Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Administrator
18,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking at light weight trailers for years.

For my trike build, I found a Youtube of a 'Teardrop' camper a guy tows behind his eBike. With a few upgrades it would be freeway ready.

Its made by making Polyisocranate foam in plywood panels and fiberglass over that. See video

His weighs about 250 pounds and sleeps 1 comfortably and has storage spaces. I would add a 3rd plywood center section and do a second layer of coarse chop Fiberglass inside to make it stronger at freeway speeds. I also think I'd add a 4-8 gallon gas tank under it.

Being up front, the costs to build one will be about $3,200+ due to costs of Epoxy resin and glass mat.
His e-plans download are $10 from Etsy
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Edited to add Trike. Will not tow behind 2 wheels

· Administrator
18,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

· Premium Member
108 Posts
I have been looking at light weight trailers for years. I found a Youtube of a 'Teardrop' camper a guy tows behind his eBike. With a few upgrades it would be freeway ready.
Dave...you are a brave soul! Let's look at this for a moment. It's a camper he's designed to be pulled by his e-bike. Okay...now...let's first understand that e-bikes on average go between 15-20mph top speed. So I'm gathering his travels will be limited to backroads, alleys, and pigtrails. Looking at the design of the "camper" I would be willing to wager that IF it were able to be modified enough to be taken on the highway behind a motorcycle or scooter...it would not fare well. I cringe at the thought of meeting an oncoming semi!! We all know what the wind blast can feel like even WITHOUT anything in tow!! The camper's relatively narrow stance...it's relatively tall stature...and the lack of any towing stabilizers would have the rider, his bike, and the camper careening off the road like a couple of buttercups being blown across a mill pond!! :LOL: Not sure why anyone would want to pull a camper like this behind an e-bike either. From what I'm told they have a maximum range of about 50 miles tops. Hook a trailer behind it and you're looking at 20 miles. So you're not going far from home before you have to spend the night in the camper and recharge the bike. :sleep: I would opt for something with a somewhat wider track and lower height. Hmmmmm...now let's see...I can get a small utility trailer brand new for around $600 at Tractor Supply...and get a coffin on Amazon for $900. Put them together and (Badda Boom...Badda Bing) you got yourself a stable one-man camper with very little wind resistance and a low center of gravity for $1500! :ROFLMAO: No...seriously...I mean it!!!
Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Plant

Pretty sure you'd have any campground all to yourself too since nobody would want to camp near "Dracula" 🧛‍♂️ :ROFLMAO: And as an added bonus...when you come to the end of your life's journey...you can be interred in your camper!!! :ROFLMAO:

· Administrator
18,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not really thinking about towing this with two wheels. Just an idea for if I do my 3 wheel reverse trike. I'd try to make it a Pop Top to lower it.

Yes its too tall and frontal area for 60 MPH.

My thoughts for a two wheel bike trailer is a narrow and long Thule car top carrier. I have an older model here. It will not be a CAMPER but will haul my camp gear, luggage, Cpap gear, 4 batteries for the Cpap and charger.

Reactions: Cajun Cowboy

· Registered
2,662 Posts
I could see something like this working, almost, if you weren't in any hurry whatsoever.

Consider the possibility of a tent trailer built for an actual tent -- that is, a flatbed with the trailer deck exactly matching the tent's footprint. Replace tent pegs with carbiners, and provide sockets in the deck for the tent poles. Might need removable or folding horizontal struts to anchor the tent ropes, depending on the tent's design.

Cargo (luggage, gear, and perhaps the tent) goes in a removable container on the deck. Stop, unload, pitch the tent on the trailer deck.

· Registered
2,472 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: Dave_J

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,924 Posts
@Uncle Fester , that looks big for a pull behind teardrop camper.

@Dave_J , You might recall I've mentioned that I used to tow pop-up campers behind my bikes... 2 wheels. I towed a TimeOut pop-up camper behind my GW and a Kompact Kamp Mini-Mate pop-up camper behind my ST1100. I remember at the Davis Motorcycle Rally in Iowa I've been to a few times I saw a few Burgman 650 riders from Washington state show up pulling Mini-Mate campers behind them. Those are only 265 lbs and cost around $4000 new. Not that much more than that home-made teardrop camper after you've made it a little more highway capable (if possible with added fiberglass, wheels and axles). And the Mini-Mate is already designed for the highway from the git-go. It's my favorite mc camper and I keep thinking that if I were to go back to a camper that would be the one. It's just so easy to set up.

Kompact Kamp | Mini Mate Motorcycle Camper Trailer ($3895)

Pulling a camper, or any trailer, behind a 2 OR 3 wheeled vehicle does take more skill than just riding. But it can be done with no more danger than just being on the highway regardless what you drive. I agree that there is an increase amount of care how you ride when pulling a trailer... just like doing the same with a truck pulling a small or medium RV camper. Starting up takes longer, and more importantly stopping takes a lot longer. Wind can be an issue. More than not having the trailer back there but not as much as you would think. I would have no issues pulling a camper behind a Burgman or my AK 550.

If we all just considered the result of meeting a semi/18 wheeler head on while on the highway none of us would be riding any scooter or driving any other vehicle including a truck or SUV for that matter. If that is the main concern or worry than it's time to hang up the keys and take the bus or just stay home. We all can play the fear of the worse possible thing happening game but that does nothing to help us become better on the road. These days I fear about getting shot just walking down the street downtown so maybe I should just stay home. Well, that won't work 'cuz I hear of some getting shot by stray bullets while inside their own houses minding their own business. I guess that all just amounts to fear-mongering. Instilling fear in others over something there is little to no true knowledge about.

Here is my Mini-Mate hitched to my ST1100.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

And set up.
Plant Sky Tent Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Registered
131 Posts
Mini mate campers are made about 35 minutes away from me in Myerstown, PA. They're pretty neat campers for their intended purpose and if I were in the market, that's the route I'd go personally. I've seen a couple in person and they seem very well made.

For the $ difference between doing it myself or buying a mini mate, that'd be an easy decision for me. I'd save the time spent making it and use it for riding instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts