Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 650 Burgman, the battery went dead, I bought a new one and had it fully charged. But the bike won't start.

All the lights are bright, checked all the fuses, the starter relay clicks once when I hit the starter. But that's all it does.
The kickstand is up and the switch works because the relay will not click when the kickstand is down.

Kill switch is off.

I do have 73k on the bike and besides regular maintenance, brake pads and tires nothing has gone wrong before.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm like 150 miles from the nearest dealer. Before I start replacing things, thought y'all might have some suggestions

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Have you checked voltage across the poles ? Here is a good video on how to and what your voltage should be at a stages of operation .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
If you are pulling just one brake lever try pulling the other one. The micro switch in the brake lever might be bad.

I don't really think that is your problem though because you said the relay clicked and it should not do that if you just have a problem with one of the interlocks.

I assume you have checked all the wires on the battery to make sure they are tight. This would include the two small wires plugged into the back of the starter relay. In case you don't know the relay is that small box mounted on the battery cover. The heavy red wires bolted to it carry current to the starter. The two small wires plugged into the back of it bring current from the starter button to energize it.

If all else seems good it is possible you might have a bad starter relay. Take a heavy screwdriver and short across the two poles on the relay and see if the starter cranks (bike on centerstand for this please).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would try pulling the other break lever, that switch on the break leavers are often the cause of that type of trouble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback! The center stand switch is okay. All the wires seem tight and good. The voltage on the battery is the same as the voltage from the two wires on top of the starter relay. I tried to short the wires on relay, with the key off and on, nothing happened. I did try the other brake lever and nothing. I loosened the screws and blew some compressed air into the starter switch just in case something had lodged in there, but to no avail. The lights do go off when I press the starter switch like its supposed to, but won't start. I suppose the starter relay would be the first item to replace.
Saw one on eBay for $29. Any other places to look? Thanks for y'all's input!!

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
If you shorted across the two large red wires on the relay then you were supplying current directly to the starter and bypassing the relay all together. You were also bypassing all the interlocks like the sides stand, brake switches and the kill switch. If the starter were going to work it should have then. My guess is that you have a bad starter.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
There is an outside chance that the starter is just locked up. You can see it by removing the maintenance access cover. It's right on the top of the engine. You might try tapping on it and seeing if it frees up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I had the NEW battery fully charged five days ago. I banged on the starter as suggested an it turned over VERY sluggishly. I tried to jump it off my car, but it still just turned over sluggishly, not enough to start it. Nothing was done to the electronics that would drain the battery like that. Even more mystified now!!!
Why can't stuff just work!?!?!? Closer to a solution, but no cigar yet.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Looks like it's time to change out the starter. Good news is that is a very simple thing to do. Just unhook the wires, take out two screws and lift it out. Bad news is that you are going to have to remove some body work first. The front and lower leg shields, front box and floor boards are going to have to come off.

One thing you might want to do before you buy a new starter is turn the engine over by hand to make sure there isn't some kind of internal engine issue. Once you get the floor boards off there is a plug on the right side of the engine. It is about an inch and a half in diameter and you use a large allen wrench to screw it out. Behind it is a bolt that is screwed into the end of the crankshaft. You can use a wrench on that bolt to turn the engine over by hand and determine if it is spinning freely. Be sure to turn it clockwise. The engine should turn fairly easily until it comes up on the compression stroke. If you remove the spark plugs it should turn easily through the full cycle.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Of course it could be possible that you just have a loose wire down at the starter. The heavy red wire from the relay goes down to the starter. The heavy black negative wire from the battery goes down to a bolt into the crankcase just behind the starter. If either of those is loose or damaged that could be the source of your problem.

Edited to add: you are going to have to get the floorboards off to check out those connections.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It should be mandatory to still have kick starters on bikes'
Yes, providing you remember. I once had a Honda CB360 with a flat battery. I pushed it about half a mile looking for a hill before I realised it had a kickstart! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Success!!! It was the starter! Thanks to everyone for the advice and to The Reaper for parts! Ride on!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts