Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a scooter, because I have a bad back. So at 60 I've quit off road adventure tours. Sold the Vstrom no more FSR MOHAB Backcountry rides. I hoping the riding position and some seat fixes on the Burgman 650an. should help me to ride a few more years and still do some on road touring

The same issues prevent me from getting down on the ground to do oil changes and general easy maintence without suffering for 2 days. What can I say old man time is catching up to me. lol

So I'd like a resource that gives my the authorized shop time for work.. Billable hours per job, difference shops have different rates but I liked to know how long it should take according to Suzuki so I don't get ripped off.

Anybody got the book or website for 2005 650an ?

What does the shop charge time wise I figure maybe .75 to 1.25 hrs for all 3 oils and CVT filter.
I can find the parts costs but labor time is the?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a scooter, because I have a bad back. So at 60 I've quit off road adventure tours. Sold the Vstrom no more FSR MOHAB Backcountry rides. I hoping the riding position and some seat fixes on the Burgman 650an. should help me to ride a few more years and still do some on road touring

The same issues prevent me from getting down on the ground to do oil changes and general easy maintence without suffering for 2 days. What can I say old man time is catching up to me. lol

So I'd like a resource that gives my the authorized shop time for work.. Billable hours per job, difference shops have different rates but I liked to know how long it should take according to Suzuki so I don't get ripped off.

Anybody got the book or website for 2005 650an ?

What does the shop charge time wise I figure maybe .75 to 1.25 hrs for all 3 oils and CVT filter.
I can find the parts costs but labor time is the?
Having a labor and time guides database costs about 200.00 bucks a year. Way more than I am willing to pay. Also most shops charge lesser per hour maintenance items. Maybe just pick your options for local service, call them, ask labor rate per hour. Do they have a tech familiar with Burgmans? Ask about their pricing oil change, tire labor on drive in. Annual fluids change trans, drive oil, brake fluid. Tell who you call that your looking for a home to service you bikes needs. A labor and time guide no matter whose is just a guide, a non enforceable guide. Then you have shop supplies, disposal fees, covid 19 sanitation fees, Barber now charges an extra $3.95 for that. The labor and time guides. The official labor and time from Suzuki is only for times related to warranty and are notoriously low. They won't normally grab the computer's database until you have a problem with the scooter that's had a proper diagnosis. That's the only time when times X labor rates are used. Not saying your quest is unobtainable on line, just pretty close. Even if you found a disk, they usually encrypted and require a dongle. As far as parts go expect to pay a retail price. It's acceptable in most places to bring your own oil.Don't ever use a Car oil in your bike, no ZZDPA. bit wordy, I hope to save you some time and money.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..I called a local Suzuki dealer..The guy told me he's only done oil changes on a few and there was always something extra wrong..Said he'd need a couple hours at $108 per for all 3 oils and CVT filter plus parts... maybe less if I wait till after labor day.. Didn't leave me feeling very confident..
I will continue to look for somebody who know Burgmans.. and hope the last guy didn't overtighten ****.

·
Administrator
18,401 Posts
If the border was open.... 280 km's south of you.

Reactions: Uncle Fester

·
Premium Member
8,179 Posts
I dunno your situation, location etc, but a shop manual and some tools, may save you a bunch of money and help a kid. If you have a neighbor or relative with a under 18, or 16, (not legally employable with child labor laws) talk to the parents ,and do some training, supervise the apprentice grease monkey with the manual in your hand, and let them turn the wrenches, at ten dollars an hour, and a minimum 30 dollars, they will be thrilled, you will save a pile, and you will have the assurance of a job done correctly. The apprentice will benefit from self confidence as well. Don't discount the "weaker sex" in your search, My current mechanic at the honda shop is a mom, and 2 of my apprentices here have been girls. As always, make sure your work area is very visible and invite the apprentices parents over for a soft drink and assisting in the supervising, with ventilation and social distancing this can still be done .

·
Registered
27 Posts
I dunno your situation, location etc, but a shop manual and some tools, may save you a bunch of money and help a kid. If you have a neighbor or relative with a under 18, or 16, (not legally employable with child labor laws) talk to the parents ,and do some training, supervise the apprentice grease monkey with the manual in your hand, and let them turn the wrenches, at ten dollars an hour, and a minimum 30 dollars, they will be thrilled, you will save a pile, and you will have the assurance of a job done correctly. The apprentice will benefit from self confidence as well. Don't discount the "weaker sex" in your search, My current mechanic at the honda shop is a mom, and 2 of my apprentices here have been girls. As always, make sure your work area is very visible and invite the apprentices parents over for a soft drink and assisting in the supervising, with ventilation and social distancing this can still be done .
Thumbs up on this one, what an excellent idea. I have been blessed over the years by caring people who Mentor. This Mikey Marine is the most heartfelt thing I have read since I have joined this forum. Nice Share, Bravo!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Just make sure you have them close the bolts without cross threading or over torque-ing.

Having had much experience with garages over many years (almost all bad) they usually set. Price for a job that includes labor. But maybe the us is different

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just make sure you have them close the bolts without cross threading or over torque-ing.

Having had much experience with garages over many years (almost all bad) they usually set. Price for a job that includes labor. But maybe the us is different
It's not different, at least in Michigan. Any repair over 20.00 the customer is entitled to receive a written estimate. That estimate is not required to add tax, so looking is a good idea.estimate is required to list operational hours and labor rate per hour. Shop supply, disposal fees. Almost all shops now use digital billing and shop times. Not a book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts