Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, We just got back from BikeOctoberfest at Daytona and looked at Silver Wings and Burgman 650 for my wife, Angel. She is a new rider and has been riding a Honda Shadow 600 for about 6 weeks. We are planning on an extended tour of the USA and Canada next year and wanted something more comfortable for her to ride. (She enjoys riding so much that she doesn't want to ride 2up with me on the Wing LOL) So, we took the plung today and bought her a silver Burgman 650. The Burgman looks like it has some advantages over the Silver Wing and the biggest selling point was that our local dealer had the bike in stock and we would have waited until Feb or March for the Honda.

We are both 66 years old and are also serious bicycleist. We ride Easy Racer Gold Rushes Recumbent Bicycles. This spring (from Aripl to mid June) we rode from Bradenton to Coffeeville, Kansas pulling small bicycle trailers. We did okay until we hit the hills of East Texas. As we were struggling up hills at 4mph and being passed by motorcylces, I came to the concusion that we were on the wrong type 2-wheel vechicles. We really enjoyed the touring but it was too much on human powered bikes so we both took the MSF course and started our Motorcycle experience.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hey welcome to the Powered 2 Wheel group and congrats on your new Burgy. I bet once you get it your wife will be the one complaining that your allways riding her bike.
I love my Burgy and have riden it 4 hours 1 time with no fatigue whatsoever. I'm sure your wife will love it.
If you do make it up to Canada (Toronto Area) drop me a line. I'm a camper myself and can reccommend some nice parks.

·
Registered
793 Posts
"Bill Trammell":....I came to the concusion that we were on the wrong type 2-wheel vechicles...

The kind of stamina required for motorcycling is best derived from excercise. Riding a bent or any human powered machine is mental, cardiovascular and musclular. You're less sore-saddled on a motorcycle if you've been working out before hand. You'll also be more alert and warm in winter. Keep those bents!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi AJ,

We agree with you about the benefits of riding bicycles. We are trying to balance the bicycle v. motorcycle time. The Burgy time has been winning the last couple of weeks as we are trying to get it broken in and the first service behind us. We are going to the Florida Keys for a motorcycle/camping trip next week. Isn’t Arizona & Florida great in the Winter Time! We are planning on an all summer camping tour of the USA and maybe Canada next year. I am planning on attaching fork quick releases to the top of the trailer so we can take our bicycles with us.

Ride Safe. 8)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Bill,

Are you going to attach the trailer to the Wing?

I went to their website and they don't list the weight of the trailer.
http://www.rollahome.com/specs.htm

We don't know anyone yet that has attached a trailer to a Burgy.

---

Before you schedule your first service, I suggest looking at the shop manual, especially the Perodic Service section. The table (2-2) that includes the 600mi. service is more detailed in the shop manual.
Being charged $200 for having only the oil changed and tires checked is not want you want.
A few of us have posted our First Service Shop Of Horrors in the Welcome Who Are You section of this site.
I was literally shown the door after I discovered a loose drain bolt on my bike after my 1st service here in the wild west.

I explained to Suzuki, in Brea that if I had bought a decked out $3,000 computer I would have had excellent support, but my $8,000 AN650 has only 3 places in this county to go to, of which maybe 1 guy has read the book so far. They felt for me.
I now do any and all service myself, except changing tires.

Spoke to Cycle Gear here in Tucson and they said that when I'm ready to get the tires changed they can change the valve stems to 45 degree versions that helps getting them filled with any pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts