Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Sturgis and other big rallies, how are Burgman and other Maxi Scooters viewed. I am considering going to one in the future but don't want to be a total outcast. Has anyone taken their Maxi to an event?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Scootercade was great! But we did have a few spouses who rode non-scooters. We didn't make them feel like outcasts though.

I think at some of the big motorcycle rallys, like Americade, and the Honda Hoot, you'd be fine on a Super scooter. Sturgis, Daytona Bike week, Laconia - those are traditionally Harley dominated events. I wouldn't start off with one of those if you have any feelings of insecurity about riding a Super-Scooter. But frankly, a lot of the answer lies in your own confidence level. It's like when you were in school. If you were sensitive about something, other kids would pick on you about it. I don't feel that my AN650 is inferior to any motorcycle. And I've ridden enough different motorcycles to support that opinion. But I'd still choose a rally where there would be more folks likely to interface with me - more fun that way. Americade would be high on my list - Sturgis would be fairly low.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You will find it imposable to be a total outcast so long as your best friend is yourself.
Besides you may want to consider any one that doesn't except scooter may not be worth your trouble getting to know :wink:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Mera said:
At Sturgis and other big rallies, how are Burgman and other Maxi Scooters viewed. I am considering going to one in the future but don't want to be a total outcast. Has anyone taken their Maxi to an event?
Hi Mera,

We attended Sturgis Bike Week this year and had a ball. We were in the area for about 10 days and I rode everywhere on my Burgman and never had a problem. Please see my post in Road Stories at http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2139

Go. It's a great experience. PM or e-mail me if you have questions. BTW it's not too early to make reservations. I had to wait a year because the campground we wanted was booked when I tried to make reservations in March of 2003.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
719 Posts
pauljo said:
Sturgis, Daytona Bike week, Laconia - those are traditionally Harley dominated events.
I've been to Daytona a couple times. One year my buddies wanted to go to some dive called "The Last Resort", a bit out of town, where steak dinners were being served for $6.00 (if I recall). There were women wearing body paint, a mechanical bull, and scairiest of all, a tree out back called "the Japanese Garden Hangin' Tree" with Japanese bikes lynched thereon.

When I got to the place, there was some agressive jockying for parking, like Christmas at the Mall with black leather, in the overflow lot across the street. I felt uneasy and said to myself, "forget this place," and was going to catch up with my buddies to tell them I was splitting. As I tracked them down near the front of the building, a spot was being vacated...just three away from the front door; I snagged it. It would have made a funny picture: Black, Black, Black, Harley, Harley, Harley, my yellow ZX-6R, Black Harley, Black Harley. My licence plate at the time, as now, read "DRASTIC," and I guess the crowd believed it because the bike was fine upon my return.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Americade

I rode my 400 to Americade this year and had a blast. Even met another fellow with another 400, and a lady on a Reflex. The Honda folks had a slew of Silverwings for demo rides... Didn't matter at Americade what you rode, just that you rode :D
Happy New Year, all
-diane
Sylvester (My silver steed) is hibernating in the garage, awaiting Spring Thaw...

·
Registered
319 Posts
400 to Americade

This past June, my wife rode her 400 to Americade, from Buffalo.
She had a ball! We've been going to Americade since 1987, and this was the best yet! To say she was welcomed is an understatement! Everywhere she parked the Burgie, a crowd developed. The neatest thing was the HarleyBoys and the HarleyGirls wanting to sit on the burgie, and get thier pictures taken. No-one gave her a hard time, but be aware that Americade is a family oriented (no pun intended) event, and the 1%'ers were nowhere in evidence.

I must admit though, it was a real hoot to watch her smoke the 883's at the stoplights! A crowd favorite, too!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Start small if your not sure...

I was unsure of the reception the first time that I went to a bike meet, so I started out small. Since your from the local area, why not try the First Sunday bike meets in Ephrata. There's always a group with scooters; Aprillia, Honda, Suzuki, etc. I think that you will find fellow motorcyclists more accomodating than you might think. Must be the us vs. them (cagers) mentality.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Re: Start small if your not sure...

cbushman said:
I was unsure of the reception the first time that I went to a bike meet, so I started out small. Since your from the local area, why not try the First Sunday bike meets in Ephrata. There's always a group with scooters; Aprillia, Honda, Suzuki, etc. I think that you will find fellow motorcyclists more accomodating than you might think. Must be the us vs. them (cagers) mentality.
Hi cbushman! Where do they meet in Ephrata? Sounds interesting.
Don

·
Registered
9 Posts
The meet in Ephrata is held in large parking lot. I always ride Rt. 322 into Ephrata till I get to the Fire Police directing traffic. They will direct you int the parking lot. I remember seeing a community pool next door. Hope that helps.

Chris

·
Registered
605 Posts
I went to a BMW rally (Washington BWM club Selton rally 2004) with my 400 and was very well received. Most of the wives of the husbands wanted to have a sit and test of the riding position. I won't have met some of the people I did if I had brought my BMer. I had a great time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts