Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone has seen this or not.

Introducing the KYMCO Xciting 500. Scooter to the max. The 500cc, DOHC liquid cooled engine delivers an excellent cruising speed and plenty of passing power while the CVT transmission provides stepless acceleration from a stand still all the way up to cruising speed. The 15" front and 14" rear tires, adjustable hydraulic rear shocks and telescopic front forks smooth out the bumps. A well-padded driver's seat with adjustable backrest, 4 postion adjustable brake levers, aerodynamic windscreen offering excellent protection from the elements all add up to a incredibly comfortable and safe ride.Features a speedometer, tachometer, fuel and temp gauges with digital odometer, tripmeter and clock. Dash and in front of seat storage as well as under seat dual helmet storage. Dual folding electric mirrors. Helmet hook. Integrated windshield. Cell phone holder with 12V DC adapter. ABS brakes as an option and a 2 Year Factory Warranty.

Tried to post a picture but couldnt. It looks really sharp.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am very interested in the price of this machine. The specs are very robust, even including electric mirrors. The 2 year warranty and overnight shipping of parts really blew me a way also. One thing though, the 2.4 gal. gas tank is a bit on the small side.

I am pretty impressed.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Gorgeous! Particularly in that Orange color. Wheel size is same as Burgman 650 (15" front, 14" rear) - another nice feature. But the gas tank is too small - that would be a show stopper for me. A 3.5 gallon tank would be about the smallest I'd consider.

Kymco is definitely becoming a contender from a product standpoint. Like Piaggio / Aprilia, they need a decent dealer network in the USA though to become a real option for folks who tour.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You can see from my avatar my little Kymco Super 9s. The build quality is very good and the product is well supported. I have a good service manual and parts list and have no trouble getting parts. I'd have no problem buying another one.

Thanx
Russ

P.S. Scooter shops are kind of a little cottage industry but any shop that works on "Twist and go's" should have no problem servicing any modern scooter. Kymco service is no problem, there are plenty of shops in the USA.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Russ Schaeffer said:
P.S. Scooter shops are kind of a little cottage industry but any shop that works on "Twist and go's" should have no problem servicing any modern scooter. Kymco service is no problem, there are plenty of shops in the USA.
Boy, I'd hesitate to say that about some Suzuki dealers though, after some of the tales that have been told on this forum. :?

Problem in this part of the country is that there are no "scooter shops". Just huge multi-brand motorcycle dealerships, some of them carrying the Honda / Suzuki / Yamaha scooter lines, and some of them trying to avoid it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I too am curious about the price. I wouldn't be interested in it though as my 650 is "perfect". I want to know if the tires are radials. If they are, tires should become more accessible.

·
Registered
466 Posts
pauljo,

You are right good motorcycle/scooter service is hard to come by from what I see and hear. I do all my own service because I know I'll do a decent job but for those people that have to use a dealer it really is bleak. I only suggested scooter shops because they are familiar with the workings of CVT drive systems and scooter bodywork. I think working on a Vespa is closer to working on a Burgman than a GSXR! The Burgman is a different animal than most motorcycles and most mechanics just want to work on something they are familiar with so they can make some money and move on to the next job. If you find a good dealership it's more important than what brand of bikes they carry. Thank goodness I don't have to rely on them.

Thanx
Russ

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have a scooter shop near me (Sir Scooter & they have a web page) & they carry Kymco. They told me this scooter was coming quite a few months ago & I have been waiting for it.
The small gas tank is a disapointment but if the mileage is good it may be usable. The Honda CX 500 had a 2 1/2 gal tank & was only 100 miles to dry. That made the trip to Las Vegas a real hassle & was when I started to carry a one liter spare gas can.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Hmm... Just went to look at the specs for this pretty orange toy again. Standard 2 year warranty? Optional ABS brakes? I do think it is going to attract some buyers. In fact, I'd consider it seriously against the Yamaha Majesty if I lived near a Kymco dealer.

From what I've seen of Kymco fit and finish, and what I've heard regarding the Majesty's fit and finish, parked side to side, the Kymco 500 will win hands down.

I love it when the competition heats up. We could use a good magazine shootout between the 400cc - 500cc scoots now available in the USA. You know, one where they actually put some miles on the machines and explore their capabilities in acceleration, handling, ride comfort, utility - not a stupid writeup done from reading the manufacturer's brochures. I think the Burgman 400 would still compete well overall - but I think it might find itself challenged in some areas.

What I'd really like to know, is who has something in development that will challenge the Burgman 650 as a scooter sport tourer... :wink:

Competition is exciting. Without it, significant product improvement isn't going to happen - and growth of the overall scooter market in the USA will suffer.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The only item (besides a small gas tank) I don't like on the Kymco is the seat height. :(
But from want I have read it may be one fine scooter...

·
Registered
65 Posts
The "Kid" in town..

I know Kymco quite well. they are very popular here and quite reliable scooters.
The new member looks nice but:
1. do they have Fuel injection ?
2. do they have Combined Brakes System ? (I guess Yes, they had it on the Grand Dink).
Anyway I belive they will be more reliable than X9 and Gillera 500.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The Kymco web site said overnight shipping on parts, which means they have Aprillia beat hands down. It can take months to get Aprillia parts!!!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hyundai has a ten year warranty on their cars, but that only makes me
mull over about why it may need a ten year warranty. Hmmm.

Everything from computers to toys, I'm left with the impression that Taiwanese
quality may be on the light side. Who wants to order one of these scoots
and come back in 18 months with pictures of leaky seals, rusted 'chrome' parts
and overnight orders that may Back Order before they're overnighted?
Can you get the wheels off yourself or do you need more tools than what
they've put in a little pouch for you?

Regardless of promises from abroad about the next wave of wheels that
out-style my K3, I'm going to own my Burgy for a few years and snub
financing charges and vehicle-valued state license registrations and head-scratching
mechanics that have "not heard of that before" plus $50 service manuals
that come with new rolling stock.

It's rare in life that I can win a race by doing nothing but this is one of them.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
ajwood said:
Everything from computers to toys, I'm left with the impression that Taiwanese
quality may be on the light side.
Taiwanese quality is actually becoming very good. Japan went through the same metamorphosis. I can remember when "Made in Japan" meant cheap and flimsy. Suddenly it became high quality desirable merchandise. Taiwan has gone through the same evolution. The new kid on the block is mainland China. They are rapidly hitting the US market in clothing - and they make the Velux scooter too. They are still in the dubious quality stage. Good looking shirts and jackets with neck sizes too small for the body size - that sort of mistake. But their merchandise already looks good in appearance. The Velux scooter has a list of standard features that is very impressive - there was one at Scootercade and it drew a lot of attention. Taiwan has arrived. China is coming up fast.

I still regard the Chinese Velux as an interesting piece with unproven quality. But the Taiwanese Kymco is ready for prime time. All they need is a larger dealer network to succeed in the US.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yes, if Kymco taps into existing major brand dealerships with incentive margins and support.

I'll give it a couple of years from now while other buyers do the leg work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agree with Pauljo 100% !

They improve the quality all the time.
80% of the scooters here are Kymco or SYM and they are good and reliable.
By the way I have a Hundai Accent for 7 years and it is suprisingly GOOD.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Fine French Linens

Alright Bendi, I still remember my company Precis of more than 10 years ago.
Those first impressions are hard to kick.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts