Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
chris(approx. 1000 miles under her belt) with her 400 burgman, cousin lee and me on my 650 did the full length of the parkway. returned to bloomsburg, pa via u.s. route 220 and pa rt 45. some rain one nite.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am leaving from southern OH on Monday via US 50 making my way to the northern enterance of Skyline drive. I will be splitting up the trip the following two days traveling Skyline drive and half of hte Blue Grass parkway on Tuesday and the final push to the end on Wednesday. I have a back roads return home to Southern OH on Thursday.

This has been a bucket list item for me therefore i will make this a solo adventure. Any suggestions on accomdations around the MP 199 as this will be my second day stopping point?

Thanks for sharing your trip.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
at times you may have to travel something like 30+ miles for gas. If you want to do a fun 15 mile?? loop that is not part of the parkway, take route NC 226 south near mm 330. follow to the bottom and then turn right onto NC 226a back up to the parkway.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Great suggestions. I am staying off MP 199 now and wuill try the sandwich. Also, I will need to check gas somewhere around MP 330 and will take the side route.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Due to an unexpected medical situation with my youngest daughter, my trip has been postponed. I just need a 4 day window to make it happen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Skyline Drive is BEAUTIFUL. This is a great time of the year as the leaves are turning color and tourists will be at a minimum. Your postponement may be a benefit to you as one of the best times to go is mid October, which should be the height of the foliage change. I hope your daughter is well and that you get to go ride soon.

Keep the rubber side down!

Morris

·
Registered
515 Posts
I live about 45 minutes from the BRP and am up there a lot.
Anyone who is in the area should PM me and I will try and meet up with them.
There are sooo many great roads around here and so many great places to see, not to mention the food and hospitality.
Ya'll come back ya hear !

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was able to make the trip on starting last Thursday. The four day trip started in Cincinnati to Strasburg VA via US 50 to Mt. Storm WV 42/HWY 58E into Strasburg VA. I never knew eastern WV was this majestic, had this many Pilgram chicken farms or the amount of money spend on roadways in this remote part of the country. Nevertheless, on Friday, I started off around 8am and drove to Front Royal VA and began Skyline Drive with virturally no one on the road. As the day went on I traveled on the Blue Ridge Parkway and still very few people were on the road. I stayed off MP 199 on Friday night and started early Saturday. The day was stunning until I reached Mt. Mitchell and the rain and cold front hit on my way to Gatlinburg.

On Sunday, I left later in the morning to let pass a storm front. I drove US 25E through the Cumberland Gap, then connected the Wilderness Road. I reconnected on US 25 merging on KY 627 past Boonesborough and my final leg connected US 27 till the I 275 Beltway home.

Certainly this was a bucket list item i had wanted to do since I was a wee lad and my grandparents took me over 35 yrs ago via car.

Anyone know how many turns are on this wonderful strech of road? I know the Tail of the Dragon has 318 in 11 miles.
One fact, as I had over 5,500 miles on my rear tire and was developing an annoying flat spot, after this drive of 1,462 miles twisting and turning my rear tire is perfectly rounded again.

I highly recommend this route to anyone from OH/IN. Be prepared for all kinds of weather this time of year, just in case.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Glad you enjoyed you trip through this part of the world.
The weather as you discovered can be fickle up on the BRP at any time of the year.
Those of us who live here have learned the hard way to take a rain suit at a minimum when we ride it :thumbup:

Next time you head this way give me a heads up and i will put you on some really good roads :lol:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Since this posting I have been requested to make the Northern US loop or the Trans American Trail. Any words of wisdom or am I going north to Seattle WA?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Since this posting I have been requested to make the Northern US loop or the Trans American Trail. Any words of wisdom or am I going north to Seattle WA?
May the Burg be with you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts