Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of year ago got fed up of paying Suzuki dealer $34.00 excluding tax every 10,000 - 12,000 mile for new Suzuki air filter, at that time could not find aftermarket OE equivalent in dry filter and K&N not make specific air filter model for 650 Burgie. Did find high quality Italian manufacturer BMC who manufacture many model of air filter for many bike brand and model that engineer model BMC FM388/19 air filter specifically for 650 Burgie. This is same principle like K&N air filter that you oil, me clean and re-oil BMC filter every 10-11k approx.

Here are comments on this unit: it a quality product, rubber frame and gasket fit exactly same as OEM unit, color is red instead of black, it fit bike filter enclosure perfectly like OEM air filter, it media and screening about the same as K&N. Because me clean about every 10k or so it never really get very dirty. Prefer clean more often @10k because cleaner and oil very inexpensive and each bottle can do at least 5-6 cleaning and re-oiling.

Paid $56.00 for BMC air filter and less than $15.00 total for 2 bottle kit of one each cleaner and oil in kit, about same price as 2 OEM air filter. Presently from experience so far this filter will outlive bike, so really really inexpensive long term, it perform as well as OEM filter and not need to run around chasing Suzuki air filter. BMC filter & kit more than paid for now.

Something to consider if you do own maintenance on bike or if so incline to purchase such item.

http://ca.bmcairfilters.com/

·
Registered
255 Posts
Good info Cherie, thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
23 Posts
BMC Filter

I spent 4 hours in phone calls & surfing the web to discover that K & N don't make an air filter for the 650 so also went the BMC route (already use one on my car). Similar scenario to purchase a BMC here in Oz but was quite happy to pay AUD $59.00, free postage from the good ol US of A. Should be arriving any day now & hope it compliments my Yoshi system.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Should be arriving any day now & hope it compliments my Yoshi system.

Contrary to claim such as K&N and other such manufacturer, it do not push more air in sufficient quantity to make additional noticeable horsepower.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Thank you Cherie. I just went on to Amazon and bought one for my Burgman. I have used K&N air filters for years and expect the same kind of service out of this BMC filter. If K&N had made a filter that fit well for the Burgman 650 I would have gone with it (my old familiar standard). Glad to hear from your review that this filter is a quality one too.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
207 Posts
For anyone switching to an oiled-foam style filter, be careful when you clean and re-oil these (e.g. using K&N filtercharger kit). A common problem is over-oiling which can get oil further down the intake path and damage air flow/pressure sensors.

I used K&N and similar foam filters myself in the past for performance reasons. While they do flow better and save money, they do not filter particles quite as well as a good paper filter.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For anyone switching to an oiled-foam style filter, be careful when you clean and re-oil these (e.g. using K&N filtercharger kit). A common problem is over-oiling which can get oil further down the intake path and damage air flow/pressure sensors.

I used K&N and similar foam filters myself in the past for performance reasons. While they do flow better and save money, they do not filter particles quite as well as a good paper filter.
.+1

These not foam but cotton, but still must not over oil.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Improvement.

Contrary to claim such as K&N and other such manufacturer, it do not push more air in sufficient quantity to make additional noticeable horsepower.
As I said Cherie, "to compliment my Yoshi system" & Dyno figures support this, maybe not singularly but certainly as a combination. When modifying an engine no one modification has much effect, e.g. a high lift camshaft will not work without larger valves, improved flow in & out etc, but as a combination, yes.

·
Registered
493 Posts
have one for many years now

amazon is my friend too.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Any updates on this thread?

I just bought a BMC filter based on it. Wanted to make sure everyone is still happy with the product before it ships.

I have the K&N filter in the 400 and am very pleased with it. Can I use the same recharge kit?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yes, happy with the 650's BMC although I haven't put as many miles on it as planned. When it's ready, I'll use the same stuff to rejuvenate it that I'll use on my 2 cage K&Ns.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Bikemaster sells a reusable/cleanable airfilter for the Burgman 650. Amazon or BikeBandit are a couple of places that sell the filter, seems to run around $50.

Greg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts