Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PREVIEW
Default Blue Clutch Bell & grooves in variator
Sorry- yet ANOTHER post about the dreaded clutch. I did use the search tool- but posting new pics on years old threads about other peoples clutches didn't seem the way to go- if a mod disagrees please accept my apology and relocate.

That all said- I've approx 15k on the bike- got it with 10. No idea what "new" feels like on an '08. I do have the 5 pad clutch- and I got a sweet deal for an OEM new 5pad clutch and bell. Clutch pad wear on the existing looks approx 50% using a mirror- my 1st problem is using an impact wrench I can't get either the variator OR clutch nuts off! I'm using a homemade holder tool which seems to effectively hold the bell in place solid- and yet no dice- any tips would be appreciated. I pulsed the reverse direction (counter clockwise) trigger about 4 times with no budge (even after using a bit of liquid wrench) but after a couple more tugs I figured I should stop and ask for help.

Holding the variator is not possible with the tool I have- but I heard the impact wrench should be enough to do the job without and yet- no.

I also noticed grooves in both sides of the variator. kinda deep (more than what I'd expect... I'll post better pics once I get this thing removed- but should I be worried about this? I've read elsewhere some of this is normal- but what does "normal" look like?

4 pics- one to show everything (by the way no belt dust at all! Strange?) 1 of the bell vs. my new one. 1 of the grooves in the rear variator, and 1 (hard to see) of the rear of the front variator to show there's a goove there too. These are not just dark marks- I can feel them when I run my finger along them.

Thanks for the help. At this rate- I may have to take my Morphous to Death Valley in 2 weeks instead.
:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
How many miles do you have? Check the groove on the Variator face with a straight edge to get a batter idea of how much wear there is. I turned 2 clutch bells Blue in short order, I wound up buying a Polini speed bel http://www.spi-parts.com/polini-clutch-bell-suzuki-burgman-400-k7.html and making some minor airflow modifications to the CVT's plastic housing to help with the airflow. My 400 was a K8 not to sure what year yours is but Suzuki recognized that there wasn't enough airflow going through the CVT and introduced improvements on the K9 + models by adding ducting to the intake of the CVT.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just looking at your variator, it looks better than mine. Mine is also an '08. I have 13,900
miles on mine. I'm not sure if it's dangerous or not, but I don't think it is. Maybe someone with more experience than I will chime in.
I think what the grooves do is make it feel like it's down shifting when slowing. Mine does that. I'll be watching this thread for info!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
First of all it's good that you stopped for break.

Impact wrench you are using is apparently not strong enough. Would suggest borrowing a larger one or torque converter, but in any case not using it to tight the nut back. The simplest variator holder can be made in half an hour or you can use the smaller impact wrench you have if yr proficient with it.

Grooved parts surely better to replace, not too much money. Longer trips not recommended although doable.

OEM clutch is OK as far as you service it every 1.5-3K miles depending on type of riding.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
That all said- I've approx 15k on the bike- got it with 10. No idea what "new" feels like on an '08:
BrandonC, You've ridden my stock 07 with the 08 clutch, the '08 shouldn't be much different.

So far as the loosening the bolt, why not try a breaker bar, just to loosen it up. I've got one if you'd like to try it: half inch drive, so its a big one. How does the old mechanic's rule go? If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm using the standard issue Harbor Freight $50 electric torque wrench- worked fine for so many other applications- 1/2" drive and using the black (vanadium?) 24mm deep socket directly on the drill, with a homemade variator tool to hold the bell in place - which seems to be doing the trick.

Just to confirm- the nut for the clutch bell AND variator rotate counter clockwise so I should be using the reverse motion trigger?

Want to confirm I'm not trying to tighten the dang thing...

ALSO is there a better service manual than the OEM? Something written for people NOT familiar with scooters and with more pictures? Digital is ok vs. printed.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I'm sure the belt has never been replaced- for a 2008 bike- should I just do it regardless? I don't see ANY signs of wear and would hate to just spend money on swapping parts prematurely- but I also don't want to be adding undue stress to the drive parts.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If your undoing the bell nut and not the variator impeller one it's all right to use the breaker bar. Mine was also very hard to remove. I even lifted the scoot several times. Wanted to ask somebody to sit on back seat even, but managed to unscrew it in the end.

Both threadings are regular -- clockwise to clasp, counter - to loose.

As far as i can see the belt is OK.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I replaced my last belt at 18k and it looked fine. I didn't measure it, but even the dealer said it had a few miles on it. I don't think 20k is too much to ask from a belt. Up to you if you want to replace.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that's exactly why I stopped- after the drill didn't work I tried a ratchet and lifted the rear! Off the center stand a bit. Figured I must have been doing something wrong.

Thanks for confirming the direction of the nuts- will try more liquid wrench and patience.

Is there somewhere I can find an easy pic of what bearings & other parts need to be lubed with heavy grease before I put it all back together? Mitch's video didn't say much.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Mitch tries to be very informative, maybe you didn't watch the right video.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Brandon, when you take off the clutch assembly, you'll see what needs grease. It's not rocket surgery. Just don't put grease anywhere it can sling out and lubricate your belt!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have recently checked my clutch and variator taking both nuts off with ease after blue torching them. Not for too long but just enough to help loosen the nuts.
Front pulley plate also has a dent so have replaced it. The variator spacer looks as though it has rust so i sanded with minimal grit paper to clean it up. Scoots done 70,000km
and began slipping gear, so i replaced dpr 19g new belt and new variator pulley plate.
Yet to put together but hope she runs well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts