Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The test report of the Big Ruckus at http://www.cmgonline is fairly vague.
Granted it was test mainly on the highways in the Florida Keys probably not the optimum test bed for the beast.
The seat is adjustable fore and aft by 3.5 inches and is adjusted via lever like a car seat. The back rest is either down flat or at 75 degrees, your choice. The tester at 6' 4" was reasonably comfortable in the furthest back position. He was not too, too sore after 2 hours in the saddle. The seating position is pretty much feet forward cruiser style and the back rest is welcome for the position.
The acceleration to 50kmh was quite brisk. Acceleration slowed to 100 kmh and dropped right off the cliff after that. No top speed was indicated as they "weren't willing to wait to find out". They felt for the design it should have more power maybe even have a power button ala B650. The motor is smooth. The steering is quick as its' intended to be a town scoot, and as such, on the highway body movement did induce directional changes fairly easily. The suspension worked well on the smooth roads that it was tested on. The brakes are semi linked - left front and rear, right front only.
They felt it was priced high considering what it was.

Rubble

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Could add you a JATO for those really steep hills to Paul. :roll:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These guys absolutely fell in love with the original Ruckus and perhaps they were expecting to feel 2 or 3 times the same goodness. Instead, it is a different machine altogether and I think thier expectations, not the machine sort of left them flat. What they said was it is not the big brother to the original Ruckus, more like the ugly 2nd cousin (ouch!).

Rubble

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have to admit that the first time I saw the Ruckus it was horrible ... but I saw it again today and played around on it a bit and found that I could change my mind. It is a rather bold concept and it will probably be a trend to come. In the meantime, I wouldn't buy one, but I would like to ride one. With the current maxi scoots to contend with ... it is definitely a jeep.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Texas Cycle,

I too almost laughed at the Ruckus the first time I saw it. On second glance though, I liked it a lot better and after all this talk will probably sit on it and check it out on next dealer visit (dealer open house is coming up soon.) Thanks Rubble for bringing up topic.

Burgwoman400 USA

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I am almost ashamed to admit this...

It was the appeal of the Ruckus 50 that first got me interested in the idea of buying a scoot. I simply loved the looks and economy of it, and would probably own one save for the fact that my subdivision exits exclusively onto a 55 MPH highway that actually moves about 65MPH. Therefore, any 50cc scoot was totally out of the question. Despite this, I loved that little thing the first time I laid eyes on it, and have been equally fond of the big 'un since it came out.

If I didn't already have the 400, I'd probably own a Big Ruckus; if I'd had any idea it was coming out, I'd probably have delayed my purchase (and have ended up with a scoot that wasn't nearly as useful, I'll add). While I still think 250cc is too small for my 300 pounds, and I'd really miss the fairing, I may well own one yet as a second bike. Every time I see one, it gets more tempting.

·
Registered
520 Posts
texascycle said:
I have to admit that the first time I saw the Ruckus it was horrible ... but I saw it again today and played around on it a bit and found that I could change my mind. With the current maxi scoots to contend with ... it is definitely a jeep.
Like my 650 KLR, picture the 250 Rucus with BIG ammo cans bolted on the sides etc. Has a LOT of potential to convince the neighbors how "normal" we are when they see it.......
I loved it the moment I saw it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have had two KLR650's, a 92 and 02 ... then they made the military version with the diesel motor ... thinking about the way maxi scoots run I think a diesel motor might actually have some benefits ... hmmm

·
Registered
520 Posts
texascycle said:
I have had two KLR650's, a 92 and 02 ... then they made the military version with the diesel motor ... thinking about the way maxi scoots run I think a diesel motor might actually have some benefits ... hmmm
Sure glad I'm not the ONLY one with these thoughts! :oops:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Our distributor brought one of the Baja's to the shop a couple weeks ago. I was impressed with the performance, just as with the Ruckus, but just absolutely hate the design. Maybe it will catch on, who know. Maybe we should keep one in stock, as there are several of the Ruckus 50's in town. I just don't know if I could look at that thing every day. :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
what the heck is the "big ruckus?"
the 250!?
it's "a beast!?
with an automatic?
hmmmm.
just curious. i've looked at and thunk, oh well, its cute, what's not to like about alla dat piping and tubing an big tires an stuf?
sigh, but id rather have a vintage vespa 3 speed 250.
jmo...i guess im sorta hard to please today... :( tgif. but i guess to cheer meself up ill say this...now talk about a scary 400 dollar bike (i know - we weren't) but i bought my ds185 for that much (lucked out big time - it came out of a time warp - nary a scratch and 20 years old) and, talk about some dirt road FUN! that thing was wheelie bound! 1st gear fugettaboutit. 2nd gear? if you were good, you keep the front end up with a quick speedshift to 3rd...and then, by around 50? well - i dunno. but i do know doin wheelies through 2nd gear on an old fire road is daaaaamn fun! this pix took outside my dblwide when i was telecommutin for two years. It was a "pure" enduro - not street legal, but it did have a headlight and taillight. No speedo, so I can only guess but my but said it would do better than 70 on pavement..(which, yeas, every once and I while I would hit the highway at night! On knobbies, at a way too fast speed, heck, you gotta LIVE every once ana while right! - Good thing I didnt die!) ciao fer now...pedz

