily transport. I don’t have a problem with that. They are not looking for passion or integrity, a lifestyle or sense of adventure from their ride - they just want value for money and the reliability of a Honda badge.
I kinda thought we all liked value for our money. And it probably isn't noticeable to anyone else, but I feel a passion for the Burgman 400...[/quote:7xzbw3dr]
Passion? You, Chris? Naaaah, surely not. ;)

Daboo said:
and I'm not sure what integrity has to do with what you ride. As for a lifestyle and sense of adventure...if he could get here in time, he could go with me to Artist Point at Mt. Baker. Probably tighter corners than he's ever ridden on before though. (Maybe he'd like to borrow a Burgman so he could handle them? :lol: )

‘Simon’ asks me about doing the test ride and I actually decline. This is a first for me and I tell him it’s really ‘not my thing’, and thank him for his time anyway. Yes, I was surprised too. I could now be telling you that it had an average ride and a quiet engine with average brakes, and not a lot of engine revs. Maybe it has no power-band, just steady torque that is fine for most urban commuting – who knows? Not me…
He didn't even bother putting his name on the "review". Maybe the editors looked at the "review" and decided it wasn't worth any thing?
Hehe, well yes, it was bad, but it could have been worse. At least he acknowledges scooters as practical transportation choices. We can reciprocate and acknowledge his sort of bike as an effective means of ridding oneself of excess money for a little bit of fair-weather fun. :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Chris which page of this PDF is the review you refer to.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Aaaha - I figured you may have been talking about another edition, I was flipping back and forward a couple of times before I gave up looking for the article you mentioned.

OK I have read the article now, the guy writes under a nom de plume - a bit like us really. He may have been trying to wind the editor up - who rides a Lardy !

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
How to make money from an Internet website:

1 Write a controversial article that will upset a LOT of people. Truth and facts are strictly optional.

2 Many people will come read the article because they have heard about it from others

3 They will tell more people about it.

4 Repeat step 2, repeat step 3.

5 Repeat step 4. Several times.

6 Readers will flame the writer.

7 Readers will defend the writer.

8 Repeat steps 6 and 7 fifty to 200 times depending on the controversy.

9 Collect the payments from the advertisers who are billed on a "per view" basis.

10 Laugh all the way to the bank.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
In many respect reviews are merely opinions.
Jeremy Clarkson gives some vehicles absolutely shocking reviews yet manufacturers are always willing to enter the lions den and have JC review their offering. BUT it is just his opinion and many people enjoy his humorous, albeit somewhat shallow reviews.
On the subject of the riders digest - we should celebrate it has been made freely available online, overall it is an interesting read - do I agree with everything it says - hell no - but I still read it, adverts or no adverts.
Of course this is just my opinion and your view will probably be different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts