Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BMW rates the electric motor at 11 kW — or 15 horsepower — with a temporary boost to 47 HP and an impressive 53 pound-feet of torque when you twist the grip. Range is rated at over 60 miles in mixed riding, with a 0-60 MPH time of 6.2 seconds, and the ability to top up the pack from zero to full in four hours using a 220-volt outlet.
LED lighting, ABS, and even heated grips are standard, as is an incredibly trick TFT display for keeping tabs on speed and range. And like most EVs, the C evolution has a series of settings that can either maximize performance or range, along with regenerative braking and an integrated traction control system that cuts torque if the rear wheel starts spinning faster than the front.
But for now, it’s a Euro-only affair, with sales slated to begin across the pond next year.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The problem is that the range is simply not enough. I ride 28 miles each way each day to work and 62 miles is simply cutting it too close for comfort.

Well, that and the fact that I probably couldn't afford a BMW in the first place...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I drive an Electric Car so I am very interested in Electric Motorcycles.....
But......BMW have dropped the Ball.
The Battery fitted is only small in comparison to electric cars but will take 4 hours to charge on 220v
My Electric car has old charging technology and that 'only' takes 3 hours to fully charge from flat.
The latest electric cars have 3 times the battery capacity of the BMW Scooter but have a fast charge facility.
On a fast charging station they will charge to 80% in just 28 minutes.
BMW please try harder......

Andy

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Got an electric car, eh? Cool! I spotted a Tesla Model S in traffic here in Tampa last week. Very cool to see something like at riding right next to me.

I hadn't realized that battery/charger technology had advanced that far. It does make me surprised that BMW doesn't have the latest stuff.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
The problem is that the range is simply not enough. I ride 28 miles each way each day to work and 62 miles is simply cutting it too close for comfort.
If you could recharge at work, the bike has almost twice as much range as you need for that.
Well, that and the fact that I probably couldn't afford a BMW in the first place...
That's a problem. Actually, it's a pretty serious one -- in addition to paying for the BMW logo, batteries are still not cheap.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Perhaps your work has a 220 outlet, but there simply isn't one at mine. I suspect I could find a 110 outlet if I hunted around the parking garage for a bit though.

But the price (and I have no clue what the actual price is) is simply a killer. I can afford a nicely depreciated Burgman. A brand-new BMW... not so much.

·
Registered
201 Posts
BMW Electric Scooter - C Evolution

BMW Electric C Scooter Looking Very Likely

Oct 22, 2013 • BMW, Electric, SF Feature2 Comments
We reported last week that BMW plans to bring its C-series scooters to the American market in the next six weeks or so. Expected on the horizon is the third sibling in that scooter family, the BMW C-EV. Labeled the C evolution in pre-production concept form, this 100% electric version is intended to garner somewhat equivalent performance to its dinosaur consuming siblings (75 mph), but retain a useful range for everyday commuting use (60 miles). That bike looked to us to be less of a concept and more of a pre-production prototype. In a recent press release, BMW has confirmed that suspicion:

http://www.scooterfile.com/video/video-real-riders-test-ride-the-bmw-c-evolution-electric-scooter/

SB: This probably isn't 60 miles at 75 mph.

60 miles at 50 mph would work for me.
However, most commuters probably want a 130 mile range.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Got an electric car, eh? Cool!
Well, it's only a small one but perfectly formed :lol:

It can carry two people, with the passenger sitting behind the driver.
They don't have windows as standard! But mine has aftermarket windows fitted.
It has a maximum speed of 52 mph and officially will do 62 Miles on a single charge which takes 3 hours to charge from flat (on 220v which is common in the Uk)
But in the real world it's maximum range is 45 miles in the Summer and 35 miles in the Winter.
I hope BMW are a little more accurate with there Electric Scooters range estimate.....
But I believe the Law in the USA is a bit stronger for consumer products, and it has to do what it says on the can???

Andy

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just can't figure out what is wrong with getting 60+ MPG on a Burgman 400 and you can ride it for 200 miles and it only takes a minute to refuel. Electric vehicles have come a long way but they need to find the technology to extend the range to somewhere near gasoline vehicles. When BMW says it gets 62 miles per charge THAT IS ALL IT GETS... if it got 63 miles, then they would state it in the ad. So, what sort of driving does a person have to do to squeeze out the 62 mile range. Don't get me wrong, It is nice to see BMW innovating a product in an attempt to provide clean transportation and clean air, but the endurance of electrical system needs to be at least doubled or tripled before I would consider buying. I do like the styling... Something both the Burgmans could benefit from.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Electric vehicles have come a long way but they need to find the technology to extend the range to somewhere near gasoline vehicles.
Don't forget that with a Electric vehicle there is almost zero servicing.
No Fuel system, no Ignition system, no exhaust system, no Oil Changes, no Cooling System etc etc :D

Andy

·
Registered
55 Posts
The one thing people with electric vehicles always forget. Electricity is generated by converting energy from other sources. What they don't burn in their vehicles is burned somewhere else. There is not enough wind and solar power to run our country, and we have to have energy even if the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing. Can't rely on water generation, the rain comes and goes. So, fossil fuels are the answer for the foreseeable future. I live near wind farms, and the killing of birds by them is an untold story. Also, cattle don't like being near them because of the sounds the blades make.
I have no use for electric vehicles, I can see a use for hybrids, they make the most sense.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't believe electric vehicles will be truly practical as long as charging times take so long. It's got to get down to the minutes that it takes for liquid fuel vehicles or, have one charge supply a complete day's worth of driving. The one rider in the video said she felt like riding all day long well, good luck to that!!! I think the breakthrough will come when they standardize battery packs to a few choices so, fuel stations can keep banks of charged batteries ready and all you have to do is make an exchange.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just my opinion, but it seems to me that a hybrid bike would be ideal if it can recharge itself like the Prius does. The 2 motors together could give you the horsepower you need to get up to speed, at which time you would only have to deal with rolling resistance. Imagine a smaller gas engine, such as a 150 cc, along with an electric motor big enough to keep the bike moving forward without assistance when you need to. Together they should be able to run twice the distance that a gas engine alone can go, and it should be able to keep up with traffic. I am talking mixed use, not a long hauler, but even as a long hauler a hybrid would double your distance. Our Honda PCX 150 can top out at 67 mph. At good 200cc should be able to cruise at highway speeds, plus run on electric only in the city for up to 40 miles.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Electricity is generated by converting energy from other sources. What they don't burn in their vehicles is burned somewhere else.
This^
It's just a different end (electric vehicles).
There is no venture that doesn't begin with oil or take oil to get it done.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
This^
It's just a different end (electric vehicles).
There is no venture that doesn't begin with oil or take oil to get it done.
Sometimes, though, it only takes oil during the construction phase (hydro, solar, wind, geothermal, or nuclear).

·
Registered
585 Posts
You don't need to have recharging stations placed all over. At least Israel and Denmark seems to be on the right track. They are looking at enacting law that makes EV's use the same battery pack - and have them interchangeable. Why couldn't a motorcycle couldn't use similar technology? A recharging station every 50 miles on the interstate highways may become common place - some day.

And for the guys posting the pics - Thanks for posting them - but how about learning to resize the damned things? Please. Like to no more than 1000 pixels across the top? Large pics are a PITA when trying to read a thread. Makes everyone have to scroll horizontally.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts