Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide what Burger would be good for me. I am 6'5" and 265lbs. I am going to be using the scoot for my daily work commute, which is ~23 miles each way. Most of the trip will be on roads where I will be lucky if speeds hit 55 mph due to traffic. I will use the scoot for around town stuff and trips to my parents house which would put me on an express way for about 40 miles with the speed limit of 70 mph.

I like the price of the 400 over the 650 (of course), but am mainly concerned with two things.

1.Will I look and feel like Lurch on this thing? The local dealer that I stopped at only had a used 650. They were too tightly wedged together to allow me to sit on the bike and lean it upright. They did not have a 400 in stock.
2.Does the 400 have enough power to haul someone that is my size around and still be able to get out of the cages way? I don't want to be holding up traffic while I accelerate.

I will mostly do 1up riding, with the occasional trip with my daughter, who only weights 110 lbs.

I forgot to mention that my previous bike was a Kawasaki ZRX 1200. So I don't think that the 650 would be too much for me. I have also completed the MSF course back in 2001.

Thanks for any help on this.

Tom L.
Hoping to be a new Burger owner.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Tom :wave:

Welcome to the forum. I personally think giving your height that you should look at the 650. It offers more leg room than the 400. Both will do the job you require but I think you will be more comfortable on the 650.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Tom,
Like allen said both will do the job. The 400 has more then enough power to leave all but the "hot rods" at the light and so does the 650.
Find a dealer were you can try out both, in your case I think your comfort (fit) should be the deciding factor. And what your main use for the bike is.

And Welcome :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 400 and 650 are the same length. The 650 is 2" taller and 2" wider. Of course the 650 has more power and the ability to shift manually or automatically. Being as tall as you are, you will probably be more comfortable on the 650.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK mama's boy,

I understand both of your questions and would like to help.

Your first question asks whether you will look like a 'lurch' on a Burgman? Well, just how big is your head? Is it flattened on the top? And your skin-tone, a little pasty maybe? If you answer yes to any of these, consider a large car with dark tint. Or better yet don't leave the house at all.

In response to your second question..., 'if the 400 has enough power to haul someone your size around'...Well, you mentioned that you are a whopping 265!! I mean, Jesus!! Just what do you eat???

OK, one last thing. You mentioned taking your daughter out for rides. What about your wife? Is she too hideous to leave the house or is she buried in the back yard? What's up with that?

Hope this helps with your decision.

Fxy_Biker_Chk
:wink:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, I show my wife the thread, and she registers and posts the above message. Please disregard the above!!!

Thanks everyone else. I have found a dealer that has both in stock and will be paying them a visit tomorrow.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hah! I love it! :D

Okay, Mama's boy. First, welcome to you and your bride. You're just what we need around here - more of the same. :D

If the 400 fits, it'll do whatever you ask, and more (like to the tune of 20+ extra miles per gallon). If it don't, take the big plunge and get the 650. It's hard to pass up a certified honest-to-goodness touring bike for half the price of any other choice. 8)

Steve

Gear up!

·
Registered
307 Posts
To tall?

Tom,

I am a brand new Burg owner and won't pretend that I know all about Burgs. I will tell you though that I went through exactly the same situation as you. I am also 6'5" and weigh 245 lbs. One answer to your question might be whether or not you are long in the legs or in the torso. I found that even though I only have a 34" inseam, my knees rubbed against the dash of a 400 whenever I kept them straight. This does not occur with the 650, as a matter of fact I have a couple of inches kneeroom to spare.

If your height is in your leg-length, you might find that you are hitting on either bike. You definetely need to sit on one to find out. If the dealer you mentioned is in the business to make money, he should be glad to roll out both bikes for you to sit on.

Some folks suggest that a buyer can always pull the backrest off to gain more room, but personnaly I wouldn't do that to a new bike unless you absolutely had your heart set on getting that particular model. (But that's just me! )

Good luck

Bill

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I can't address your height issue, but I'm a very fat 320 punds and 5'10". Last Sunday night, I rode 200 miles of Interstate including hills steep enough to require a truck lane, and never once felt I lacked power on my 400. I held 70 MPH (77 indicated) with no real effort. I've owned many cars and pickups that do not handle that particular stretch of road nearly so well.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
tluebbe said:
Great, I show my wife the thread, and she registers and posts the above message. Please disregard the above!!!

Thanks everyone else. I have found a dealer that has both in stock and will be paying them a visit tomorrow.
Well, coming from your wife, I think it is funny. :lol: :lol:

As long as she doesn't pick on anyone else here that way... :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
:D :D :D
That was funny!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Mr and Mrs tluebbe-Fxy_Biker_Chk :D

My suggestion is to not only sit on both bike but ride both, if you can. I'm 6'1 175 lbs and have a 34" inseam but I ride my 400 quite comfortably.

I was going to have my butt rest removed during the bikes PDI, but the dealer suggested I try it first. I am only going to have him remove the two screws for now so that I can put an after market backrest on at a later date.

So my point is, don't go by the numbers, but actually try it out.

One final suggestion, why dont you get TWO Burgs one for her and one for him :wink:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Tom,

I'm 6' 4", 33" inseam (yes, most of my height is in the torso), and now weigh 295. I trid both, could fit fairly comfortably on both, and would have bought a 400 but for one issue, I suffer fron a spinal cord injury, my back is as delicate as porcelin china, and I also suffer from diabetic neuropathy, an extremly painful condition.

The 650 gave me many more options to finding a comfortable riding position so I bit the bullet, spent the money and am now looking forward to riding for as long as my condition will permit. I am already requiring spinal armor, just in case, but that won't stop me.

I hate being a prisoner in my own home, and these blasted gas prices were pretty much leaving me stranded two weeks a month.

The point of this tirade is this: if you are reasonably healthy, & can find a comfy position on the 400 buy it. In fact, buy two so the 'ol ball & chain can go with. (Please don't throw things, I'm just kidding, really!) If you don't feel comfortable on the 400, see if you can find a clean used 650 so you can afford to get your lovely bride a 400.

Remember this: free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it! 8)

·
Registered
367 Posts
650!
I am only 6'3" and 200 but I LOVE my 650! Everyone should have the biggest and best and that is a 650! :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The 650 is the "Big & Tall" model...

You could tweak the 400 to fit you I am pretty sure though. Remove the butt stop and adjust the handlebars upward a bit...

You won't be "holding up traffic" with either model. Traffic will be hard pressed to stay with you. These aren't your grandpa's scooter - both are super scooters. Cruising at 70 mph is no problem for either. Cruising at 80 mph you'll still have lots of kick in reserve to pass on the 650 - the 400 will be less eager to charge forward from that speed, although it can be coaxed up to 95 mph or so. The 400 costs less, and gets better mileage. The 650 handles better if you want to get aggressive in the twisties.

Oh yes... I am slightly taller than you are. 6'6", 34.5" inseam.

It's all in what you want. I love my 650. I also think the 400 is a great scooter.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
well put paul.
my feelings exactly exactly.
:wink:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Tom,
I first owned a 400 and now own a 650. Both will do the job fine for you, but you will probably like the 650 better. Aside from more power, its extra weight makes it more stable in gusting wind and the larger tires make the ride more comfortable. Good luck and ride safe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts