Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it is time to get a real horn for my 2009 400. I want one that can be easily heard because I just started to ride with a group where if someone misses a light behind me and I notice it, I am supposed to beep my horn and the person in front off me will then beep theirs,etc. and and I don't want to be the weak link in the chain. So.....best horn and best place to mount it? Hardwire it directly to the battery?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I managed to shoe horn a Stebel Nautilus in the stock location with a little modification to plastic on my 08. It gets peoples attention.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Keith, nice job on the install, does it help you be noticed in Brooklyn and elsewhere?

Ride safe! :thumbup:
Wes

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
If you want an easy install, a number of companies make flat disc horns that look just like the stock horn but are much louder. They can be bolted right in the stock horn location and plugged into the stock wiring harness. I have one made a Fiamm on my 400 that produces 130 db of output and I have no problem being heard when I punch the horn button.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Wes_Ingram said:
Keith, nice job on the install, does it help you be noticed in Brooklyn and elsewhere?

Ride safe! :thumbup:
Wes
Yes it does get me noticed, there are very few occasions where it doesn't get their attention. It seemed like people just ignored the stock horn for some reason.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Buffalo - happen to know the model/part # of the Fiamm? Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
jeff_MDR said:
Buffalo - happen to know the model/part # of the Fiamm? Sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.
The one I have is the Fiamm 40310 high tone. I bought it at O'Reiley's a number of years ago. Here is a link to a listing for it on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-40310-Term-Universal-Bracket/dp/B000FKIMAA

There are other companies that make similar horns. On a different thread someone said they found one made by Wolo and I think Hella also makes them. Check your local autoparts store and see what they have hanging on their rack. The db rating should be shown on the package. Just look to make sure it has a two terminal negative and positive hook up and not just a single terminal positive with ground through the mount.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
tomfelock said:
I think it is time to get a real horn for my 2009 400. I want one that can be easily heard because I just started to ride with a group where if someone misses a light behind me and I notice it, I am supposed to beep my horn and the person in front off me will then beep theirs,etc. and and I don't want to be the weak link in the chain. So.....best horn and best place to mount it? Hardwire it directly to the battery?
Hey Tom........!!!!!!!! do you think that the subject of a better horn for the 400 has not been discussed in excruciating detail here.??? HUH?? :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
v8eyedoc - FYI - when I ask a question, I know that it most likely has already been discussed but the reason i still ask it is because there may be NEW info./data related to the question that the old posts don't have - DUHHHHHHHHHH - HAHA!

·
Registered
203 Posts
tomfelock said:
v8eyedoc - FYI - when I ask a question, I know that it most likely has already been discussed but the reason i still ask it is because there may be NEW info./data related to the question that the old posts don't have - DUHHHHHHHHHH - HAHA!

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I mounted 2 of those Fiam horns (a Hi and Low tone) to the stock mount. It sounds like a real 2 tone car horn and gets drivers attention. :thumbup:

PS V8- There is a newbie joining almost everyday. But it would be nice if they did search the subject before blowing up the board with repetitive "newbie" questions.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Scootereno said:
PS V8- There is a newbie joining almost everyday. But it would be nice if they did search the subject before blowing up the board with repetitive "newbie" questions.

V8,
1. The thread is called "better horn for 400." If it's 'excruciating' , why even bother to open it, let along comment on it?
2. Or, if you must comment, offering a link to a previous thread would be helpful, or even helpful search directions to find the past link.
3. I haven't researched horns in a couple of years, I found this thread useful reminder, and I got a good lead on a specific horn model from Buffalo. THIS is how members help one another.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
This is how I mounted the Fiam horns on my 2005 400. The picture is the Fiam Hi tone with the stock horn which has since been replaced with the Fiam Low tone. Both mounted off the stock mounting tab with no modification needed except a little bend to make it clear the Tupperware.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
This is great. Looks like it's something that even I can do! Did you just want the pair to be the same make/model? Or was there another reason for changing out the stock horn - loudness, tone, etc?

Thanks for posing the pix.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Scootereno said:
This is how I mounted the Fiam horns on my 2005 400. The picture is the Fiam Hi tone with the stock horn which has since been replaced with the Fiam Low tone. Both mounted off the stock mounting tab with no modification needed except a little bend to make it clear the Tupperware.

Interesting spot for the stock location. Looks good. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
InfernoST said:
Interesting spot for the stock location. Looks good. :thumbup:
Yes that is where the horn is located on the 2003-2006 400. It's right behind the three slots that are visible on the right side of the fairing. You have to remove the fairing to get to the horn.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the picture/location of the stock horn and I'm happy to know TWO horns will fit in the space. :cheers:

Scootereno said:

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I would advise that if you plan to put two horns on you take the time to run heavier wiring from the battery to them and just use the stock wiring to control a relay to turn them on and off. While two horns will function on the stock wiring they will not be as loud as they will be with heavier wires. Also running that much load through the stock wiring can eventually cause you problems. The stock wiring is heavy enough to handle one horn just fine but it is over taxed with two.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Buffalo said:
I would advise that if you plan to put two horns on you take the time to run heavier wiring from the battery to them and just use the stock wiring to control a relay to turn them on and off. While two horns will function on the stock wiring they will not be as loud as they will be with heavier wires. Also running that much load through the stock wiring can eventually cause you problems. The stock wiring is heavy enough to handle one horn just fine but it is over taxed with two.
Good tips. I ran 2 Fiamm Blaster horns to my 82 Yamaha 750 Maxim with all new wiring/fuse/relay and only used the stock horn wire. (I'd love to run them if I can squeeze them onto the Burgie).

That being said, I only had to remove the gas tank to get at all the wires/frame. I haven't started taking off any Burgie tupperware yet. Maybe towards the beginning of winter. I also have the Speedo fix module that I need to install eventually.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
Metal_Bob said:
Buffalo said:
Good tips. I ran 2 Fiamm Blaster horns to my 82 Yamaha 750 Maxim with all new wiring/fuse/relay and only used the stock horn wire. (I'd love to run them if I can squeeze them onto the Burgie).

That being said, I only had to remove the gas tank to get at all the wires/frame. I haven't started taking off any Burgie tupperware yet. Maybe towards the beginning of winter. I also have the Speedo fix module that I need to install eventually.
Since the battery in the 400 is mounted in the glove box all you would have to remove is the fairing. The same thing you would have to remove to mount the horns. Taking it off is no big deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts