Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does using synthetic oil give better gas mileage and if it does, does it give enough better mileage to justify its higher price? I am thinking of using it in my 2013 minivan and I go about 9,000 miles between oil changes because I drive mostly highway driving. My minivan has one of those lights/messages that come on and tell me when its time to change the oil, so going that long between oil changes is still doing what the owners manual recommends.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It's really hard to do apples to apples comparison but assuming you get a 5% bump on gas mileage (unlikely) you would save about $7 on gas between oil changes.

Oil weight seems to have a more noticeable effect on my bike but it's still only about $7 between changes (5w30 vs 10w40).

If your bike doesn't burn oil, you would also get some benefit from extending the service interval but in the big picture it'll be down in the noise of the overall cost of riding.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've used it in large cars, small cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles and scooters. I don't think it makes enough difference to pay for a Starbucks coffee.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
I switched to Shell Rotella T6 5w40 oil in my Burgman 650 and gas mileage went up 2 mpg. I did the same with my Hyundai and also saw a 2 mpg increase. My Subaru has only shown a 1 mpg improvement. In all, it's more than enough to offset the increased cost over dino oil. YMMV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts