Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The results are in from a local test on driving with cell/mobile phones. The test was done with drivers of all ages and skill levels. They were tested while driving with a hand set, texting, and bluetoth/hands-free on a closed obstacle course. All were proven dangerous but surprisingly bluetooth/hands-free was the worst followed by texting and then with a hand set. This totally took me by surprise as I figure texting would be number one. In each case every driver "killed" at least one person (simulated of course) during the tests and no one completed any test without a "crash" scored. So I guess it doesn't matter how you use your cell/mobile phone while driving you are endangering every other person out there no matter how safe you think you are being especially you with bluetooth/hands-free sets. :?
Respect the life of others and pull over any time you use your cell/mobile phone. :thumbup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a bluetooth kit on my helmet but I've stopped using it. Nowdays I only turn it on if I'm expecting a specific call (like final directions to the wedding reception I'm late for). I'm not that surprised at the results of the test. They teach you in management school that when two people talk, less than 20% of the message is contained in the words. Take out body language and context and the brain tries to fill in the gaps taking much more processing power than if the person you're talking to is sitting next to you. The add campaign on TV in Oz now is telling us that on two wheels you are 32 times more likely to suffer serious injury or death. Message bank is a pretty good alternative.

·
Registered
500 Posts
:roll: this frustrates me , If common sense was that common... everyone would have some..... Our laws are based on the fact that someone with little or no common sense screwed up and died. Most (including myself) cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. That is why when I drive my Cage and bike, NO distractions other than Defence Driving...... :thumbup: My safety takes priority...... Besides Drinking and Driving has been a problem and look how well our laws are working for the victims.... OK i'll get off my soap box now..... :oops:

Reactions: CROSSBOLT

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
This is why I hate cell phones while driving. I always used my bluetooth speaker phone on my car's sun visor but have slowly but surely begun to abandon it. Now I try to never use the phone in the car--at all. Just ten minutes ago, a guy pulled out in front of my wife & I in her car (she was driving so she didn't honk) while he was talking on a hand-held cell phone (illegal here btw) I gave the hand symbol for a phone to the ear and turning down to simulate hanging up. I doubt he got the message, though.
Ban all cell phone use while driving--nationwide, I say! Make all cars, bikes & cell phones not work when both powered on and in close proximity, that way if your car or bike stalls, the phone will be able to work, or even if you are five feet outside of your vehicle the phone can power up. Make the vehicles also be able to sense an operating cell phone inside and refuse to crank the engine. That'll stop this nonsense to a great extent.
As for cops and emergency vehicles, they all survived back in the days of CB radios and they can continue to do so without cell phones.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Yakking while driving is NOT new....CB....yati yati yati.....

Then there's us old HAM radio operators that have known how to do this sort of thing for decades. I've driven across the country, using 2m simplex as well as repeaters and have not had a problem multitasking....so I guess that makes it safe, huh? :cheers:

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
The more I've thought about this study the more problems I have with it. To begin, did they have a control group? Did they do a comparison to people talking to other people in the car with them? It would seem to me that it would be just as distracting, or more so since the tendency is to look at the person you're talking to, to be talking to someone in the car as talking to someone using Bluetooth. Are the accidents using the Bluetooth merely the result of the conversation or were the people reaching for something in their car or trying to write something down from their conversation? Scootereno doesn't really give us any real supporting facts about this supposed study. Where did it take place and where can we get a copy of the actual results. I've been involved in enough research projects to know that there are too many variables just to accept someone's word on something this important without seeing how the study was conducted and verifying that it was done under true scientific conditions that eliminated spurious variables. Gene

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
We also don't know the group that was doing the testing. Do they have an agenda of their own or are they a completely unbiased group. It’s fairly easy to make a test say pretty much anything you want if you went in looking for a specific result.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Buffalo said:
We also don't know the group that was doing the testing. Do they have an agenda of their own or are they a completely unbiased group. It’s fairly easy to make a test say pretty much anything you want if you went in looking for a specific result.
Are you saying liars figure or figures lie? :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really didn't want to get into all the details of the testing and I still won't be able to cover it all but....
Testing was done by state patrol, no other passengers were in the car, in all tests constant conversation or texting with questions that required thought were given and random unforeseen events were happening such as ball rolling out with child chasing it. Most used their own car so they were familiar with the vehicle driven. To me it seemed fair and unbiased for a cell/mobile phone based test. It was not an all encompassing distraction test though by any means. Not all drivers were worse with bluetooth or texting. The younger drivers managed the texting 100% better then the older drivers - go figure. Those that obviously could walk and chew gum scored better then those who obviously couldn't. All in all Math was the great equalizer as when simple math questions were asked the scores went south more quickly then with general conversation and trivia questions. They did have an agenda and it was Safety on the Road. So like it or not the results are what they are and the testing was as fairly conducted as possible.
Final result - Phone usage of any kind in a vehicle equals unsafe driving period.
and yes all distractions are a danger while drining.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
Scootereno said:
All in all Math was the great equalizer as when simple math questions were asked the scores went south more quickly then with general conversation and trivia questions.
And how often do you do math problems while talking on your phone and driving :lol: .

I can understand a conversation that requires you to solve a problem distracting you whether it’s on Bluetooth, handheld, or with a passenger. The issue isn't that you are talking but that you are using part of your concentration to solve a problem instead of watching where you are going.

The only part that is applicable to the device is casual conversation.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sorry to disagree. If someone is giving you directions it becomes a math problem ie 2 blocks south,turn right go 4 blocks etc. This is like trying to remember a mathematical formula, hence the math problems.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
HwnScooterBill said:
Make all cars, bikes & cell phones not work when both powered on and in close proximity, that way if your car or bike stalls, the phone will be able to work, or even if you are five feet outside of your vehicle the phone can power up. Make the vehicles also be able to sense an operating cell phone inside and refuse to crank the engine. That'll stop this nonsense to a great extent.
...and will also block some good use of the phone as well. For instance, I have called in some DUIs using a cell phone. In more than one instance, I've stayed on the line and gave the dispatcher updated location information until a trooper could arrive. There are also things like being notified of a family emergency. I would not want those calls blocked simply because the vehicle is running/moving.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
papaburger said:
Sorry to disagree. If someone is giving you directions it becomes a math problem ie 2 blocks south,turn right go 4 blocks etc. This is like trying to remember a mathematical formula, hence the math problems.
I'll agree with you that this is math like but it has no bearing on how you are receiving the information. The results of the concentration that it takes to remember would be the same if you were handsfree, handheld, on a CB or other radio, or listening to someone in the car tell you the directions. For the test to be a valid comparision you have to remove everything from it except the distraction of using the device it's self. Then you can say the device caused the problem not what else you were doing while using it.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Exactly! Gene

·
Registered
496 Posts
Buffalo, I stand corrected. Your logic is impeccable Mr. Spock

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gruntled said:
A true control test would require a similar group of people taking the test without any distractions.
Yes this was done first before any other test as a control.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I personally don't agree with using the phone while riding or driving. If you have to make a call pull over in a safe place and go ahead but the amount of times i have seen people on the phone not consentrating on the road and having near misses.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Let's see, if I'm tooling along at 60 mph (speedo indicated) on my Burgman, I have to subtrace 6 mph (10%) to be accurate...how's that for a math problem while riding and talking? LoL.. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I don't see any mention of the true hands free device such as On Star even mentioned? I have a truck and a Cadillac that both have On Star and over the years they have been used to report drunk drivers and accidents etc. I have a Bluetooth device and discovered that to me it was like having a bean in my ear? It had to be turned on to accept a call and if it was necessary to adjust the volume it took more concentration away from whatever I was doing to think about that. The On Star or any other truly hands free system doesn't seem to distract me since I have only to hit the button on the mirror to accept the call and I'm in business and I can do this on the vehicles steering wheel if I so choose. I too just hate the texting kid or adult at the wheel of a vehicle and my state is just now passing a law making it illegal to text and drive. I have reported and then followed drunk drivers and had On Star patch me through to the police to assist with getting them to where we are and removing a disabled driver from the road. I read a test report just recently that said eating food and driving was the most dangerous thing that could be done other than driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Seems like it would be common sense that would dictate not deliberately doing things that cause accidents and fatalities from the data already collected as opposed to amassing more information before we become willing to stop poor behavior, but alas that is never the way we do it here?

Flint

1 - 20 of 28 Posts