·
Registered
553 Posts
Rubble said:
The problem with the Ruckus is ( and I'd love to have one ) that the price is the same as I paid for my 400 and for that much money I would buy another 400 for my wife :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
The 250s and 400s share the same most components apart from the engine lumps themselves, so development costs are pretty much identical, hence pricing being almost identical on both this side of the pond and on yours.

If the Big Rukus was made by Suzuki or Yamaha, they could simply slot in a 400cc lump to make a model more appealing to the world market, at very little increase in cost.

The Japan market is segmented into 250/400/unlimited to mirror the driving license categories. Needless to say 250 licenses are the easiest to get, and as 250 machines are exempt from the ultra strict biannual vehicle inspection, 250cc machines are extremely popular in Japan.

Honda differs from the other manufacturers in that they don’t make a single cylinder 400cc lump for their scooters, electing instead to slot in a sleaved down parallel twin from the SilverWing 600 into their SilverWing 400. My understanding is that the Big Rukus is based on Helix components – as opposed to the SilveWwing - so there won’t be a 400cc version appearing anytime soon, and therefore no opportunity to get some equilibrium with pricing with 400cc big-scooters. :(

·
Registered
116 Posts
lycheed,

Sounds like you have some inside information :idea: ... have you ever worked with any of the manufacturers? The TMax is a twin, but as far as I know it is the only Yamaha scoot with more than one cylinder. Are there others in Japan? Any news on Yamaha enhancing the TMax?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ruckus cost

lycheed said:
The 250s and 400s share the same most components apart from the engine lumps themselves, so development costs are pretty much identical, hence pricing being almost identical on both this side of the pond and on yours.

:(
The thing is that the Honda Rebel which is a 250 sells for $3,000 and the Ruckus Sells for $5,200 :p

·
Registered
498 Posts
Re: Ruckus cost

swstiles said:
lycheed said:

:(
The thing is that the Honda Rebel which is a 250 sells for $3,000 and the Ruckus Sells for $5,200 :p
I was referring to the scooters, as the price differential between 250 and 400 scooters was being discussed. A clear example of this is the Majesty 250/400 and Burgman AN250/400.

FYI, pricing of the 250/400 scooters may compare badly with with other 250/400 conventional bikes until you think about their specification (does the Rebel 250 have two 35/55W headlights, linked brakes, 55 litres of trunk space, front compartments that can store a rain suit, wallet and mobile phone, a power jack, and all day comfortable seating for two?), and the fact that the manufacturers are still having to recoup developement costs at the moment.

·
Registered
498 Posts
texascycle said:
lycheed,

Sounds like you have some inside information :idea: ... have you ever worked with any of the manufacturers? The TMax is a twin, but as far as I know it is the only Yamaha scoot with more than one cylinder. Are there others in Japan? Any news on Yamaha enhancing the TMax?
:oops: I don't have any inside information as such, I just research all avenues well before purchase - I have made two big-scooter purchases in the last 3 years.

Yamaha only make the Majesty line-up and Tmax at the moment – both of which are offered to the world market, possibly with the exception of the Majesty 250, which is a Majesty 400 with a smaller engine to meet the needs of young Japanese that ride only in the city and would to avoid the strict and costly bi-annual Japanese vehicle inspections.

The Tmax, Silverwing and AN650 are the only twin cylinder big-scooters in production in the world today.

The 2005 Tmax has a number of evolutionary changes over the – 2004:
• New instrument panel – the old Tmax had a simple speedo without tachometer, which made it look cheap and 100cc scooter-like. The dual white faced dials it has now are very similar in design to those on the Majesty, without the deep facia.
• 15 inch wheel – the new Tmax has a 15 inch rear nd 14inch front, which is interestingly the opposite to the AN650s 15inch front and 14 inch rear. The old Tmax had 14 inch front and rear wheels.
• Dual front disc brakes replace the single disc of previous
• No change with the engine – a surprise for many owners as this is weakest point of an otherwise extremely strong package.
• No change with the poor underseat space
• Still the same great looks.

I’ll let you know if any developments take place.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts