Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
Last night on the news they showed a woman turning a corner and hit a pedestrian. The whole thing was got on the police cruisers dash camera right in front of him. The cop gets out and rushes to the aid of the fallen pedestrian and the driver of the car was texting and hurredly drove off and got away.

I have been using a helmet headset for 10 years and 200,000 miles and I do not believe the results of that test. Just talking with hands on the handlebars and looking straight a head is less distracting than even talking to a passenger in a car. Even using my bluetooth device is definetly safer than using a hand held phone or texting or anything else that makes you look away from traffic or road. I don't understand why people text back and forth. The call is cheaper, better understood and faster. I think everyone should have a bluetooth if they are going to be driving and insisting on that kind of communicating. Otherwise lets pass laws like communication devices need to be in the trunk like alcohol.

Reactions: ducati14

Registered
The results are in from a local test on driving with cell/mobile phones. The test was done with drivers of all ages and skill levels. They were tested while driving with a hand set, texting, and bluetoth/hands-free on a closed obstacle course. All were proven dangerous but surprisingly bluetooth/hands-free was the worst followed by texting and then with a hand set. This totally took me by surprise as I figure texting would be number one. In each case every driver "killed" at least one person (simulated of course) during the tests and no one completed any test without a "crash" scored. So I guess it doesn't matter how you use your cell/mobile phone while driving you are endangering every other person out there no matter how safe you think you are being especially you with bluetooth/hands-free sets. :?
Respect the life of others and pull over any time you use your cell/mobile phone. 馃憤
Not really because if you play music from I heart radio it automatically plays the music you like so best suggestion I can give add the music you want to hear then your good to go however if your trying to change the station while riding word of advice don't!! Otherwise you will wreck so if your riding an changing a station wait til your stopped then change it otherwise it can be as bad as texting while driving but if your a safe rider like me no worries .. Happy riding ..

Registered
For just listening (audio or nav prompts) it's probably not adding much risk.

If you have to interact with the phone itself (dialing without voice-dial, clearing missed navigation waypoints, picking an internet radio channel) the risk is significantly higher. If possible, don't do everything at once -- look up at the road between each step in the process. Practice beforehand so you know where to tap even if you can't clearly read the display due to glare.

Registered
I put my music on shuffle and start it before I even leave on my bike. I don't fiddle with it while I'm riding. I made a playlist on my phone for listening while riding. Im very happy with the stereo I have on my Burg.

Registered
Similar to radio comms in aircraft. When I was learning to fly in the early 70's, would nearly lose control if radio comms were necessary (play the soundtrack of WWII fighter in a dive....)! Later, began to discover the priorities: Aviate, Navigate, Communicate in that order. Once cleared for the ILS, report outer marker, comms are very few because the workload increases with the precision required. Driving/riding on a highway is like being on an ILS or more appropriate the localizer (which would be the yellow centerline for you non-flyers) ALL THE TIME! Flying comms generally have SOMETHING relevant to the situation. Cell phone comms generally have NOTHING to do with the driving situation and are a distraction.

Reactions: Rusty J

Registered
Make all cars, bikes & cell phones not work when both powered on and in close proximity, that way if your car or bike stalls, the phone will be able to work, or even if you are five feet outside of your vehicle the phone can power up. Make the vehicles also be able to sense an operating cell phone inside and refuse to crank the engine. That'll stop this nonsense to a great extent.
That's crossed my mind as well in the heat of the moment after someone nearly crashes into me. But then you calm down and think about how that would be a problem for the person whose drunk abusive spouse won't stop the car, or has kidnapped them, or they are car jacked and wake up in the trunk and their phone still in their pocket. And that's just the paranoid things that could happen. You could find yourself a passenger on a long road trip with your spouse of 40 years, or coworkers or distant relatives and if you couldn't communicate or play on your phone, you might have to make small talk for hundreds of miles. That gives me chills.

Unfortunately, we will have to rely on people choosing to do the right thing.

Premium Member
This Thread was started 10 years ago....Phones, Users and Interfaces have progressed....There鈥檚 no way BlueTooth is more dangerous than texting today.

I like the prioritizing of Aviate, Navigate and Communicate with a little Bob Marley in the background.

Reactions: Rusty J

Registered
Well the boss rebel bluetooth which is only 600 watts helps if your using gps and it does not affect my driving, just when I come to a stop if I want to change my music as I always do I'll put my 4 way hazards on an pull off the road then done or I put it on one music station while at home an just go with the flow ..
However if your not an experienced rider or have never rode for over 20 or so years then no I'm not going to tell some teenager to try it, be their luck they wreck or worse. And yes headphones are a no brainer, their illegal to use in all states even California but NC is the worst. I have seen scooterist or motorcyclist wreck more often due to what I call a disaster wating to happen, never ever use headphones !!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts