Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having no garage and one small storage barn, I turned to a tarp to protect my new blue baby. What a mistake. The slightest movement of the tarp caused surface scratching anywhere it touched. I was sick and pissed at myself.

I remembered that I had a bottle of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze I had used on some cars I had with a dull finish. I put some on my fingers and lightly rubbed the finish and buffed with a soft cloth. The finish is now back to normal. I'm not even sure it's still available, but I'm glad I still had some.

I had been storing my garden tractor in the barn, but it's now under the tarp. And guess where the burgy is? :wink:

Time to build another barn.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The heck with another barn.....roll it right into the living room like I do :lol:

·
Registered
409 Posts
A Dowco Guardian cover in xl will work fine. Fits and will not scratch

Eddie

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Covers

Some covers have a soft inside surface to prevent scratching. Others I've used in the past were just nylon or similar fabric inside and out - this type packs smaller if your plan on carrying it while touring. I never had a problem with scratching from either type. BUT...

The problem with covers is that dust, dirt, and often moisture (condensation) will still get on the machine under the cover when they are used outside. I rode a Goldwing to the Mid-Ohio races one year. Parked it on a cement slab and put the cover over it. It was a breezy day, and people were also tearing around the parking lot and grounds on ATVs, kicking up clouds of dirt. After the races, I pulled the cover off of the Wing, and was appalled to see that the entire machine was heavily coated with dust & dirt. It was gross! I had to carefully wipe the machine down with a soft towel and spray wax / cleaner before I could ride it away. Overnight condensation will also dry quicker in the morning if the machine is not covered.

A cover is OK for covering the machine in a garage during winter storage. It may also be effective for keeping heavy overnight rain off of the machine when parked overnight on a trip. But if its still raining the next day and you have to ride on, you just end up having to pack a wet cover and the machine still gets soaked. If your riding day ends in a rain ride, I don't think covering a wet machine is a great idea.

Basically, covers aren't good for too much - I don't plan on buying one for either of my machines.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have covers for both the Burgman and Bandit. I only use them for Winter storage. Once Spring comes along, I don't use them.

Eddie

·
Registered
11 Posts
No Garage options either!

I have been using a cover model called the Bike Barn for over 2 years now. I origionally bought the large size for my Goldwing, but kept the unit when I sold the wing. But the Standard size should fit the Burgman. It is a bit pricy at $299, but I strongly recommend it. All weather, wind, including Hurricane Isabelle, rain, and snow here in Northern Virginia, and no problems with the bikes.

You can view their products at...
http://www.thebikebarn.net/

Check it out.
Brian
the InsurancesGuy

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bike Barn

Interesting site. That is more of a tent, than what we were referring to as covers before. But a very clever tent, one that allows you to get the bike in and out of it easily. Glad it has worked well for you. I finally bought a house with a two car garage a couple of years ago, but I owned lots of bikes without a garage before that. Paid for a commercial storage locker for the prior eight years to keep my motorcycles in... At about $90/month for the commercial storage, it makes the bike barn a very inexpensive alternative.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I just bought a cover for my burger in the past week. The problem I have is the trees that over hang my parking area. I have big problems with the sap dripping on the vehicles. So I bought my cover for the sole purpose of keeping it sapless.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link Dunn. That's a very interesting piece of equip. What to do...So many things I need to buy for my burgy :)

allwalk...great idea...if i can make it look like a sofa...I might get it by the wife :wink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just a few comments on the cover thing. If you use one, it's really important that the bike be clean prior to covering it. A quick once-over with a wet wash cloth and drying rag (it it's not too dirty to begin with---then you'll need a real wash) to remove the dust is vital. Otherwise, if there's any cover movement from the wind, it's just going to be "sanding" down the finish on the bike. Also, cleaning the bike won't be enough if the inside of the cover is already coated with dust/grime...it'll need a wash or hose down. I use a cover, but only on road trips and during the storage months. :wink:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Covers are also the biggest deterrent against theft, so anyone who lives in an apartment in a city would be well advised to use covers to keep unwanted attention off his machine whislt he is away. Afterall, it's difficult to case a machine if you can't see what it is, or what type of lock is being used.

I'd rather carefully apply wax before covering my machine, than not have a machine at all.

And for those that live in sunny countries, covers keep direct sunlight off the bike which will help prevent the colour fading. I cover all my machines everyday, without fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts