Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can buy those black plastic fasteners that hold all the tupperware together? I need to order a gross. Doing the 600 mile maintenance on my 650 and my sons, we broke at least 4. You push in the center pin and it pops out a bit, but you still have to pry it out with a blade screwdriver or something and the lip around the top just breakes off easy as pie. Maybe I just have a heavy hand.

Where do I stock up on these?

Buzz

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
You do have a heavy hand. I've just used my fingernails and they all come out clean. Make sure you're not pushing the center pin in TOO far or it will swell out the fastener again.

I saw some of various sizes at an auto parts store. If you have some locally try there first.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've found them online - but everywhere I've found them wants you to buy 10,000 or so... :(

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
That's a lot of rivets!!
Any recollection of how much the 10K units cost?

·
Registered
611 Posts
It was a couple of grand. I found places online that listed prices of $.23 each and such - but you have to call them - and they didn't actually carry them (they didn't even know why they were on their website). Others were actually overseas (China) - and they don't sell direct.

One place I didn't look (until now) was the Ron Ayers online catalog.

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/getdesc.cfm?man=su

They have them for $.90 each. I think I paid $1.30 each from Suzuki, so getting the same part as Suzuki for less sounds good...

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Buzz said:
Does anyone know where I can buy those black plastic fasteners that hold all the tupperware together? I need to order a gross. Doing the 600 mile maintenance on my 650 and my sons, we broke at least 4.
snip
Buzz
Finally, someone like me !!

Hey Buzz - when you finish working on the scoot, do you have lot's of bolts and nuts left over ? I put mine in a coffee can every time I work on the bike. I think I have about 1000 by now! LOL

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Well if 100 people each agreed to buy 100 rivets, someone could pony up for the 10,000 unit order. You'd spend under $25 each, and would get a lifetime supply.
You'd get less than a couple dozen from the dealer for the same price.
Coordinating such an endeavor would be a logistic nightmare, though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JerseyBiker, My son and I each have less than 1,000 miles on our 650's so we have just done the 600 mile service. Not too many left over parts yet. By the time we each do all the services up to 50,000 miles, we will probably have enough over to build another scoot. I'll make you a fair price on it.

Buzz

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
4DThinker said:
You do have a heavy hand. I've just used my fingernails and they all come out clean. Make sure you're not pushing the center pin in TOO far or it will swell out the fastener again.
I didn't realize until I'd done a couple of them that you just push ever-so-slightly until it pops down about 1/8" (~3mm). Beyond that, as 4D says, it expands those fingers again.

You can also push the center pin all the way through. The downside of that is that you have to look for where the pin fell through on the other side -- on the floor or hung up in the scooter somewhere. But if you've pushed the pin too far to where you can't pull the whole fastener out fairly easily, push the pin all the way through, then pull out the cap and look around for where the pin went.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I believe i saw them in Lowe's. I'll have to re-check but I'm almost positive I saw various sizes (SOMEWHERE) recently and for real cheap too!

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Sounds like Lowe's is going to have to start a scooter parts isle. Too bad we don't have one around here. Lot's of rumor's though of them looking at possible sites.

I haven't had a problem with my fasteners. My biggest fear is losing one, as I don't have a way to replace them quick.

I've found two sizes so far. Does anyone know if there are standard sizes to them and what they are?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Buzz said:
... Doing the 600 mile maintenance on my 650 and my sons...
Your sons need to be serviced at 600 miles? I'd let a doctor handle that! :p

·
Registered
193 Posts
Buzz,
I finally came to grips with those "Little Black Devils" by making a simple tool:
Use a machine screw or small bolt that is just slightly smaller in diameter than the center pin of the "Little Black Devil" and two nuts. Adjust one of the nuts so that the screw/bolt protrudes just enough (but not too much) to just release the pin, but not push it so far as to again cause expansion of the rivet body. Use the second nut as a lock nut to preserve the correct setting.
To my knowledge there are only two sizes of rivets and you may want to make two tools and keep them in your road tool kit.
Anyway, this simple device has eliminated my aggravation with the "Little Black *#@%". :twisted:
GinDrinker
:D

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Don't know if they fit but the new JC Whitney list Plastic Rivets for the Honda Gold Wing..
Sure do look the same! :D
Any GW riders out there know what rivets are used on the fairing ?

·
Registered
235 Posts
In desperation, two weeks ago I paid $2.00 each for two of those little black connector plug thingies at a local dealer. I had accidentally stepped on one of the two that hold on the little plastic trip piece behind the 400's rear seat (are a smaller size than used elsewhere) and took the other one and put it in my pants pocket so that when I went to the dealership the next morning I would know exactly what to get.

Well, don't you know, those pants got put in the washer immediately without my having take the plastic thingie out of my pocket and sadly it ended up in that magical place where lost socks and countless pocket change end up.

So then I was out TWO of them... $4.00 for a dumb sh*t tax... :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts