Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode the Burgman to our local Mickey D's yesterday (free small coffee coupon- yea!) and a few retirees and I started talking about motorcycles and scooters and who had what when and so forth. Sure seems to be something to tug at heartstrings when us "older gents" start talking about our two wheelers in days gone by. Some we like, some we loved, some we couldn't wait to get rid of. But always, always bikes that we wish that we still had.

Just wondered what bike(s) you have sold or traded off over the years that you would love to have back now. I know that I sure could think of a few. Man- where do I start? Hodaka Ace 90, Ducati 250, Yamaha RD400, Suzuki GT750....... sure would be a long list.

OK- fess up guys. What did you get rid of that you kick yourself now for?

·
Registered
276 Posts
My 09 ABS V-Strom that I spent four years setting up just right for me. Serious mistake. I once sold an 04 BMW R1150R, then bought it back a year later with only 200 more miles on it. Sold it again and almost bought it back again. I sort of wish I had.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Old bike rides no, old car rides yes. 67 Mustang Fastback & 70 Datsun 240Z both bought new. ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have fond memories of every bike I owned. I have some small regret for each of them, though there was always a reason at the time.

I think I regret most having sold my 1982 Honda CX500T about a decade ago, the first factory turbo charged motorcycle. Some other earlier bike had dealer or distributor-installed turbos.

It was a unique machine, getting me into both the vintage Japanese and turbo bike owners clubs at the same time. The styling was very 80's and it was not easy to ride well, especially compared to the non-turbo CX500 I also owned. The CG felt much higher, along with the foot pegs, and the throttle response was "twist grip, wait a second or two, go-go-go."

It is rare enough, 1982-only, that most Honda dealers today do not even have the service manual. It was so far out of print that I managed to get permission from Honda to buy a photocopy of another owner's shop manual.

·
Registered
145 Posts
1977 R100RS BMW

I owned it when I met my wife to be and I have gone downhill ever since. 27 years later, I still have my wife and I drive a scooter.

Now, I like the scooter, but I think I will look at ebay and see if there are any deals

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
My beloved 305 Hawk

as much as I rode my RD400 the Hawk still holds THE special place.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
leDude that is a SWEET ride.....never heard of it. Knew about the CX but not that.

·
Registered
352 Posts
1977 R100RS BMW

I owned it when I met my wife to be and I have gone downhill ever since. 27 years later, I still have my wife and I drive a scooter.

Now, I like the scooter, but I think I will look at ebay and see if there are any deals
You're still talking about the bike... right? :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Theres only one, 1972 R75/5 BMW, 3 mods, an EZ-Burg seat, frame mount Windjammer fairing and a wonderful Kraco AM FM casset player. I put 163,000 miles on it. The friend I sold it to 34 years ago still rides it today and has no interest in selling it back to me:(

·
Registered
345 Posts
I owned these two bikes back in the mid 80's. I bought the tri-color CB1100F new in '83 for $3500. Kept it for 12 yrs, put 73k miles on it. I bought the '85 VF750F used in '89 for $1800 for my g/f (now wife) as her graduation present. We stopped riding m/c and sold them in the mid 90s to focus on career and raising children.

·
Registered
132 Posts

I bought a bike in the same color new . It was a lot of fun Back in the ole two stroke days :cool:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That was the color of my first RD400 as well. Later came a red, a green (my color fave) and then later on a '79 Daytona Special which like all of them were white.

I was around 80 lbs lighter back on those days and man oh man could I ever embarrass some of the boys on the bigger bikes with those machines! Put me in the twisties and I would be gone gone gone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That was the color of my first RD400 as well. Later came a red, a green (my color fave) and then later on a '79 Daytona Special which like all of them were white.

I was around 80 lbs lighter back on those days and man oh man could I ever embarrass some of the boys on the bigger bikes with those machines! Put me in the twisties and I would be gone gone gone.

Lol yes sir that Daytona was a sharp Bike .

My Buddy had the 1975 CB400 4 four stroke .

I would leave him and walk 1st four gears from him at light all the time :cool:

He ate a lot of smoke :p

Yes we had hair and a lot less weight on us in those days

·
Registered
573 Posts
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650 Trophy Sport Limited Edition. Paint scheme was two tone Metalic Blue and Metalic silver. Traded it in on a Candy Apple Red 1975 Norton 850 Commando. I was young and wanted "bigger, faster and better!"

·
Registered
197 Posts
My beloved 305 Hawk

as much as I rode my RD400 the Hawk still holds THE special place.

MacDoc - I had this same bike in all white - beautiful, just beautiful ... sigh!
After my Vespa 150 I bought a 1965 (I think) white 305 Superhawk. Then a Yamaha XS650, and then a 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 (kept spitting me off the back!). Actually, I wish I could have kept them all - they each became a piece of me.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
'69 Norton 750 Commando--traded it in on a '74 XLCH (1200 cc Sportster), worst bike I ever owned; had for 6 months and bought a '74 750 Honda.
'68 FLH--"my baby" absolutely mint; sold it to get cash to buy my house from my ex-wife.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I had a 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 that I wish I still had. She was a great bike, but she fell into disrepair after many miles of use and I didn't have the money to restore her. Still don't, come to think of it. Beautiful design, solid engineering, and wonderful memories!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts