Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have neglected the Lardy in recent months, including not bothering to clean off a 3 inch blob of bird poop on the passenger seat from a while ago. Finally got around to washing and waxing her but the uric acid seems to have some staying power.
I have scrubbed it with a nylon brush and car wash soap. I then attempted Plexus, to no avail.

I am wondering what other cleaners are safe to use on the material? Keep in mind I have the Exec model with the rough shark-skin looking texture.

As an aside, I have found that there isn't a better way to fall back in love with your motorcycle than to give it a wash and wax. Of course, the same holds true for a woman...

·
Registered
735 Posts
I don't know, removing all her tupperware works better for me.

I had some kind of stain on my K4's seat, think it was tree pitch. Isopropyl alcohol worked on that, but it sounds like your vinyl has absorbed some of the bird poo.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll try the alcohol.

I have used gel Armorall on all of my bike's black "interior" without any ill effect.

·
Registered
426 Posts
There's an awesome product available here in mainland China named "Magic Amah" whcih contains a concentrated orange 'oil', which claims to be biodegradable and non-toxic. I use the stuff for cleaning all kinds of things and it works wonders. Cleans pretty much everything that I've applied it to, from use in the kitchen, the deposits on the shower stall glass panels, stubborn stains that prove highly resistant to removal by other products or means, and more.

I'm sure there would be similar products available as I recall there was such a product based on "orange concentrate" being marketed in NZ and OZ, though the name escapes me at the moment.

Here's a similar product offered in the UK
www.shishashop.co.uk/Magic-Orange-Cleaner-100ml

Similar products in the USA
www.biggreensmile.com/products/eart...rangecon500ml.aspx?productid=eforangecon500ml

www.tkoorange.com

www.ecos.com/orange.html

Bound to be something similar in your local convenience store or supermarket.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have neglected the Lardy in recent months, including not bothering to clean off a 3 inch blob of bird poop on the passenger seat from a while ago. Finally got around to washing and waxing her but the uric acid seems to have some staying power.
I have scrubbed it with a nylon brush and car wash soap. I then attempted Plexus, to no avail.

I am wondering what other cleaners are safe to use on the material? Keep in mind I have the Exec model with the rough shark-skin looking texture.

As an aside, I have found that there isn't a better way to fall back in love with your motorcycle than to give it a wash and wax. Of course, the same holds true for a woman...
You might want to try something that most people have at home and forget just how useful it is - HYDROGEN PEROXIDE

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sadly,I must admit to taking blood-thinners & I eventually blood-stain almost every thing I touch . I found a stain remover on line & at Wal Mart called "ZOUT" that removes my particular protein based stain frm any thing I've got it on & hasn't damaged anything I've used it on. Wouldn't your particular stain be of a similar type base,due to the source? Maybe it would work! The Don

·
Registered
590 Posts
If the bird poop has been there for a while, interaction between to poop and seat material may have left a permanent discoloration rather than a stain.
Bird poop, especially seagull, can even mar a perfectly good paint finish if left over time.

If that's the case, a quick fix is to dab with a black magic marker, or use plastic or leather dye.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

Well after looking at the replies to your question......My suggestion is to collect enought bird poop to spread over your whole seat and let it sit for a few months........ then wash it..your whole seat will now look the same.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
go to Autozone and get a can of Vinyl Dye. Not sure how many years it will last, but a gentle coat will cure it in seconds.

I also recommend one of my rain covers for the seat to prevent that bird residue.

·
Premium Member
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Using the suggestions on this thread, I used H202, isopropyl alcohol, and Goo-Gone, to no avail.

After using those, then giving up and applying my usual Armor-All gel to the seat, it's not really noticeable. However, the bike is 6 yrs old, 24K miles and has only minor flaws in the finish. This particular stain really stands out to me.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I agree with Cary on this. If it is still discolored and is bugging you, get some vinyl dye and dye your seat cover. Then get a seat cover. He has one you can buy but you can use one from a different source if for some reason you don't want to buy from him (I don't know of any reason, but wanted to offer alternatives). Or even better, Cary sells seats that are rumored (I don't have one. Yet...) to be among the best you can buy for the Burgman. You will get a new seat cover when you have a seat redone by him.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would come up with a great story and ride with it as a badge of honor. "She was so turned on that.......of course I asked her to sign it with a Sharpie! See the story solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've gotta admit that's an intriguing way to solve the problem, Quail!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quail, I don't think anyone here with a wife had better offer that story to explain a stain on our seats. You single guys (or gals for that matter) are free to do as you wish.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would try hairspray first (works great on pitch) then wash with soap and water. If that isn't enough, try WD-40. I wouldn't leave it on the driver's seat, too slippery. But it might be OK on the passenger seat, it depends on how much you use it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you have a boat dealership or a west marine nearby i would suggest 303 Fabric/Vinyl cleaner followed by 303 aerospace protectant. I had never heard of the stuff but it was suggested to me for cleaning up some really badly stained boat vinyl. It worked so well that I use it on my cars now. Really keeps everything clean and the protectant doens't leave a greasy film.

The cleaner:
Details

This product contains no soaps, detergents or solvents. 303 Fabric and Vinyl Cleaner is your BEST choice for cleaning indoor and outdoor fabrics, upholstery, carpeting and vinyl. Non-toxic, biodegradable and rinses residue free.

Quickly and safely removes even the most stubborn stains:

303 Products - the Finest in UV Protection and Fabric Guard - Automotive Care Products
- Oil
- Grease
- Ink
- Berry Juice - Coffee
- Tea
- Wine
- Blood

The Protectant:
Description

Originally engineered for aerospace and aviation applications, 303® Aerospace Protectant™ is a premium surface treatment that provides superior protection against harmful UV rays that cause discoloration, fading, embrittlement, cracking, chalking and/or loss of mechanical properties.

Key Benefits

Keeps treated surfaces looking new
Prevents fading and cracking
Restores lost color and luster
Powerful UV blockers
Anti-Static, repels smudges, dust, soiling and staining
Matte finish with no oily and greasy residue
Easy to use, simply spray on and wipe dry
Recommended Applications

Safe and effective on vinyl, clear vinyl, gel-coat, fiberglass, carbon fiber, synthetic/natural rubber, plastics and finished leather. Good for use on: dashboards, automotive leathers, black plastic fenders, plexiglass, vinyl decals, door & trunk seals, vinyl convertible tops, boats & RV seats, Tonneau covers, Dacron sails, inflatable boats, spa covers, and much,

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
park the bike under a tree full birds, and let them do their thing, when it is still fresh use it to clean the old one. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I find that Johnson & Johnson Scrubbing Bubbles to work when all else fails. You will thank me for the recommendation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts