Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year a law was passed in Nevada to allow the addition of a "blue dot" to each red brake tail light.
I can get them for $5 each at jc Whitney.
I was wondering if anyone has had blue dots on a vehicle. I want every possible advantage to be seen.
-Bryan

Blue Dot Conversion on jcwhitney.com

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have never had a "blue dot" taillight, but have seen them in use. They are somewhat distinctive, particularly at night. Not that one sees the light from further away, but the resulting reddish-purple color can catch one's attention as unusual. This may be an advantage, but may not matter, really depends on the person seeing it. Also, most people I know don't associate the color specifically with motorcycles, so again, I'm not sure their is an advantage.

One last note, "blue dot" taillights are NOT legal in all 50 states. If you convert your bike and end up driving in a state where it is not legal, you may be pulled over and ticketed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have them in my Harley taillight (available commercially) and also installed them in my Honda Ascot taillight. Look good but are ILLEGAL here in NY. To install them in Ascot I used a wood boring bit on very slow speed and cut thru the plastic, did a neat job you just have to be careful. This is also the way I drilled the holes in the tailpiece for the backrest on the Burg.

·
Registered
48 Posts
if you are going to buy blue dots only buy glass ones as the plastic ones do not have as clear optrics and do not turn the light as purple as the glass ones

·
Registered
319 Posts
Cops used to love them when I was a kid, if the car they were after had them, they had no trouble following them until they could be pulled over.
Most of us stayed away from them for that reason. :roll:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had them on several used bikes where they came on the bike when purchased. They are usually one of the first things that I replace, they look cool but are not recognized as legal by all cops in all areas. For me they are not worth the extra agervation of being stopped by some new cop that has a dislike for bikers and doesen't know the full extent of the law. The ones with the glass lense are best, not sure if legal in Fl or surrounding area..........

·
Registered
257 Posts
blue dots

Back in 1985, I was restoring a 63 corvette. One of the guys that worked for me ordered a set of "blue dots" for the Vette. I never put them on but still have the box with instructions. (20 years old)
Question: The chrome bezels that hold the lense requires that you drill a 15\16ths (.9375) hole in the tail light lens. Anyone have an idea on what kind of drill and how to do this without destroying the lens?
I have a blue '05 burgie and I think it would look great with the blue dots.
Should I just epoxy the blue dots and forget about the bezels?

Thanks
Jim Ceriale

1 - 7 of 7 Posts