Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 650, which I love, but being a bigger guy, there isn't as much legroom on it as I'd like... does anyone know, or have done, any way to make the seat made for 2 into a single seat? Is that even possible? Highway pegs were my other thought, but nowhere to really add a set.

Just looking for thoughts.

Shawn

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a 07 650, which I love, but being a bigger guy, there isn't as much legroom on it as I'd like... does anyone know, or have done, any way to make the seat made for 2 into a single seat? Is that even possible? Highway pegs were my other thought, but nowhere to really add a set.

Shawn
Two thoughts come to mind. 1st is your backrest is removable. There are two screws on the underside of the seat on the metal rods. If you release the seat adjustment and watch the underside they will appear. Now these small screws are bitch to get out, I used my Craftsman diamond impregnated screwdriver. Use your best and don't strip. With those removed you can release and remove the backrest. If that suits you iv heard folks on this group have found something to fill the holes left. 2nd option is to buy a backrest Mega Legroom replacement bracket that moves the butt rest back 2" and 3"
Up for more of a backrest. I personally ride with one of those, here is an item number cut and paste in eBay 254995423274 good luck as you find your way to comfort.

·
Premium Member
14,326 Posts
If removing the back rest doesn't give you enough room then a custom seat or rebuilt of your seat is the only solution. The step up behind the riders area makes a do it yourself job difficult.

I solved the problem with a Corbin custom seat. They build their seats on their own seat pan and the one I bought is built on a pan with the rise behind the driver moved back about 3 inches. When I bought it they called that the Corbin Long. Think they might have another name for it now. That does make the passenger area much smaller.

Corbin seats are a love it or hate it kind of deal. They are on the hard side and take a long time to break in. Many folks can't stand to ride them long enough to get them broke in. If you can then they become pretty comfortable.

Other custom seat builders use the stock pan with redesigned padding and covers. They gain a little room by removing the adjustable back rest. They gain more by making the rider seat area a little higher.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Shawn
I am 6'3" and have never gotten along with 'you must sit here' seats. This is function over form. Cut away seat plastic, then rebuild the seat pan with aluminum straps and lexan, refoam and try it out. If you care about looks, send it off to Sargents. They will refoam and recover it. I did this on a Vstrom 1000 and had many happy. This gave me 3 or 4 inches and all day comfort.
seat1.jpg
seatMod.jpg

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have seen the back rest removed and replaced with the head rest of a car. It is therefore taller and offer a bit of lumbar support. You can see it here on my avatar picture. I have removed it immediately as i didn't like it. The previous owner was 72 and he left the original backrest under the seat when I bought the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts