Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting an intercom basically for communication between myself and passenger (wife). Have read a lot of reviews and have narrowed selection down to three units: Scala Q1, Senna SMH5(FM) and UClear HBC100 Plus.

Reviews suggest that people who have these units are satisfied that they operate as advertised and no particular one seems to stand out. Scala and Senna have FM radio while the UClear doesn't but UClear technology puts the mic in the earpiece eliminating the need for boom or wired mic.

Does anyone have experience with any of these units and if so what are your views?

Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is what I got and use with my kids when we're riding. Intercom quality is excellent. Phone conversation quality- my daughter thought I was in the office talking to her :-D. Really clear and excellent stereo speaker system (tested and proven by myself at 97 mph - speedometer speed). It's bluetooth but you can plug in an MP3 player (my daughter listens to her own music). They just released a firmware for both passenger and rider to listen to one source of music player via bluetooth (pandora or iHeart radio solves your FM problem). Read the other reviews for comparison to other products. You will be happy with this one though. I am :-D... Best price in Amazon too ;-D
Amazon.com: Sena SMH10D-10 Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset/Intercom 2- Count: Automotive

·
Registered
83 Posts
Two thumbs up for the Sena SMH10. Absolutely the best Bluetooth intercom I have ever owned. However, the Sena SMH5 offers about 2/3 of the high end functionality of the SMH10 and in my opinion offers a much better bang for the buck if you are looking for a great intercom and bluetooth sound streaming helmet headset. Here is a link that illustrates the difference between these two units. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh-5/

This web site also reviews pretty well all of the helmet intercoms out there and has been my go to source for unbiased information on this sort of product.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have the UClear. I use it for music and phone calls which work great. I intend to get another for my wife so we can chat.

I originally had the Scalia so we could communicate and one of them failed before the warranty was off but because of an accident I was less then a month out of warranty when I contacted them about it and did NOT request warranty. Just wanted to buy the defective part and they had absolutely NO customer service in the States but it was available in Europe. I would have ordered the part from Europe but when I found out that they had NO interest in their product the day after the warranty expired, I decided to jump ship.

A friend of mine had also bought a Scalia and one of his died before the warranty was expired and he had to fight tooth and nail to get them to honor the warranty. I haven't yet owned the UClear long enough or had any complaints so I don't know how they will be if one dies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback - appreciate it. Quick question - for those of you using the Sena SMH5/SMH10 - if using it with a full-face helmet (I use an HJC CL 15) will the boom mic fit or should I opt for a wired mic. I notice in the Web Bike review that they its is best to have the mic as close to the mouth as possible.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use a modular helmet and mostly on full-face mode. No problems here about the mic. Like I said, parties on the other end do not even suspect that I am riding (unless they're riding with me :-D). I do not make a call when riding. I could but I chose not to. I just receive them and talk as short as possible... You'll figure out the mic placement (it's flexible) once you've installed it to your helmet. Ride safe. ;-D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm Scala user. Bought two sets already. Excellent for talking to riding buddy, but use primarily for music and blu tooth I phone takes over whem a call comes in.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
let us know how that works out.
I have some dirt rider friends that loved the Scala but worried about dunking them in a creek fall.

·
Registered
162 Posts
@MacDoc
Will do, may be a while, price is right getting stuff direct from China rather than something warehoused in NA but time to ship to your door sux at 2 to 3 weeks :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got mine direct from China also at dx.com great price haven't had any trouble with it. Especially since we both have very quiet helmets.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the feedback - appreciate it. Quick question - for those of you using the Sena SMH5/SMH10 - if using it with a full-face helmet (I use an HJC CL 15) will the boom mic fit or should I opt for a wired mic. I notice in the Web Bike review that they its is best to have the mic as close to the mouth as possible.
I have the Sena SMH10 and use it on multiple helmets. The SMH10 is an excellent product and a lot of thought went into it.

I personally don't like the boom mics, especially on my Shoei Neotec modular helmet. For me the boom mic was always in the way when putting down the chin bar. On my full face helmets I found the boom mic was always touching my mouth, most annoying. I discovered that the wired mic is much better. I attach mine just above my left eye. This works fantastic, the mic is no longer in the way and the sound is much better. Last month I driving 70 mph when my girlfriend called, she thought I was joking with her when I said I was on the bike and not standing on the side of the road with my Iphone up to my mouth. I had raise up the face shield to prove I was riding. This was never the case when using the boom mic.

Another tip if getting the Sena, buy a Sena SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter if you want your passenger to be able to listen to what you're listening to.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also have the Senna SMH-10. The real technology is naturally in the removable electronic control module. I have several helmets, so I bought 2 extra speaker/microphone helmet adapters and just swap modules depending on what I wear for my ride. It pares with my iPod nano, my cell phone and other Senna Communications devices. The range isn't as good as a CB but then a CB only serves a single function and that often times is to put up with the 10-4 good buddy crowd. The clarity, is great, it is easy to use and a snap to set up. I bought a pair of them last year and two friends were so impressed with them (after using mine) they bought their own.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Had a Cardo Scala Rider G4 - bought this along w/ some friends for m/c trip to Daytona about 5 yrs ago. Worked well for clear communication but sometimes a pain in the butt to get the units to pair up. If someone had their face shield up wind noise was terrible. I hated having the boom in my face (Shoei Multitec at the time). Recently sold my G4 and bought a UCLEAR HBC200 dual set for self and wife - pairs easily, clear intercom conversations and have had clear telephone conversation at 70 MPH on my m/c. What sold me on the UCLEAR was that there is NO boom to deal with. Also easier for me to operate the controls on the unit than the Cardo G4. I found a seller on Ebay for $334 for the set w/ free shipping. He recently had another set listed for $324. Most Ebay sellers have these dual sets listed for $369 - 399.
Local m/c shop doesn't want to carry UCLEAR because it doesn't have FM mode - I only used this on the Cardo when I first got the unit when setting it up but never on the road so it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I've had 3 different Interphone BT intercoms, but installed Sena's SHM10 recently. The Sena's volume is very good. No problem with hearing music, podcasts, or iPhone even at speed. The Sena's controls are very easy to use. Pairs easily, even with other brands.

i recently installed a Scala G9 for my buddy and his wife. I noted that the volume was considerably less than my Sena and the controls were AWFUL!

As for FM radio, that's about useless unless you are in a metropolitan area.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since the wife and I wear half helmets (Bell Pit Bosses) I bought two Sena Sph10h-fm. We really like them. Very easy to pair. The fm is excellent. Great product.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the U-Clear as I have also had problems with the boom mic.

Mine works fine. I use it for tunes when I am going down the road, my GPS and phone also run to it. No body has complained they cannot hear me when I use the phone.
I like the run time as it has never run out of power on me. It charges up quickly as well and has seen some rough and cold weather with out any problems.

Kim

·
Registered
408 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts